Professional Web Applications Themes

connectivity problem - Linux / Unix Administration

I am using SCO OPENSERVER 5.0.0 with 35 users.I am now facing a problem, the number of telnet connections are 25 maximum. If the 26 connection is requested we are getting the message \"ALL PORTS ARE IN USE\" and it is not connected. I would appreciate if you can send me a solution to increase the number of telnet connections from 25 to 35....

  1. #1

    Default connectivity problem

    I am using SCO OPENSERVER 5.0.0 with 35 users.I am now facing a
    problem, the number of telnet connections are 25 maximum. If the 26
    connection is requested we are getting the message \"ALL PORTS ARE IN
    USE\" and it is not connected. I would appreciate if you can send me a
    solution to increase the number of telnet connections from 25 to 35.
    vijay Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: connectivity problem

    vijay <vgodavarthyrediffmail.com> wrote:
    > I am using SCO OPENSERVER 5.0.0 with 35 users.I am now facing a
    > problem, the number of telnet connections are 25 maximum. If the 26
    > connection is requested we are getting the message \"ALL PORTS ARE IN
    > USE\" and it is not connected. I would appreciate if you can send me a
    > solution to increase the number of telnet connections from 25 to 35.
    What aplication are you running ? Chances are that you could move the
    applications into a modern OpenSource OS without license or other
    restrictions. Linux and FreeBSD comes to my mind, both have been
    reported to run (some) SCO applications.

    --
    Peter Håkanson
    phn@icke-reklam.ipsec.nu Guest

  3. #3

    On 2 Sep 2004 00:22:18 -0700, vijay <vgodavarthyrediffmail.com> wrote:
    > I am using SCO OPENSERVER 5.0.0 with 35 users.I am now facing a
    > problem, the number of telnet connections are 25 maximum. If the 26
    > connection is requested we are getting the message \"ALL PORTS ARE IN
    > USE\" and it is not connected. I would appreciate if you can send me a
    > solution to increase the number of telnet connections from 25 to 35.
    Just like last week when you asked this, you need to either give
    more money to the litigious s at SCO, or you have to migrate
    to a better operating system. Nobody here is going to help you
    cheat a licensed limitation, not even against SCO.

    Dave Hinz

    Dave Hinz Guest

  4. #4

    Dave Hinz <DaveHinzspamcop.net> wrote in message news:<2posdsFmhccvU3uni-berlin.de>...
    > On 2 Sep 2004 00:22:18 -0700, vijay <vgodavarthyrediffmail.com> wrote:
    > > I am using SCO OPENSERVER 5.0.0 with 35 users.I am now facing a
    > > problem, the number of telnet connections are 25 maximum. If the 26
    > > connection is requested we are getting the message \"ALL PORTS ARE IN
    > > USE\" and it is not connected. I would appreciate if you can send me a
    > > solution to increase the number of telnet connections from 25 to 35.
    >
    > Just like last week when you asked this, you need to either give
    > more money to the litigious s at SCO, or you have to migrate
    > to a better operating system. Nobody here is going to help you
    > cheat a licensed limitation, not even against SCO.
    >
    > Dave Hinz
    Dear Mr. Dave,

    I would like to mention you that I am having a 35 user licensed
    version where as only 25 users are able to connect using telnet. So I
    need a solution to this

    Vijay
    vijay Guest

  5. #5

    On 2 Sep 2004 00:22:18 -0700
    [email]vgodavarthyrediffmail.com[/email] (vijay) wrote:
    > I am using SCO OPENSERVER 5.0.0 with 35 users.I am now facing a
    > problem, the number of telnet connections are 25 maximum. If the 26
    > connection is requested we are getting the message \"ALL PORTS ARE IN
    > USE\" and it is not connected. I would appreciate if you can send me a
    > solution to increase the number of telnet connections from 25 to 35.
    Telnet connections require pseudo-ttys, and you're in all
    likelihood running out of the configured number of ptys on
    your SCO box. I've no experience with this version of Unix,
    but I gather it has entries in /dev for the pseudo-ttys,
    like /dev/ttyp25+/dev/ptyp25 and /dev/ttyp26+/dev/ptyp26
    etc.
    If this is the case, you can simply add pseudo-ttys by
    creating the appropriate /dev/entries.
    You'll need to find out the major and minor device
    numbers, e.g. (from a Solaris2.6/x86 box):

