Professional Web Applications Themes

Connecting wireless laptop PC to Airport base station - Windows Networking

I have a laptop PC running Windows XP Home Ed. while my wife has an iBook. We just set up an Airport base station for wireless networking/internet connectivity. The iBook works fine with the Airport, of course, but if WEP encryption is turned on, the PC can't connect to the Airport. Without encryption, the PC connects easily. I have tried every combination of passwords using ASCII and hexadecimal characters, 40bit vs. 128bit encryption, and adding $ and quotations around the passwords, all to no avail. Any helpful hints on how to get the PC working with the Airport with encryption ...

  1. #1

    Default Connecting wireless laptop PC to Airport base station

    I have a laptop PC running Windows XP Home Ed. while my
    wife has an iBook. We just set up an Airport base
    station for wireless networking/internet connectivity.
    The iBook works fine with the Airport, of course, but if
    WEP encryption is turned on, the PC can't connect to the
    Airport. Without encryption, the PC connects easily. I
    have tried every combination of passwords using ASCII and
    hexadecimal characters, 40bit vs. 128bit encryption, and
    adding $ and quotations around the passwords, all to no
    avail. Any helpful hints on how to get the PC working
    with the Airport with encryption enabled?

    Thanks in advance for any advice!
    Kevin D. Guest

  2. #2

    this should work. which Airport base station do you have and what wireless
    cards? you should use HEX, and create the key yourself with no password
    generator.

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist

    Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows] Guest

  3. #3

    I have an Airport Extreme Base Station and a new HP
    laptop with a built-in LAN-Express IEEE 802.11b PCI
    Adapter card. Do I need to connect the PC directly to
    the Ethernet LAN port on the Airport and run the Airport
    Administator Utility on the PC to set up the Airport? So
    far we have only tried setting up the Airport using the
    iBook's wireless connection.

    Kevin D. Guest

  4. #4

    the only info I have is from