Professional Web Applications Themes

Connect To Remote MySQL Using VB6 On Client Machine ! - MySQL

Hi, I want to work on an application where in I distribute the standalone exe to my clients and using that they are able to connect to MySQL database hosted on Linux at my website, mysite.com. I am not sure if this will work or not. 1) Can this setup be worked out, as we wont be bundle any drivers in the setup, as there will be no setup just a standalone exe. 2) What are the references that I need to make in VB database. 3) What connect string will be used. Name of my database is hnkdb. There ...

  1. #1

    Default Connect To Remote MySQL Using VB6 On Client Machine !

    Hi,

    I want to work on an application where in I distribute the standalone
    exe to my clients and using that they are able to connect to MySQL
    database hosted on Linux at my website, mysite.com. I am not sure if
    this will work or not.

    1) Can this setup be worked out, as we wont be bundle any drivers in
    the setup, as there will be no setup just a standalone exe.

    2) What are the references that I need to make in VB database.

    3) What connect string will be used. Name of my database is hnkdb.
    There is one user name created as hndway.

    Any info how I can accomplish these, will be greatly appreciated.

    Love
    Lovely

    lovely_angel_for_you@yahoo.com Guest

  2. #2

    com wrote:

    Without drivers? Impossible.

    You will have to distribute the ODBC drivers (I don't *think* there are
    native MySQl drivers for VB, but I could easily be wrong) and they will
    have to install them. Additionally, they will have to register the ODBC
    database on their system.

    Even if you do find native drivers, you'll still have to distribute the
    driver and install it.

    You'll probably will need one of the installation packages available for
    Windows.

    My suggestion - take a fresh system (just formatted, no VB program, no
    database, etc.) and see what steps you'll have to go through to install
    your application. You'll have to do the same on your clients' system.

    --
    ==================
    Remove the "x" from my email address

  3. #3

    Thanks for the reply. You are right. Not possible without drivers. I
    got the SQLExpress instead of MySQL. And using the same on WinXP
    machine with all the latest updates installed, was just like a breeze.
    No issues so far.

  4. #4

    You really need the ODBC drivers provided by mysql, execpt if you make
    a server side apps
    the server would have the odbc driver and will only use to relay your
    request to the database and send the result into your recordset without
    any connections except the tcp/ip. Usefull when you can't install odbc
    drivers, you server program become you connection/query object

    com wrote:

    Franck Guest