Professional Web Applications Themes

Contribute 2 and DW 4 - Macromedia Dreamweaver

Contribute 2 was announced today and will be available on July 29. I use DW 4 and will begin helping a small church with its website, which is currently a text based website. We want to make it spiffy, and have the church administrator do routine upgrades. I have discarded the idea of using SSI include-files for content. Contribute 1 does not provide drop-down menus for wrapping styles around the content if the styles are imported into the shtml file. Based on info from this newsgroup (thank you!) the styles would need to be present in the include-file which Contribute ...

  1. #1

    Default Contribute 2 and DW 4

    Contribute 2 was announced today and will be available on July 29. I use DW
    4 and will begin helping a small church with its website, which is currently
    a text based website. We want to make it spiffy, and have the church
    administrator do routine upgrades.

    I have discarded the idea of using SSI include-files for content. Contribute
    1 does not provide drop-down menus for wrapping styles around the content if
    the styles are imported into the shtml file. Based on info from this
    newsgroup (thank you!) the styles would need to be present in the
    include-file which Contribute is editing. Accordingly we are now thinking
    about DW4 templates, which probably makes good sense anyway. The church uses
    its free webspace on the church's AT&T ISP account, which means SSI would
    probably not be supported without an upgrade, so using templates is looking
    better and better.

    I just learned the church file server needs SFTP. Regular FTP is not good
    enough. Per Macromedia's press release Contribute 2 will support SFTP. So
    far so good.

    Questions:

    1. What is the best way to learn about DW4 templates? I have the help files,
    and the paper manual which came with DW4, as well as Dreamweaver 4 Magic. My
    preferences in learning are to learn from a paper manual or book, or from an
    online tutorial. I'm not too good at learning from Complete Reference
    Guides.

    2. Access control/check-out/check-in: Same question. What is the best way to
    learn about it?

    3. Do Project Seven products have anything which prevents them from working
    with Contribute?

    4. Does DW4 support SFTP?

    5. Does Contribute 2 work with DW4 templates?

    Thanks!

    - Dan Ashley

    Dan Ashley Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Contribute 2 and DW 4

    Dan:

    Ask on their forum -

    [url]news://forums.projectseven.com/pviiwebdev[/url]

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "Dan Ashley" <dashleyhappybirthdaylanermuchin.com> wrote in message
    > Dan Ashley asked:
    > > 3. Do Project Seven products have anything which prevents them from
    > working with Contribute?
    >
    > "Murray *TMM* responded:
    >
    > I don't think so. But be aware that CT will not work well with hidden
    > layers.
    >
    > New Question:
    >
    > I like the idea of PVII DesignPacks. Any suggetions of which PVII's
    > DesignPacks
    > rely on hidden layers? I'd be better off avoiding potential problems.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > - Dan Ashley
    > --
    > Please reply to Newsgroup. If you must reply via email, remember, its not
    my
    > birthday.

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  3. #3