Professional Web Applications Themes

Connecting a Performa to a PC network - Mac Networking

Hi guys, This question had been asked in many variation so far, however, I can't seem to solve it by myself. I'm trying to connect a Performa 631CD, OS 7.5.3, to our house network, used entirely by PCs, through an Ethernet cable. Our ISP is Comcast. We have an RCA Broadband box that I think was supplied be them. This box, in turn, is connected to the house router -- a D-link DI 614+ Revision A (the one with the 2 antennas -- but I am connected physically through hardwire). For a long time I didn't have the system disks, ...

  1. #1

    Default Connecting a Performa to a PC network

    Hi guys,

    This question had been asked in many variation so far, however, I can't
    seem to solve it by myself.

    I'm trying to connect a Performa 631CD, OS 7.5.3, to our house network,
    used entirely by PCs, through an Ethernet cable.

    Our ISP is Comcast. We have an RCA Broadband box that I think was
    supplied be them. This box, in turn, is connected to the house router
    -- a D-link DI 614+ Revision A (the one with the 2 antennas -- but I am
    connected physically through hardwire).

    For a long time I didn't have the system disks, so when I purchased and
    installed my Ethernet card (Sonic T), I couldn't switch to EtherTalk.
    Anyway, I just downloaded 7.5 and then the 7.5.3 update, so we are good
    to go. Or so I thought. For some reason, none of the computers in the
    household can see me, and I cannot see them.

    Here are my settings:

    1 - In MacTCP I have two options: EtherTalk and Ethernet. Choosing
    any of them doesn't seem to make a difference. In the IP box below, I
    have 192.168.0.* (where * represents some number 1-100 -- I tried a
    bunch of them). If I click on "More" I get the following:
    Obtain Address: Manually / Server / Dynamically (I tried them all -- I
    think I need Dynamically);
    Class: C;
    IP address: 192.168.0.* (the same * chosen before);
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0;
    Bits: 24 (Net) | 0 (Subnet) | 8 (Node);
    Net: 12625920;
    Subnet: 0;
    Node: 12;
    Gateway Address: 192.168.0.1 (I also tried other values instead of 1);
    Domain Name Server Information: [both Domain and IP Address are blank];
    If I choose "Dynamically" in the Obtain Address, I get a couple more
    fill-the-blank questions -- I just left them as they were.

    2 - In Network I have two options: LocalTalk Built In and EtherTalk.
    EtherTalk is chosen. Double clicking on it pops up a window that tells
    me that there are no zones in this network, so no zones can be chosen.
    Also on the screen:
    AppleTalk Connection: 3.0.3;
    AppleTalk Version: 58.1.5;
    EtherTalk Version: 2.5.7;

    3 - In chooser, when clicking on AppleShare, on the right hand side I
    get "Select a file server", but there's nothing to select from. Also,
    AppleTalk is active.

    4 - Needless to say that I don't see anybody else under Users, File
    Sharing etc.

    When comparing this information with what we have on the PCs, the only
    thing I get from them is the IP address and Subnet Mask #s, which are
    identical to what I posted above (different last digit in the IP of course).

    For the Windows boxes everything is automatic. Almost plug-n-play. :-\

    Does anybody have any idea what going on?

    Cheers,
    Ben

    --
    Real address -- first name at robotics stanford edu
    Ben Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Connecting a Performa to a PC network

    [Sorry, I meant to crosspost it to c.s.m.system and forgot. So I am
    doing it now. Apologies.]

  3. #3

    In article <c59auf$a23$Stanford.EDU>, Ben Galin <sig>
    wrote:

    MacTCP is fairly ancient and if I recall correctly, Dynamically is not
    exactly the same as DHCP, which is probably what you need. The modern
    version of MacTCP is Open Transport. I think it is an option in MacOS
    7.5.3. Use the Network Software Selector application to switch between
    MacTCP and Open Transport.

    Open Transport supports DHCP, however, you may still have a problem in
    that some 10/100 routers do not see old Mac network cards. I had to run
    my old Macs through a 10 Base T hub so my Netgear router would see them.
    I don't have any experience with Sonic T network cards and D-Link
    routers, though.

