Professional Web Applications Themes

Connectix VirtualPC 5.2 linux Xfree setup problem - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

I have been trying to setup a VirtualPC 5.2 running different versions of Linux. I have had problems getting X running properly. The setup runs X fine and setup installs properly. When booting into linux after the setup, the monitor goes to the X screen but it is real wide and not readable. I can switch to a text screen fine and set inittab to not run X on startup. VirtualPC is supposed to emulate an S3 Trio adapter but nothing is said about the monitor type. I have tried using the generic monitor versions with no luck. I even ...

  1. #1

    Default Connectix VirtualPC 5.2 linux Xfree setup problem

    I have been trying to setup a VirtualPC 5.2 running different versions
    of Linux. I have had problems getting X running properly. The setup
    runs X fine and setup installs properly.

    When booting into linux after the setup, the monitor goes to the X
    screen but it is real wide and not readable. I can switch to a text
    screen fine and set inittab to not run X on startup.

    VirtualPC is supposed to emulate an S3 Trio adapter but nothing is
    said about the monitor type. I have tried using the generic monitor
    versions with no luck. I even tried putting in the Sony MS 520GS
    actual hardware that I have with the same results.

    Since RedHat install (different versions) run fine and I can also run
    a Virtual PC and get Knoppix to run I know that VirtualPC does have
    the ability to run X properly. I just need help finding the proper
    setup for my own installation.

    Side Note: Normally, I capture the .iso files to the CD for install so
    I dont have the problem others have about corrupt CDs.

    Thanks,
    Kenn White
    [email]kpwhitenucengine.net[/email]
    Kenn White Guest

  2. #2

    [email]kpwhitenucengine.net[/email] (Kenn White) wrote in message news:<31adbb11.0309090811.29c7cd05posting.google. com>...
    > I have been trying to setup a VirtualPC 5.2 running different versions
    > of Linux. I have had problems getting X running properly. The setup
    > runs X fine and setup installs properly.
    >
    > When booting into linux after the setup, the monitor goes to the X
    > screen but it is real wide and not readable. I can switch to a text
    > screen fine and set inittab to not run X on startup.
    >
    > VirtualPC is supposed to emulate an S3 Trio adapter but nothing is
    > said about the monitor type. I have tried using the generic monitor
    > versions with no luck. I even tried putting in the Sony MS 520GS
    > actual hardware that I have with the same results.
    >
    > Since RedHat install (different versions) run fine and I can also run
    > a Virtual PC and get Knoppix to run I know that VirtualPC does have
    > the ability to run X properly. I just need help finding the proper
    > setup for my own installation.
    >
    > Side Note: Normally, I capture the .iso files to the CD for install so
    > I dont have the problem others have about corrupt CDs.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Kenn White
    > [email]kpwhitenucengine.net[/email]
    I found that by installing the video at the lowest resolution and let
    it boot into linux normally. Then, the resolution can be set higher. I
    found that "millions" of colors did not work, but, "thousands" did
    work fine. I would save the XF configuration file in /etc/X11/
    directory before making a change so when it failed, I could always
    revert to the previous version and try again.
    Kenn White Guest

  3. #3

    In article <google.com>, Kenn White wrote:

    > I found that by installing the video at the lowest resolution and let
    > it boot into linux normally. Then, the resolution can be set higher. I
    > found that "millions" of colors did not work, but, "thousands" did
    > work fine. I would save the XF configuration file in /etc/X11/
    > directory before making a change so when it failed, I could always
    > revert to the previous version and try again.[/ref]

    Also, I had the same problem when I specified too much video ram for
    the device. I specified 8 megs, when the video card actually only
    emulates 4 megs IIRC.

    Brian K
    Brian Guest

  4. #4

    This config seems to be working for me:

    # XF86Config-4 (XFree86 X server configuration file) generated by dexconf, the
    # Debian X Configuration tool, using values from the debconf database.
    #
    # Edit this file with caution, and see the XF86Config-4 manual page.
    # (Type "man XF86Config-4" at the shell prompt.)
    #
    # This file is automatically updated on xserver-xfree86 package upgrades *only*
    # if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xfree86
    # package.
    #
    # If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
    # again, run the following commands as root:
    #
    # cp /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.custom
    # md5sum /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 > /var/lib/xfree86/XF86Config-4.md5sum
    # dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

    Section "Files"
    FontPath "unix/:7100" # local font server
    # if the local font server has problems, we can fall back on these
    FontPath "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"
    FontPath "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/CID"
    FontPath "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo"
    FontPath "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc"
    FontPath "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic"
    FontPath "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi"
    FontPath "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi"
    EndSection

    Section "Module"
    Load "GLcore"
    Load "bitmap"
    Load "dbe"
    Load "ddc"
    Load "dri"
    Load "extmod"
    Load "freetype"
    Load "glx"
    Load "int10"
    Load "record"
    Load "speedo"
    Load "type1"
    Load "vbe"
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
    Driver "keyboard"
    Option "CoreKeyboard"
    Option "XkbRules" "xfree86"
    Option "XkbModel" "pc104"
    Option "XkbLayout" "us"
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Configured Mouse"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "CorePointer"
    Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Generic Mouse"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
    Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
    EndSection

    Section "Device"
    Identifier "S3 Inc. 86c764/765 [Trio32/64/64V+]"
    Driver "s3"
    VideoRam 4000
    Option "UseFBDev" "true"
    EndSection

    Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Generic Monitor"
    HorizSync 28-50
    VertRefresh 43-75
    Option "DPMS"
    EndSection

    Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Default Screen"
    Device "S3 Inc. 86c764/765 [Trio32/64/64V+]"
    Monitor "Generic Monitor"
    DefaultDepth 8
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 1