Professional Web Applications Themes

Contrast Masking - the best imaging technique since the invention of fire! - Photography

Hi Just wanted to make sure that everyone caught Aaron's list of links on Contrast Masking. This technique can make a huge difference in how your images look. Peter On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 11:15:37 -0400, "Aaron Bredon" <abredonbigfoot.com> wrote: >On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 22:52:37 +0000, Tony Whitaker wrote: >> [email]brunofc.hp.com[/email] (Bruno Melli) wrote in >> news:5QCOa.4133$BE.165news.cpqcorp.net: >> >>> Did you try Bill's suggestion ? >>> (Duplicate layer, set blend mode to screen, and move the opacity slider) >> >> Thanks for that info. That is quite easy to do, but it does affect the >> whole image. That's ...

  1. #1

    Default Contrast Masking - the best imaging technique since the invention of fire!

    <abredonbigfoot.com> wrote:
    >On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 22:52:37 +0000, Tony Whitaker wrote:
    >> [email]brunofc.hp.com[/email] (Bruno Melli) wrote in
    >>
    >>> Did you try Bill's suggestion ?
    >>> (Duplicate layer, set blend mode to screen, and move the opacity slider)
    >>
    >> Thanks for that info. That is quite easy to do, but it does affect the
    >> whole image. That's the problem I was having with all other things I tried
    >> that didn't require selecting an area of the image. It seems that if you
    >> use a tool that works on the whole image, and you try to lighten the dark
    >> parts, there's no way to leave the bright parts entirely untouched.
    >
    >Try this:
    >Duplicate the layer. Invert and apply a large-radius Gaussian blur to the
    >duplicate layer. Set the blend mode to Overlay. This technique will only
    >brighten when the inverted image is brighter than the original, so it will
    >only lighten the darker parts of the image.
    >
    >see these web pages for more details and tips:
    >[url]http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/contrast_masking.shtml[/url]
    >[url]http://www.outbackphoto.com/workshop/photoshop_corner/essay_06/essay.html[/url]
    >[url]http://members.lycos.co.uk/insanityphotos/tnt.htm[/url]
    Digital Photography Reference
    [url]http://members.shaw.ca/jonespm2/PJDigPhot.htm[/url]
    Touchup, an image viewing applet (also shows EXIF)
    [url]http://members.shaw.ca/jonespm2/software.htm[/url]
    Health, happiness and healing
    [url]http://www.SuperNaturalWoman.com[/url]
    Peter Jones Guest

  2. #2

    "Peter Jones" <jonespm2Shaw.canada.earth> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > Just wanted to make sure that everyone caught Aaron's list of links on
    > Contrast Masking. This technique can make a huge difference in how
    > your images look.

    > Digital Photography Reference
    > [url]http://members.shaw.ca/jonespm2/PJDigPhot.htm[/url]
    > Touchup, an image viewing applet (also shows EXIF)
    > [url]http://members.shaw.ca/jonespm2/software.htm[/url]
    > Health, happiness and healing
    > [url]http://www.SuperNaturalWoman.com[/url]
    I agree completely! Contrast masking (CM) can help compensate for some of
    the perceived dynamic range limitations associated with CCD imagers in
    digital cameras. No, CM won't really increase the DR, but it sure looks
    like it did in many cases! There's a psychological barrier you may have to
    leap over, though: the technique is so seductively simple and effective
    that it's easy to believe contrast masking must be evil. The first time I
    tried it, I was so astounded that I recoiled from my moniter in disbelief ,
    stumbling over my chair while muttering, "Uhhh...that ain't right... there
    are some things we weren't meant to know..."

    The only real bit of advice I have about the technique is urge people to
    experiment with both the Gaussian blur radius and the transparency of the
    overlay to get the best results.

    Paul H. Guest

  3. #3

    Please repost Aaron's links...

    "Paul H." <xxpaulhtckearthlink.net> wrote in message
    news:11YPa.3355$fD1.1845newsread3.news.pas.earthl ink.net...

    > "Peter Jones" <jonespm2Shaw.canada.earth> wrote in message
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > Just wanted to make sure that everyone caught Aaron's list of links on
    > > Contrast Masking. This technique can make a huge difference in how
    > > your images look.

    > > Digital Photography Reference
    > > [url]http://members.shaw.ca/jonespm2/PJDigPhot.htm[/url]
    > > Touchup, an image viewing applet (also shows EXIF)
    > > [url]http://members.shaw.ca/jonespm2/software.htm[/url]
    > > Health, happiness and healing
    > > [url]http://www.SuperNaturalWoman.com[/url]
    >
    > I agree completely! Contrast masking (CM) can help compensate for some of
    > the perceived dynamic range limitations associated with CCD imagers in
    > digital cameras. No, CM won't really increase the DR, but it sure looks
    > like it did in many cases! There's a psychological barrier you may have
    > leap over, though: the technique is so seductively simple and effective
    > that it's easy to believe contrast masking must be evil. The first time I
    > tried it, I was so astounded that I recoiled from my moniter in disbelief
    ,
    > stumbling over my chair while muttering, "Uhhh...that ain't right... there
    > are some things we weren't meant to know..."
    >
    > The only real bit of advice I have about the technique is urge people to
    > experiment with both the Gaussian blur radius and the transparency of the
    > overlay to get the best results.

    Frank Kentner Guest

  4. #4

    Frank, once again, here is Aaron's message and the links...

    <abredonbigfoot.com> wrote:
    >On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 22:52:37 +0000, Tony Whitaker wrote:
    >> [email]brunofc.hp.com[/email] (Bruno Melli) wrote in
    >>
    >>> Did you try Bill's suggestion ?
    >>> (Duplicate layer, set blend mode to screen, and move the opacity slider)
    >>
    >> Thanks for that info. That is quite easy to do, but it does affect the
    >> whole image. That's the problem I was having with all other things I tried
    >> that didn't require selecting an area of the image. It seems that if you
    >> use a tool that works on the whole image, and you try to lighten the dark
    >> parts, there's no way to leave the bright parts entirely untouched.
    >
    >Try this:
    >Duplicate the layer. Invert and apply a large-radius Gaussian blur to the
    >duplicate layer. Set the blend mode to Overlay. This technique will only
    >brighten when the inverted image is brighter than the original, so it will
    >only lighten the darker parts of the image.
    >
    >see these web pages for more details and tips:
    >[url]http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/contrast_masking.shtml[/url]
    >[url]http://www.outbackphoto.com/workshop/photoshop_corner/essay_06/essay.html[/url]
    >[url]http://members.lycos.co.uk/insanityphotos/tnt.htm[/url]

    As mentioned in an earlier message, I've added this technique to the
    image processing script I've written for PhotoPaint 8, for my
    websites. That way I can easily see how the image looks at various
    levels of Contrast Masking, gamma, etc. Here is a snapshot of the
    dialog as it looked a day or so (ie: it's way different now!):

    [url]http://www.SuperNaturalWoman.com/pmjimageconv.jpg[/url]

    Peter

  5. #5

    On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 18:00:29 GMT, "Paul H." <xxpaulhtckearthlink.net>
    wrote:

    <<SNIP>>

    >The only real bit of advice I have about the technique is urge people to
    >experiment with both the Gaussian blur radius and the transparency of the
    >overlay to get the best results.
    I would also strongly suggest playing with the order of the steps too.
    I have found that if you leave the Gaussian Blur step until after you
    have set the layer to overlay, you can see the effects immediately of
    the different radii. I find this gives much better control.

    Andre Guest