    --
    Jim

    My eMail is not SPAMLESS. :)
    Jim Guest

  4. #4

    << I'm trying to connect a Performa 631CD, OS 7.5.3, to our house network,
    used entirely by PCs, through an Ethernet cable. >>

    Ben-

    To get directly to the point, you are trying to use AppleTalk to connect to PCs
    that don't speak Apple. In addition, your D-Link router may not pass AppleTalk
    packets. I suggest you concentrate on just using TCP/IP.

    I've been doing the same with a wireless network and an old Performa 450 (LC
    III). The Mac and an old IBM are plugged into the Netgear MR314 Wireless
    Router, so can see each other without the wireless link being involved.

    1. In MacTCP, choose Ethernet and manually assign your IP address. I suggest
    192.168.0.XX, where XX is below 30. You may be able to go higher, but at least
    one device I encountered mentioned such a limit.

    Assuming the D-Link is acting as 192.168.0.1, use that as your gateway address.
    Use 255.255.255.0 as your mask unless you know enough to do otherwise. I
    don't know about the DNS, but it may be best to choose 192.168.0.1 and hope the
    D-Link knows what to do with DNS requests.

    2. In Network, choose EtherTalk. As far as I can tell, this only applies to
    the AppleTalk portion of the network, and may be a way of allowing use of the
    Modem port for AppleTalk while using the Ethernet port for TCP/IP. You are not
    likely to find AppleTalk Zones. I think you are in your own private zone.

    3. In the chooser, clicking on AppleShare will result in having NO servers to
    choose from. From what you said, there are no other Apple machines on the
    network. Besides, I don't think D-Link passes AppleTalk at all. (Newer
    Netgear wireless routers don't either.)

    4. Did I understand correctly? Do you expect to see the PCs in the Chooser
    when AppleShare is selected? To do so, you would have to be running software
    on the PCs that can send and receive AppleTalk packets. Such software exists,
    but I don't know a name.

    5. You should be able to use a web browser on the Mac, when the system is
    hooked up and working on the internet. An FTP program such as Fetch should
    work. It should be possible to "ping" the PC machines' IP addresses, as well
    as those of machines on the internet. (I have an old program called "MacTCP
    Watcher" by Peter N. Lewis in Australia, that can interact with a DNS server as
    well as ping other IP addresses. It is handy for troubleshooting a problem
    such as yours.)

    You may be able to ping the Mac and other machines from a PC, using the command
    "ping 192.168.0.XX" from the Start-Run prompt.

    I hope this is helpful. It has taken me many frustrating hours to get to this
    point!

    Fred

    Fred Guest

  5. #5

    Jim Scott wrote:

    Thanks for the tip. I don't recall seeing a Network Software Selector
    application off hand, but I'll check for it today (I am obviously not by
    my Mac at the moment).

    IIRC, I opted for Custom Update when updated to 7.5.3 and checked
    everything that had to do anything with network, but maybe I missed
    something. Regardless, I will update to 7.5.5 this week.

    Thanks. You know, you're not the first one who mentioned that a hub
    might do the trick. I will look into it.

    Cheers,
    Ben

  6. #6

    Fred McKenzie wrote:

    Ah. I thought I was. From the way I understood things, EtherTalk has
    nothing to do with AppleTalk. It's either one or the other. Obviously
    I was wrong. Thanks for clarifying.

    Okay. Will do.

    The problem is that, AFAICT, I wasn't able to enter solely the IP
    Address under Domain Name Server Information. It wanted me enter the
    Domain as well. I guess I'll just leave it blank.

    That indeed appears to be a popular opinion these days. ;)

    Oh, I was using the guide book that came with the computer. It said
    that I should expect to see other computers there. It was talking about
    other Macs, of course. It was my generalization that made it to be any
    computer on the network. My bad.

    That's probably what I should do. On the larger picture, the goal
    wasn't to connect to the house network, but to the Internet. The house
    network was the mean, and a bonus.

    Great! Didn't think about that!

    Thanks for sharing this info. Much appreciated.

    Ben