Professional Web Applications Themes

Connecting to a remote datasource - Coldfusion Database Access

hello. I have a website that needs to get data from a sql datasource on another webserver... what is the best way to connect to this remote database server... I am sure there are many ways to do so, so any help or tutorial on this would be very helpful... thanks......

  1. #1

    Default Connecting to a remote datasource

    hello. I have a website that needs to get data from a sql datasource on another
    webserver... what is the best way to connect to this remote database server...
    I am sure there are many ways to do so, so any help or tutorial on this would
    be very helpful... thanks...

    bweno Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Connecting to a remote datasource

    I'm looking for the same knowledge. In my case, I want to connect to a SQL Server db that is NOT on a web server. I'm hoping we both get the answers we need!

    -Steve

    swickes Guest

  3. #3

    bweno wrote:

    If you are talking about just connecting to a remote database by DSN:
    I connect to my host database server form my local workstation by just
    putting the database DNS in the DSN defination of my local coldfusion
    server.

    CF Data Source Name: SOR
    Datebase: nameOfOurDatabase
    Server: SQL.Domain.Com|IPAddress
    User: ourDatabseUserName
    Password: ourDatabasePassword

    If you are talking about interconnecting databases located on different
    server, there are ways to do this as well, but they are very DBMS specific.

    Ian Guest

  4. #4

    This should be fairly simply for you guys. From the CF Administrator, you
    simply need to setup a datasource. When doing so, give the datasource a name (I
    typically use the same name as my DB), enter the name of the database, then
    enter the IP address (or domain name) of the SQL Server.

    Finally, enter your remote access credentials. This is where it can get
    sticky. To make a remote connection, SQL Server itself must be setup to allow
    remote connections. Here's a link to an article on doing just that:
    http://www.hostmysite.com/support/vps/windows/remotesqlexp/

    After you've ensured that SQL Server can accept remote connections and you've
    entered the correct credentials, submit the form data and CF should make the
    datasource available to you.

    Steve: I do not believe SQL Server has to be running on a web server per se.
    It does, however, need to be in some sort of networked environment to which you
    can connect. As long as the SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER) service is running in
    Windows, the SQL Server Browser service is running, and you can connect to that
    machine from your network, you should be good to go.

    Hope this helps!
    Craig

    craigkaminsky Guest

  5. #5

    Ian and Craig,

    Thanks so much for your clear replies. There's so much to know and so little time!

    Really appreciate the peer support of these forums!

    -Steve

    swickes Guest