Professional Web Applications Themes

Connecting an airport extreme equipped mac 12" powerbook to a linksys home network - Mac Networking

[email]tonyaplawrence.com[/email] wrote: > mirisho <yehudajoearthlink.net> wrote: >>OK so I am house sitting for a friend. They have a home network set up >>(they use PCs). I schlepped my baby Mac with me (I am a recent convert >>to things Macintosh and have fallen in love). I was hoping that I >>could connect to their home network. > >>They have cable Internet and use a Linksys router for their network. > >>Is there a kind soul out there who would give me a step by step guide >>on how to get my Mac to see their home network? > > Usually ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Connecting an airport extreme equipped mac 12" powerbook to a linksys home network

    [email]tonyaplawrence.com[/email] wrote:
    > mirisho <yehudajoearthlink.net> wrote:
    >>OK so I am house sitting for a friend. They have a home network set up
    >>(they use PCs). I schlepped my baby Mac with me (I am a recent convert
    >>to things Macintosh and have fallen in love). I was hoping that I
    >>could connect to their home network.
    >
    >>They have cable Internet and use a Linksys router for their network.
    >
    >>Is there a kind soul out there who would give me a step by step guide
    >>on how to get my Mac to see their home network?
    >
    > Usually people would set up the Linksys to hand out DHCP addresses.
    > Have you tried just configuring TCP (System Preferences->Network) to
    > "Using DHCP" ?
    >
    > --
    > [email]tonyaplawrence.com[/email] Unix/Linux/Mac OS X resources: [url]http://aplawrence.com[/url]
    > Get paid for writing about tech: [url]http://aplawrence.com/publish.html[/url]

    I have a 12" powerbook with airport extreme and had an issue
    with seeing the wireless network at home using a Linsys BEFW11S4 wireless
    router. Its due to some compatability issue but, I found after stumbling
    around with different settings that I could get the Mac to see and connect
    to the wireless network by changing the following settings on the
    BEFW11S4 and the changes would not affect my wifes wireless PC.

    1) on the PC, login to the routers web interface
    [url]http://192.168.10.1[/url]

    2) Select the advanced tab.

    3) Select the wireless tab and change the settings below saving your
    changes:

    Basic Rates: 1-2Mbps (default)
    TX Rates: 1-2 Mbps.

    This fixed me up. The Mac airport extreme saw the network and sucessfully
    negotiated an IP address. Incidentally, I had an existing G4 quicksilver
    with an 802.11b airport card and had no problems. This just happens with
    the airport extreme 802.11g. Apple care and Linsys tech support were no
    help, I just found this by tweaking the above settings. When I go back
    to the original settings, the network disappears from the powerbooks
    view.
    --
    John J. Rushford
    j j r { a t } a l i s a { d o t } o r g

  2. #2

    mirisho <yehudajoearthlink.net> wrote:
    : OK so I am house sitting for a friend. They have a home network set up
    : (they use PCs). I schlepped my baby Mac with me (I am a recent convert
    : to things Macintosh and have fallen in love). I was hoping that I
    : could connect to their home network.

    : They have cable Internet and use a Linksys router for their network.

    : Is there a kind soul out there who would give me a step by step guide
    : on how to get my Mac to see their home network?

    MJ, it was easy when I did it. I encourage you to try a few things and
    it'll probably work.

    There are some configuration options on the Linksys router that could make
    it hard.

    The usual issues are the SSID (a.k.a. "network name") and the password.
    You'll want the more recent airport software in your Mac to make it easier
    to enter the network password.

    If they have set the router to "restrict to certain MAC addresses" then
    you'll need to find yours and add it to the router config.

    If you want more, let us know which Mac OS you are using.

    You do have the basics... airport card turned on, airport selected in the
    network settings, and "Configure using DHCP", right?

    -- Sally
    --

    Sally Shears (a.k.a. "Molly")
    [email]sshearstheWorld.com[/email] -or- [email]SallyShears.org[/email]