Professional Web Applications Themes

Continuous Form - Microsoft Access

It is not possible with the standard Access features, AFAIK. Sorry Van T. Dinh MVP (Access) "rick allison" <allisonrjahotmail.com> wrote in message news:036e01c34d69$d073a310$a301280aphx.gbl... > How does one reference a single line in a continuous form? > > I have a continuous form and for each line I want to > display a control (button) or not display it based on > data. If a condition is true for that line I want to > display a button that allows the user to print a report. > If the condition is false I want to hide the button. > > There ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Continuous Form

    It is not possible with the standard Access features, AFAIK.

    Sorry
    Van T. Dinh
    MVP (Access)

    "rick allison" <allisonrjahotmail.com> wrote in message
    > How does one reference a single line in a continuous form?
    >
    > I have a continuous form and for each line I want to
    > display a control (button) or not display it based on
    > data. If a condition is true for that line I want to
    > display a button that allows the user to print a report.
    > If the condition is false I want to hide the button.
    >
    > There will be multiple lines on the form.
    >
    > When I try now I end up hiding or showing all buttons on
    > the form because I code me!btnPrint.visibile = false/true
    > and doing that affects all buttons.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Rick

    Van T. Dinh Guest

  2. #2

    Van I have seen a lot of requests for this"UI" feature lately.
    Personally I do not agree with this functionality, that is the
    appearance/disappearance of controls on a per row basis. THe accepted
    norm is to Enable/Disable per row which I feel is the correct UI and
    easily accomplished using COnditional Formatting.
    Anyhow, there is sample code showing how to achieve the OP's original
    request. It's not perfect but it is as close as I could get. The sample
    form is named "ShowHideControls". It uses a TextBox and CF to produce a
    pseudo CommandButton.
    [url]http://www.lebans.com/conditionalformatting.htm[/url]

    --

    HTH
    Stephen Lebans

    "Van T. Dinh" <VanThien.DinhPlseUseNewsgroup.bigpond.com> wrote in
    message news:#NGy9kbTDHA.1916TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > It is not possible with the standard Access features, AFAIK.
    >
    > Sorry
    > Van T. Dinh
    > MVP (Access)
    >

    > "rick allison" <allisonrjahotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > How does one reference a single line in a continuous form?
    > >
    > > I have a continuous form and for each line I want to
    > > display a control (button) or not display it based on
    > > data. If a condition is true for that line I want to
    > > display a button that allows the user to print a report.
    > > If the condition is false I want to hide the button.
    > >
    > > There will be multiple lines on the form.
    > >
    > > When I try now I end up hiding or showing all buttons on
    > > the form because I code me!btnPrint.visibile = false/true
    > > and doing that affects all buttons.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Rick

    Stephen Lebans Guest

  3. #3

    Stephen,

    On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 13:14:23 -0300, "Stephen Lebans"
    <StephenLebansmvps.org> wrote:
    >... norm is to Enable/Disable per row which I feel is the correct UI and
    >easily accomplished using COnditional Formatting.
    Do you mean by rigging up a textbox to simulate a command button?

    - Steve Schapel, Microsoft Access MVP

    Steve Schapel Guest

  4. #4

    Would the same apply to setting an unbound text box to a value that (kinda
    like a drop down, only without the dropdown 'arrow')?

    thnx,

    eric j owens

    > It is not possible with the standard Access features, AFAIK.

    Eric J Owens Guest

  5. #5

    Stephen,

    Thanks for the response.

    I am okay with Enabling/Disabling controls instead of
    Hiding/Unhiding but on a continuous form the same issue
    exists, at least I think it does? If you put a control on
    the form and do not tie it to a value in the recordset at
    run time it is as if all the controls are one. Is that
    true? And if it is, how then can one enable/disable a
    control for only one row of a continuous form.

    Also, I want to show all rows but based on criteria for
    that row enable/disable the print button. The print
    button will run a report. The button needs to know the
    current row so the correct key value can be passed to the
    report.

    Do you know how to tie a control to a value in the
    recordset and allow enabling/disabling the control based
    on that value? And do you know how to send the current
    row value to the report when that button is clicked? I am
    guessing there is only one on-click set of code?

    Thanks so much for any help you can offer.

    Rick

    benefit.

