Professional Web Applications Themes

connect to wireless network - Mac Networking

I dn't have an airport - is the air port the ONLY way to go wireless on a mac? There is a wireless network at my work that id like to connect to. Is it possible?...

  1. #1

    Default connect to wireless network

    I dn't have an airport - is the air port the ONLY way to go wireless
    on a mac? There is a wireless network at my work that id like to
    connect to. Is it possible?
    W Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: connect to wireless network

    + com (W i l l):

    | I dn't have an airport - is the air port the ONLY way to go wireless
    | on a mac?

    No, no, no. Airport is just Apple's fancy name for IEEE 803.11
    wireless networking.

    | There is a wireless network at my work that id like to connect
    | to. Is it possible?

    It certainly should be, provided they don't require some VPN (virtual
    private network) solution that is not supported on the mac. I don't
    know of any off the bat, but I know that where I am, the wireless
    network uses a Cisco VPN that is supported by Windows and MacOS but
    not Linux of *BSD. So this issue /can/ definitely bite.

    --
    * Harald Hanche-Olsen <URL:http://www.math.ntnu.no/~hanche/>
    - Debating gives most of us much more psychological satisfaction

  3. #3

    In article <google.com>,
    com (W i l l) wrote:

    More details please... model of Mac, OS version etc... Uli
    Uli Guest

  4. #4

    W i l l <com> wrote:

    Yes, it's possible, but without knowing which Mac and which Mac OS
    version it's running, that's all way can tell you.

    --
    Mike Rosenberg
    Ralph Nader: Unsafe at any speed

  5. #5

    Uli Wienands <slac.stanford.edu> wrote in message news:<stanford.edu>...

    > More details please... model of Mac, OS version etc... Uli[/ref]

    Mac OS X Version 10.3.3
    It's a brand spanking new PowerBook
    I got it last week

    Thanks for the help.

    (-WW)
    W Guest

  6. #6

    In article <google.com>,
    com (W i l l) wrote:

    > > More details please... model of Mac, OS version etc... Uli[/ref]
    >
    > Mac OS X Version 10.3.3
    > It's a brand spanking new PowerBook
    > I got it last week
    >
    > Thanks for the help.
    >
    > (-WW)[/ref]

    The answer is a definite "Maybe"

    The Powerbook will need an Apple Airport Extreme card. It get installed
    under the keyboard. Instructions will be provided with the card.

    This will give you 802.11g (and 802.11b) WiFi networking capabilities.

    Now for the Maybe. You should be able to connect to your work wireless
    net as long as they use WEP (key 1) or WPA or no WiFi encryption. These
    3 are the most typical cases.

    Things that can get you. If your work WiFi access points explicitly
    limit access to specific WiFi MAC addresses (not many work environments
    do this, as it is a pain to maintain). In this case you just get work
    to add the MAC address of your Airport Extreme card to their list.

    If your work WiFi setup uses WEP keys 2, 3, or 4. 802.11b and g allow
    for 4 encryption keys. Apple's Airport wireless software only allows
    you to enter WEP key 1. If your company likes to use WEP keys 2, 3, or
    4, then you are out of luck (my company does this to me, so I know of
    what I speak here :-( and because I almost never hear anyone else
    complaining about their company using other WEP keys, I'm fairly sure it
    is rare for companies to use anything except WEP key 1.

    Finally, unless your company is using Apple's Airport base stations, you
    will not be able to enter a text password for the WEP or WPA keys. You
    will need to get the hexidecimal encryption key and enter that. You may
    need to enter it with a leading dollar sign as in $11aa33bb44 or
    preceeding it with 0x as in 0x11aa33bb44 might work. And failing that
    launch the Applications -> Internet Connect utility and enter the hex
    encryption key there.

    good luck.

    Bob Harris
    Bob Guest

  7. #7

    Bob Harris <dec.com> wrote in message news:<cac.cpqcorp.net>...

    > > Mac OS X Version 10.3.3
    > > It's a brand spanking new PowerBook
    > > I got it last week
    > >
    > > Thanks for the help.
    > >
    > > (-WW)[/ref]
    >
    > The answer is a definite "Maybe"
    >
    > The Powerbook will need an Apple Airport Extreme card. It get installed
    > under the keyboard. Instructions will be provided with the card.
    >
    > This will give you 802.11g (and 802.11b) WiFi networking capabilities.
    >
    > Now for the Maybe. You should be able to connect to your work wireless
    > net as long as they use WEP (key 1) or WPA or no WiFi encryption. These
    > 3 are the most typical cases.
    >
    > Things that can get you. If your work WiFi access points explicitly
    > limit access to specific WiFi MAC addresses (not many work environments
    > do this, as it is a pain to maintain). In this case you just get work
    > to add the MAC address of your Airport Extreme card to their list.
    >
    > If your work WiFi setup uses WEP keys 2, 3, or 4. 802.11b and g allow
    > for 4 encryption keys. Apple's Airport wireless software only allows
    > you to enter WEP key 1. If your company likes to use WEP keys 2, 3, or
    > 4, then you are out of luck (my company does this to me, so I know of
    > what I speak here :-( and because I almost never hear anyone else
    > complaining about their company using other WEP keys, I'm fairly sure it
    > is rare for companies to use anything except WEP key 1.
    >
    > Finally, unless your company is using Apple's Airport base stations, you
    > will not be able to enter a text password for the WEP or WPA keys. You
    > will need to get the hexidecimal encryption key and enter that. You may
    > need to enter it with a leading dollar sign as in $11aa33bb44 or
    > preceeding it with 0x as in 0x11aa33bb44 might work. And failing that
    > launch the Applications -> Internet Connect utility and enter the hex
    > encryption key there.
    >
    > good luck.
    >
    > Bob Harris[/ref]

    Thanks for all of your suggestions! I'll take what you have told me to
    our network admins. Hopfully this will all work!

    THANKS.

    (-WW)
    W Guest

  8. #8

    Bob Harris <dec.com> wrote:

    All the currently shipped PowerBooks come with an Airport Extreme Card
    installed, so unless he bought an older model, he already has one.