Professional Web Applications Themes

contribute 3.11 to v4 ? what's different? - Macromedia Contribute General Discussion

I've have looked for the last 1/2 hour all over Adobe, trying to find a page that would show me what is different/added from v3.11 to v4. does anyone have a clue, or a link, or anything?? thanks :disgust;...

  1. #1

    Default contribute 3.11 to v4 ? what's different?

    I've have looked for the last 1/2 hour all over Adobe, trying to find a page
    that would show me what is different/added
    from v3.11 to v4. does anyone have a clue, or a link, or anything??

    thanks
    :disgust;

    AccDev Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: contribute 3.11 to v4 ? what's different?

    I had the ame problem and found some pages with a list of what is in Contribute
    4 but not an actual comparison. I finally called Adobe and talked to a
    pre-sales person. He said the features are the same as in Contribute 3 plus
    they added:
    Flash/Video Support (you can drag in Flash to be placed on a page)
    Blog development
    Import docs from Microsoft Apps
    Use CFM, PHP, several programming languages
    .mac support (using their templates)
    Spell Check (a nice feature)

    Since I design the sites for my clients and many of them would not need most
    of the list above, the real added feature would be spell check.

    You can also take part in an Online Live Seminar. Go to:
    [url]http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/event/index.cfm?event=detail&id=590654&loc=en_us[/url]

    -Janet

    janetzag Guest

  3. #3

    Ummm, 3.11 already had spell check.

    The "new features" info on Adobe actually lists several things that aren't new. More important though--what did they FIX?
    abna Guest

  4. #4

    There were well over 1200 bugs that were addressed in this release both new and old. Do you have a specific issue that you are wondering about?

    Shane
    Adobe TS
    Shane T - Adobe TS Guest

  5. #5

    Actually, I've been keeping a list:

    Getting disconnected from the CPS when publishing large files
    When publishing large files--files starting at around 30 MB--a timeout occurs
    and the user is disconnected from the CPS. The files do get published, but the
    user must reconnect to continue working.

    Getting randomly disconnected from templates
    At random times when working in Contribute, users get disconnected from the
    templates. When attempting to use one of the template features, like the
    repeating region controls or the template properties, the users get an error
    message.

    Unable to set absolute paths for images
    It is necessary at times (like when working with includes) for image paths to
    be written absolutely, like "/images/mypic.gif" instead of
    "../../images/mypic.gif". However, Contribute will rewrite the path relatively
    when users attempt to enter an absolute path.

    Missing image alignment properties
    The image alignment properties are missing some options: baseline, bottom,
    text top, absolute middle, absolute bottom.

    Repeating region controls can disappear
    If a user clicks the minus button one too many times on a repeating region,
    the controls will disappear along with the last item. The user can't get the
    controls back without going to Dreamweaver.

    Non-WYSIWYG display of bulleted list CSS
    Bulleted list styles do not display correctly in edit mode. In particular,
    border and margin are not supported correctly.

    Background colors can still be set even when disallowed
    Even if a user's role settings disallow the use of background colors, they can
    still set them in tables using "Format Table". This should be deactivated if
    "Allow user to apply font color and background color" is unselected.

    Contribute crashing on launch
    For an unknown reason, Contribute sometimes crashes on launch.

    Auto File Deployment
    Needed modifications to handle a three-server environment
    (Develop-Test-Deploy) and to handle dependent files correctly.

    Simple File Deployment
    Needed modifications to limit access by role and to list all pages

    Setting image properties for images in the shared assets
    There is no way to set default image properties for images in the shared
    assets.

    Adding descriptions for shared assets
    Need a way to add a description for each asset that would get displayed in the
    shared assets menu, since code assets show nothing in the preview window.

    Tag Selector
    When trying to select a bulleted list to apply a style to it, sometimes the
    style will get applied to the [BULLET] tag and sometimes it gets applied to the
    [LI] tag. When trying to select a link to apply a style to, the style may be
    add a style to the correct tag can have a huge impact on the site's design.

    User-Friendly Terminology
    My users are confused by the naming of some some of the features. Menu items
    for working offline or on pages that are not part of a "site"--Open, Close
    Draft, Save As, Export, Work Offline--should be kept in a separate menu and
    clearly labelled.

