Professional Web Applications Themes

Connecting Coldfusion MX 7 to a datasource - Coldfusion Database Access

Hi everyone! I am trying to connect Coldfusion MX 7 to a datasource on my webhost's server. The server has MySQL 4.0.25-standard however the only option on the administrator panel is "Driver: MySQL (3.x)." and I'm not sure if that's what is preventing me from successfully connecting. I keep getting this error when I try to connect: java.sql.SQLException: Invalid authorization specification: Access denied for user: 'aycbqlcchtrmb-171-248.the-beach.net' (Using password: YES) The root cause was that: java.sql.SQLException: Invalid authorization specification: Access denied for user: 'aycbqlcchtrmb-171-248.the-beach.net' (Using password: YES) I've tried all kinds of usernames and different combinations I really don't understand why ...

  1. #1

    Default Connecting Coldfusion MX 7 to a datasource

    Hi everyone!

    I am trying to connect Coldfusion MX 7 to a datasource on my webhost's server.
    The server has MySQL 4.0.25-standard however the only option on the
    administrator panel is "Driver: MySQL (3.x)." and I'm not sure if that's what
    is preventing me from successfully connecting.

    I keep getting this error when I try to connect:

    java.sql.SQLException: Invalid authorization specification: Access denied for
    user: 'aycbqlcchtrmb-171-248.the-beach.net' (Using password: YES) The root
    cause was that: java.sql.SQLException: Invalid authorization specification:
    Access denied for user: 'aycbqlcchtrmb-171-248.the-beach.net' (Using password:
    YES)

    I've tried all kinds of usernames and different combinations I really don't
    understand why I can't get access unless I need a newer driver or something. I
    looked into getting a newer driver but the literature on this is very confusing
    to me as I'm not too familiar with all this. Any help would be greatly
    appreciated,

    Thanks

    Krayne Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Connecting Coldfusion MX 7 to a datasource

    Krayne wrote:
    > Hi everyone!
    >
    > I am trying to connect Coldfusion MX 7 to a datasource on my webhost's server.
    > The server has MySQL 4.0.25-standard however the only option on the
    > administrator panel is "Driver: MySQL (3.x)." and I'm not sure if that's what
    > is preventing me from successfully connecting.
    Yep, the driver is definitely the problem. Search this forum or
    macrormedia.com for MySQL and you'll get reams of information about what
    you have to do. Basically you just need a newer driver because they
    changed the way passwords are hashed in newer versions of MySQL.

    Matt
    --
    Matt Woodward
    [email]mpwoodward[/email]

  3. #3

    Thanks for the input!

    I downloaded the mysql-connector-java-3.1.12-bin.jar driver and put it in the
    runtime/servers/lib/ folder because I'm running Server configuration. Then I
    did what it told me to do:

    * Add new datasource selecting "other" as the driver
    * Add the JDBC URL jdbc:mysql://[server]:[port]/[database]
    * Add the Driver Class com.mysql.jdbc.Driver
    * Fill in the username/password, and adjust other dsn settings if needed.
    * Submit datasource for verification

    but it still gave me the same error. I even created a new database with a
    username and no password but I still couldn't get access. I've been e-mailing
    the tech support people from my webhost and they said everything looks fine I
    should go to the coldfusion tech support forums. I'm really not sure what I'm
    doing wrong. I have the Server configuration installed is that the wrong one?

    All I want is to add some pages that use coldfusion to my current webpage. Do
    I even NEED a datasource to do that, or can I just upload the files via FTP and
    then make them work somehow? I'm really lost, any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks for reading.

    Krayne Guest

  4. #4

    Krayne wrote:
    > Thanks for the input!
    >
    > I downloaded the mysql-connector-java-3.1.12-bin.jar driver
    [snip]
    > but it still gave me the same error. I even created a new database with a
    > username and no password but I still couldn't get access.
    If it's giving you a "no suitable driver" error then it can't find the
    driver. If it's giving you a "permission denied" error (which is what I
    think you said it was doing before), that's likely something going on
    with your host. Do you know for sure which version of MySQL they're
    using? Do you know for a fact that they have TCP/IP connections open
    and that they're running on the standard MySQL port (3306)?
    > I've been e-mailing
    > the tech support people from my webhost and they said everything looks fine I
    > should go to the coldfusion tech support forums. I'm really not sure what I'm
    > doing wrong. I have the Server configuration installed is that the wrong one?
    There isn't really a "wrong" one, just depends on what you're wanting to
    do and your preference. Server will work fine with MySQL.
    > All I want is to add some pages that use coldfusion to my current webpage. Do
    > I even NEED a datasource to do that, or can I just upload the files via FTP and
    > then make them work somehow? I'm really lost, any help is greatly appreciated.
    > Thanks for reading.
    If you aren't hitting a database then no, you don't need a datasource.
    If you're trying to have your CF pages hit the MySQL database, then
    you'll need a datasource.

    Matt

  5. #5

    Thanks for the help Matt,

    I think there is something I'm not understanding right. I do need my CF pages
    to hit a MySQL database, which I've created on my hosts' server. If I upload my
    pages (cfm,cfc,htm, or whatever) via FTP, how do I make the datasource? Do I
    just use the CF administrator page? Or does my host have to set up a coldfusion
    datasource for me? I'm e-mailing tech support again and asking them about the
    TCP/IP and if they are using the standard port.

    I think the thing I don't get, is how my pages know what datasource I set up
    for them, if that makes any sense. I know how to reference datasources and
    whatnot when I'm writing the actual code for my pages, but I don't know how to
    upload them and make everything work correctly.

    Krayne Guest

  6. #6

    Krayne wrote:
    > Thanks for the help Matt,
    >
    > I think there is something I'm not understanding right. I do need my CF pages
    > to hit a MySQL database, which I've created on my hosts' server. If I upload my
    > pages (cfm,cfc,htm, or whatever) via FTP, how do I make the datasource? Do I
    > just use the CF administrator page? Or does my host have to set up a coldfusion
    > datasource for me? I'm e-mailing tech support again and asking them about the
    > TCP/IP and if they are using the standard port.
    If you're on shared hosting they likely don't give you access to the CF
    administrator, so they'll probably set up the datasource for you or
    they'll give you access to an admin page (not the CF administrator
    itself) where you can fill out a web form to get the datasource created.
    You don't need to worry about drivers, etc. if you're on shared
    hosting because the host will take care of that for you.
    > I think the thing I don't get, is how my pages know what datasource I set up
    > for them, if that makes any sense. I know how to reference datasources and
    > whatnot when I'm writing the actual code for my pages, but I don't know how to
    > upload them and make everything work correctly.
    How the pages know is you use the datasource name in your CF query tag.
    As long as the datasource is set up by your host you can just upload
    your pages with the datasource name in your pages and they'll work fine.

    Matt