Professional Web Applications Themes

Contax SLR AE and MM lenses - Photography

How do I identify/differentiate Contax SLR AE and MM lenses? Thanks! Chris...

  1. #1

    Default Contax SLR AE and MM lenses

    How do I identify/differentiate Contax SLR AE and MM lenses?

    Thanks! Chris

    Chris Wakeen Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Contax SLR AE and MM lenses

    Usually MM lenses have the smallest aperture in GREEN. But to be sure
    check the back end of the lens. It should have a small latch which engages
    a pin on the camera body. Check this link to see what pin I am taking
    about.

    [url]http://voronoi.sbp.ri.cmu.edu/~eshammas/contax/AE2MM.jpg[/url]

    When engaged, this pin allows the camera to operate in program and shutter
    priority mode. Actually, you can trick the camera to do that even when
    using an older AE lens. All you need to do is put a small piece of paper
    to hold the pin in place. I have tried this, but it is not recommended as
    the aperture mechanism on AE lenses is bulky and you could actually over
    load some camera components and break them.

    Hope this helps.

    Elie

    On Thu, 10 Jul 2003, Chris Wakeen wrote:
    > How do I identify/differentiate Contax SLR AE and MM lenses?
    >
    > Thanks! Chris

    Elie A Shammas Guest

  3. #3

    "Elie A Shammas" <eshammasandrew.cmu.edu> wrote in message
    > Usually MM lenses have the smallest aperture in GREEN. But to be sure
    > check the back end of the lens. It should have a small latch which engages
    > a pin on the camera body. Check this link to see what pin I am taking
    > about.
    >
    > [url]http://voronoi.sbp.ri.cmu.edu/~eshammas/contax/AE2MM.jpg[/url]
    >
    > When engaged, this pin allows the camera to operate in program and shutter
    > priority mode. Actually, you can trick the camera to do that even when
    > using an older AE lens. All you need to do is put a small piece of paper
    > to hold the pin in place. I have tried this, but it is not recommended as
    > the aperture mechanism on AE lenses is bulky and you could actually over
    > load some camera components and break them.
    >
    > Hope this helps.
    >
    > Elie

    I actually kept a copy of your post about this "trick" on Shuttercity.com.

    Just curious, do you have to hold the pin down on the body or just engage as
    you mount the AE lens?

    Dave

    DJA Guest

  4. #4

    Green LED in viewfinder.

    ..joj

    "Chris Wakeen" <cwakeenwakeenphotography.com> skrev i meddelandet
    > How do I identify/differentiate Contax SLR AE and MM lenses?
    >
    > Thanks! Chris

    .joj Guest

  5. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Dick Guest
    Moderated Post

  6. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Dick Guest
    Moderated Post

  7. #7

    >Subject: Re: Contax SLR AE and MM lenses
    >From: ".joj" [email]jj201telia.com[/email]
    >Date: Fri, Jul 11, 2003 10:24 AM
    >
    >Green LED in viewfinder.
    >

    >.joj
    This is nonsense. The only thing that should be green is the minimum aperture
    of the lens which denotes its an MM Contax lens as opposed to a standard AE
    Contax lens.

    Lewis

    Check out my photos at "LEWISVISION":

    [url]http://members.aol.com/Lewisvisn/home.htm[/url]

    Remove "nospam" to reply
    Lewis Lang Guest

  8. #8

    I have tried this couple of times to check if it works but I advise NOT to
    do it.

    Anyways, if you still want to try it. I used to push the pin down and
    shove in a small crumbled peice of paper behind it to keep the pin rotated
    down.

    Try this at your own risk.

    Elie

    On Thu, 10 Jul 2003, DJA wrote:

    > "Elie A Shammas" <eshammasandrew.cmu.edu> wrote in message
    > > Usually MM lenses have the smallest aperture in GREEN. But to be sure
    > > check the back end of the lens. It should have a small latch which engages
    > > a pin on the camera body. Check this link to see what pin I am taking
    > > about.
    > >
    > > [url]http://voronoi.sbp.ri.cmu.edu/~eshammas/contax/AE2MM.jpg[/url]
    > >
    > > When engaged, this pin allows the camera to operate in program and shutter
    > > priority mode. Actually, you can trick the camera to do that even when
    > > using an older AE lens. All you need to do is put a small piece of paper
    > > to hold the pin in place. I have tried this, but it is not recommended as
    > > the aperture mechanism on AE lenses is bulky and you could actually over
    > > load some camera components and break them.
    > >
    > > Hope this helps.
    > >
    > > Elie
    > >

    > I actually kept a copy of your post about this "trick" on Shuttercity.com.
    >
    > Just curious, do you have to hold the pin down on the body or just engage as
    > you mount the AE lens?
    >
    > Dave

    Elie A Shammas Guest