    >"Van T. Dinh"
    <VanThien.DinhPlseUseNewsgroup.bigpond.com> wrote in
    >message news:#NGy9kbTDHA.1916TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    >> It is not possible with the standard Access features,
    AFAIK.

    >> Sorry
    >> Van T. Dinh
    >> MVP (Access)
    >>

    >> "rick allison" <allisonrjahotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> > How does one reference a single line in a continuous
    form?

    >> > I have a continuous form and for each line I want to
    >> > display a control (button) or not display it based on
    >> > data. If a condition is true for that line I want to
    >> > display a button that allows the user to print a
    report.
    >> > If the condition is false I want to hide the button.
    >> >
    >> > There will be multiple lines on the form.
    >> >
    >> > When I try now I end up hiding or showing all buttons
    on
    >> > the form because I code me!btnPrint.visibile =
    false/true
    >> > and doing that affects all buttons.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks,
    >> >
    >> > Rick
    >>

    >.

    Rick Allison Guest

  6. #6

    As I said earlier in this thread, Conditional Formatting allows you to
    Enable/Disable TextBox or Combo controls for forms in Continuous view.
    THe control does not have to be bound to the underlying recordset. THe
    only caveat is that you have to setup CF via the FormatConditions object
    programmatically to ensure the ENable/Disable props are respected. Have
    a look at the sample I pointed you to on my Web site.

    --

    HTH
    Stephen Lebans

    > Stephen,
    >
    > Thanks for the response.
    >
    > I am okay with Enabling/Disabling controls instead of
    > Hiding/Unhiding but on a continuous form the same issue
    > exists, at least I think it does? If you put a control on
    > the form and do not tie it to a value in the recordset at
    > run time it is as if all the controls are one. Is that
    > true? And if it is, how then can one enable/disable a
    > control for only one row of a continuous form.
    >
    > Also, I want to show all rows but based on criteria for
    > that row enable/disable the print button. The print
    > button will run a report. The button needs to know the
    > current row so the correct key value can be passed to the
    > report.
    >
    > Do you know how to tie a control to a value in the
    > recordset and allow enabling/disabling the control based
    > on that value? And do you know how to send the current
    > row value to the report when that button is clicked? I am
    > guessing there is only one on-click set of code?
    >
    > Thanks so much for any help you can offer.
    >
    > Rick

    Stephen Lebans Guest

  7. #7

    Thanks, Stephen

    I was actually thinking of your sample A2KConditionalFormatting when
    replying to the O.P. and I knew you could rig up something like this. In
    fact, I tempted to recommend using the concept you used in highlighting the
    current row to show / high the CommandButton (not being aware that you
    already had the sample Form) but I thought it may be a bit too hard to try
    (it looks hard enough for me!) and resisted the idea.

    --
    Cheers
    Van T. Dinh

  8. #8

    Thanks, Stephen.

    I will have to download again soon to have a look at all the new things.

    The code is fantastic except we need faster computers. I set up the
    highlighting the current row for one of my work colleagues using P4, 2.4GHz,
    768 MB RAM, local mdb/Tables (on his hard-disk). I thought it ran OK but my
    work colleague said he noticed a bit of difference when he moved from one
    row to the next..

    --
    HTH

  9. #9

    Thanks, Stephen.

    Let me know if you can manage the speed issue. I want to use your code in
    some of my databases (and thanks in advance).

    Cheers
    Van

  10. #10

    Default Continuous Form

    I have a continuous form that shows 2 fields one showing
    per Case and per percent of cost represented by a 1 or a 2
    in the field then I have an amount field. I want to know
    if it is possible to have the amount show as a percent on
    the per percent of cost or the amount only showing the
    decimal when its per case. All the code I have tried has
    chagned all the amount fields to percent or to decimal i'm
    not able to single out each record.

    Thx..
    Mike
    Michael Guest

  12. #12

    i'm
    Larry Guest

  13. #13

    Code is basically the same in different ways:
    If Me.drayagetypeid.Value = 2 Then
    Me.drayageamount1.Format = "Percent"
    Else
    Me.drayageamount1.Format = "General Number"

    End If

    I have also tried to make two fields one visible with the
    percent format and the other with the General but like
    allways the first record changes all the records to the
    same as the first.

    Thx.

    >2 [/ref]
    on [/ref]