Professional Web Applications Themes

considering moving from win2k to solaris - Sun Solaris

but... I have a few questions if I may. Firstly, I am not new to UNIX, but I've never touched Solaris. I read that it's fast and stable, but how well would it run on a P3 800MHz with 256Mb RAM? Also, one very big part of my job involves video conferencing. To the best of my knowledge, everyone I conference with uses Windows. Is there a suitable cross-platform video conferencing program that I could use to talk to people who use Windows? This is perhaps the most major aspect; if there's no suitable software, then it's pointless for me ...

  1. #1

    Default considering moving from win2k to solaris

    but... I have a few questions if I may.

    Firstly, I am not new to UNIX, but I've never touched Solaris. I read that
    it's fast and stable, but how well would it run on a P3 800MHz with 256Mb
    RAM?

    Also, one very big part of my job involves video conferencing. To the best
    of my knowledge, everyone I conference with uses Windows. Is there a
    suitable cross-platform video conferencing program that I could use to talk
    to people who use Windows? This is perhaps the most major aspect; if
    there's no suitable software, then it's pointless for me to even install
    this OS.

    Finally, I downloaded a copy of Solaris 8 last year for my friend, and I
    still have the CD. Should I just use this, or would I be better off using
    Solaris 9?

    Any other tips/comments for a Solaris beginner would be much appreciated.

    Many thanks

    Colin

    colin Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: considering moving from win2k to solaris

    On Fri, 3 Oct 2003, colin wrote:

    Faster than WInsoze on the same hardware!

    But chack that your hardware is on the Solaris x86 HCL.

    Fortunately, most video conferencing software adheres to the
    standards (H232 I think is one). So in princimple, it can be
    done. Sun's own Sun Forum is their conferencing tool, but I'm
    not sure if it is supported on Solaris x86 yet.

    If Sun Forum doesn't work, there's probably some other open source
    software you can use.

    Solaris 9 is the latest and greatest - a wothwhile improvement
    over Solaris 8. But before you spend any $$$ obtaining Solaris 9,
    you might want to check the HCL first.

    An alternative would be to get somehting like an Ultra 30
    off of Ebay, running Solairs for SPARC.

    HTH,

    --
    Rich Teer, SCNA, SCSA

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

    Rich Guest

  3. #3

    colin wrote:

    I've been running Solaris 7x86 on a dusty crusty old 366 mhz P3
    for... Gosh, it must be at least 4 or 5 years now. I use it as a
    proxy/dns server running bind, squid, socks, sendmail (lots of anti-spam
    filters), and an ftp server and it runs great. The CPU usage is barely
    measurable most of the time (except for when the backup client fires
    off once a night - grin). Runs like a top. I can't remember a single
    unplanned outage or spontaneous reboot or anything of that nature. (shrug)

    I don't have any experience here. I use an ultra 5 as my desktop
    running Solaris and it suits my needs for a desktop but I have to admit
    I've never tried running anyone's video-conferencing stuff. (shrug)
    It's worth trying SUN's video-conferencing stuff if it's ported to
    Solaris x86.

    I haven't personally tried out Solaris 9 yet (at least not on a
    desktop type of machine) but I've heard good things about it. Solaris 8
    is definitely an improvement over Solaris 7 (improvements in the
    threading libraries and better support for large EIDE drives).

    Check the Hardware compatibility lists out for both Solaris 8 and 9
    and make sure your hardware is listed on at least one of 'em. :-) The
    bad news is that the HCL is moderately strict, but the good news is
    that the gear listed on the HCL tends to be better quality gear anyway.
    Anytime I'm buying new hardware I always use the Solaris HCL to help
    pick out better gear. Sorry I don't have any web URLs to the HCLs handy
    but if you hit the Sun website and just search for HCL or hardware
    compatibility list I'm sure you'll find the latest versions in no time.

    Brent

    Brent Guest