Professional Web Applications Themes

console mail client - FreeBSD

So the one i could found where -elmo -cone -mutt -pine -mail Are there others you like better ? Wich one do you use ?...

  1. #1

    Default console mail client

    So the one i could found where

    -elmo
    -cone
    -mutt
    -pine
    -mail

    Are there others you like better ? Wich one do you use ?
    Gert Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: console mail client

    On Apr 2, 2005 8:21 AM, Wayne K9DI <k9bsda.k9di.org> wrote:

    > I use Mutt. Mutt is a MUA, and needs to be used in conjunction with other apps
    > like fetchmail, and your choice of MTA (like exim, postfix and others).
    > Procmail is a very handy mail filtering app.
    > I was introduced to Mutt by a friend who is totally blind.
    >
    > Sincerely and Respectfully Yours
    >
    > Wayne M. Scace
    >
    > k9bsd (at) k9di (dot) org
    >[/ref]

    so if i understand it corectly the hole mail thingie is based on

    -a mail client (mutt)
    -a mail sender (sendmail)
    -a mail storage (postfix)
    -a mail receiver (fetchmail)
    Gert Guest

  3. #3

    Gert Cuykens wrote:

    >>I use Mutt. Mutt is a MUA, and needs to be used in conjunction with other apps
    >>like fetchmail, and your choice of MTA (like exim, postfix and others).
    >>Procmail is a very handy mail filtering app.
    >> I was introduced to Mutt by a friend who is totally blind.
    >>
    >>Sincerely and Respectfully Yours
    >>
    >>Wayne M. Scace
    >>
    >>k9bsd (at) k9di (dot) org
    >>[/ref]
    >

    > so if i understand it corectly the hole mail thingie is based on
    >
    > -a mail client (mutt)
    > -a mail sender (sendmail)
    > -a mail storage (postfix)
    > -a mail receiver (fetchmail)[/ref]

    Not entirly ...

    Mutt, pine, elm, etc. can be made to use your ISP's smtp and pop server
    (for example).

    If you wish to run a mailserver, you need both pop and smtp servers
    (assuming you don't want to use imap etc.)

    Mutt, Pine, Elm, mail - are mail clients. The sending and rec. engines
    would be the likes of sendmail, postfix, qpopper, qmail, etc.

    Fetchmail on the otherhand, is a device that pulls your mail from your
    ISP (for example) and brings it local.

    --
    Best regards,
    Chris

    If we learn by our mistakes,
    I'm getting one hell of an education!!
    Chris Guest

  4. #4

    Chris wrote:

    >> so if i understand it corectly the hole mail thingie is based on
    >>
    >> -a mail client (mutt) -a mail sender (sendmail)
    >> -a mail storage (postfix)
    >> -a mail receiver (fetchmail)[/ref]
    >

    > Not entirly ...
    >
    > Mutt, pine, elm, etc. can be made to use your ISP's smtp and pop server
    > (for example).
    >
    > If you wish to run a mailserver, you need both pop and smtp servers
    > (assuming you don't want to use imap etc.)
    >
    > Mutt, Pine, Elm, mail - are mail clients. The sending and rec. engines
    > would be the likes of sendmail, postfix, qpopper, qmail, etc.
    >
    > Fetchmail on the otherhand, is a device that pulls your mail from your
    > ISP (for example) and brings it local.
    >[/ref]

    If you are unsure what these do, one way is to go to the ports tree of
    these apps, read the Makefile or the pkg_desr. Most of the time then
    have a URL listed where you might gain information in the forms of an
    FAQ, install process, etc.

    --
    Best regards,
    Chris

    At the end of the semester you will recall having
    enrolled in a course at the beginning of the semester
    -- and never attending.
    Chris Guest

  5. #5

    Gert Cuykens <com> writes:

    As Chris said, not quite.

    The place to _begin_ on all this is is the Handbook

    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/mail-using.html

    I'm assuming you are on a machine linking to an ISP's smtp and pop3
    servers?

    To set up e-mail as God intended what you need in brief is

    A. A mail transport agent - sendmail OR postfix, (or exim or even qmail)
    but not both. This will hand off the e-mail once you have posted it and
    will take care of one part of its journey into your computer/s.

    B. A Mail reader/composer, an MUA, mail user agent. Lots of these to
    choose from, mutt or elm being old standbyes.

    C. Something to fetch the mail if you are using your ISP's pop3 server
    Fetchmail is good.

    D. Something to sort the mail - procmail is a good mail processor

    Coming in the process is something like:-

    Fetchmail -> sendmail/postfix -> procmail -> mutt

    There are opportunities for filtering spam at different points in this
    chain.

    The outward move is simpler

    mutt -> sendmail -> your ISP

    OR you can use something like Mozilla Thunderbird which is an
    all-in-one mail system by itself, and is possibly easier to set up.

    Good luck!

    atb

    Glyn
    Glyn Guest