    # ls -l /dev/ptyp0
    crw-rw-rw- 1 root tty 2, 0 Mar 24 2000 /dev/ptyp0
    # ls -l /dev/ttyp0
    crw-rw-rw- 1 root tty 3, 0 Mar 24 2000 /dev/ttyp0

    as well as the number of existing devices. The naming convention
    on Solaris 2.6 is [pt]ty[pqr...][0-9a-f], i.e.

    ptyp0 -> ptypf and ttyp0 -> ttypf
    ptyq0 -> ptypf and ttyq0 -> ttyqf

    It will probably be similar on SCO OpenServer.
    Once you've determined how many devices exist, you can add
    new pty?/tty? couples using the mknod command (or its equivalent
    on SCO).

    You might also have to change a kernel parameter, but you're
    on your own here.

    If all fails, you could contact SCO technical support, if
    that still exists.

    Take care,

    --
    Stefaan

  6. #6

    On 3 Sep 2004 01:55:29 -0700, vijay <vgodavarthyrediffmail.com> wrote:
    > Dave Hinz <DaveHinzspamcop.net> wrote in message news:<2posdsFmhccvU3uni-berlin.de>...
    >> Just like last week when you asked this, you need to either give
    >> more money to the litigious s at SCO, or you have to migrate
    >> to a better operating system. Nobody here is going to help you
    >> cheat a licensed limitation, not even against SCO.
    >
    > I would like to mention you that I am having a 35 user licensed
    > version where as only 25 users are able to connect using telnet. So I
    > need a solution to this
    So call the litigious s at SCO and have them tell you how to fix
    your problem. You're paying for it, might as well make them work on
    something besides causing irritation for open-source.

    Or migrate to an OS from an organization that doesn't do Bill Gates' bidding.
    Dave Hinz Guest

  7. #7

    vijay <vgodavarthyrediffmail.com> wrote:
    > Dave Hinz <DaveHinzspamcop.net> wrote in message news:<2posdsFmhccvU3uni-berlin.de>...
    >> On 2 Sep 2004 00:22:18 -0700, vijay <vgodavarthyrediffmail.com> wrote:
    >> > I am using SCO OPENSERVER 5.0.0 with 35 users.I am now facing a
    >> > problem, the number of telnet connections are 25 maximum. If the 26
    >> > connection is requested we are getting the message \"ALL PORTS ARE IN
    >> > USE\" and it is not connected. I would appreciate if you can send me a
    >> > solution to increase the number of telnet connections from 25 to 35.
    >>
    >> Just like last week when you asked this, you need to either give
    >> more money to the litigious s at SCO, or you have to migrate
    >> to a better operating system. Nobody here is going to help you
    >> cheat a licensed limitation, not even against SCO.
    >>
    >> Dave Hinz
    > Dear Mr. Dave,
    > I would like to mention you that I am having a 35 user licensed
    > version where as only 25 users are able to connect using telnet. So I
    > need a solution to this
    We already given you a solution : replace the SCO with an Open Solution without
    restrictions and where proper doentation is available.

  8. #8

    vijay wrote:
    > I am using SCO OPENSERVER 5.0.0 with 35 users.I am now facing a
    > problem, the number of telnet connections are 25 maximum. If the 26
    > connection is requested we are getting the message \"ALL PORTS ARE IN
    > USE\" and it is not connected. I would appreciate if you can send me a
    > solution to increase the number of telnet connections from 25 to 35.
    As another poster pointed out, this is a pty exhaustion problem.
    Contrary to the opinions of the Linux partisans, this is not an issue
    with licensing. The solution is here:

    [url]http://osr5doc.sco.com:1997/NetAdminG/tcpT.admin_pseudo_ttys.html[/url]

    regards,

    [email]andrewlod.com[/email]
    Andrew Guest

  9. #9

    On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 17:18:26 -0700
    Andrew <andrewlod.com> wrote:
    > The solution is here:
    >
    > [url]http://osr5doc.sco.com:1997/NetAdminG/tcpT.admin_pseudo_ttys.html[/url]
    Ye gods, that reminds me of Interactive Unix back in 1993.

    --
    Stefaan

  10. #10

    On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 17:18:26 -0700, Andrew <andrewlod.com> wrote:

    > As another poster pointed out, this is a pty exhaustion problem.
    > Contrary to the opinions of the Linux partisans, this is not an issue
    > with licensing.
    To be fair, I suggested he migrate from that OS
    _or_ call them for support.

    Dave Hinz Guest