    List of Reviewers
    The list of reviewers should be limited to just show any user whose role
    provides them access to the page that's being sent for review.

    Multiple Roles
    Users should be allowed to hold more than one role within a site, so they can
    have one set of role settings for one area of the site and other settings for a
    different area.

    Publisher-NonEditor Role
    Need a way to set the actions that can be taken on a site or in a role, ie
    whether or not users can send for review, publish, delete, rollback, or edit.
    This would be helpful for an approver role--you want them to be able to approve
    a page by hitting publish, but you don't want to let them try to make changes
    themselves.

    abna Guest

  6. #6

    And how many bugs weren't addressed in this release?

    "Shane T - Adobe TS" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > There were well over 1200 bugs that were addressed in this release both
    > new and old. Do you have a specific issue that you are wondering about?
    >
    > Shane
    > Adobe TS

    zippy Guest

  7. #7

    I'll need to dig on the list...

    Not fixed...

    ~400 bugs marked as deferred out of this release to a future release. Which is
    actually not bad in comparison to other products I work with. These range from
    crashers to enhancement requests.

    Also, I am not the best at searching that database so I could be off on any or
    all of these numbers.

    Shane
    Adobe TS

    Shane T - Adobe TS Guest

  8. #8

    It would be really great if Adobe published an "issues fixed in this release"
    doent, for example
    [url]http://www.mozilla.org/projects/security/known-vulnerabilities.html[/url]

    Nice list abna! I could do with some of those being fixed myself.

    Tom Benjamin Guest

  9. #9

    Wow! Double Wow! If I let that many KNOWN bugs go by in the software I write
    I would quickly be shown the door and not invited back!

    Guess that's the advantage of a big corporation having a marketing
    department that makes the decisions to force software out the door before
    it's ready!!

    "Shane T - Adobe TS" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > ~400 bugs marked as deferred out of this release to a future release.
    > Which is

    zippy Guest

  10. #10

    See, now those are the comments that make me regret even giving an honest
    answer. I'll ask the product manager if they want to disclose the bug fixed
    list, ultimately, that is his decision.

    I bet there are more bugs that are fixed that are not in that list from
    Mozilla, those are just the ones they chose to disclose.

    Shane
    Adobe TS

    Shane T - Adobe TS Guest

  11. #11

    I think Adobe would have got off to a better start with Contribute 4 if they
    had given a real picture of what's new in this version. Show me something that
    helps me justify the upgrade! The Upgrade Guide page/ just doesn't do that.

    Maybe Firefox does have more bugs, but at least they're telling us which ones
    they've fixed!

    Tom Benjamin Guest

  12. #12

    Ok, I'm out at this point.

    Tom, download the trial and see if you like it. If you do, upgrade, if you
    don't then stick with your current version and uninstall 4. We'll be releasing
    another version in the future and I will pass along your comments to the
    Product Manager. Hopefully next time we'll get it right.

    Thanks

    Shane
    Adobe TS

    Shane T - Adobe TS Guest

  13. #13

    Try it and see if I like the upgrade? That's not very good advice. It isn't a
    question of whether I LIKE the upgrade; it's a question of whether installing
    it is going to be beneficial to us. A pro will want to read the release
    notes, to see what the new features are, what was fixed, and what the
    unresolved issues are. AFTER reading that information, if there are not enough
    red flags to warn one off, is the time to go the next step, which is to install
    the software and try it. Most responsible software vendors have been
    providing that kind of information for decades, now -- some doing a better job
    of it than others.

    I don't blame Adobe for not wanting to provide the bug list in internal, raw
    form. But unwillingness to provide informative release notes is a huge red
    flag to me. I am not going to roll the upgrade out to 30 users without having
    a good reason why, which I likely am not going to have without reading the
    release notes first.

    (I found this forum and this thread because I, too, wasted a lot of time this
    afternoon trying to find release notes.)

    spokesperson Guest

  14. #14

    I've been told by a couple of people that you can run 3.11 and 4 at the same
    time, so that's what I'm going to do. That way I can still have 3.1 to
    administer my real site with while I test out 4 on a separate site. I certainly
    wouldn't recommend using 4 on your real site without some solid information
    first. And I'm not letting my users upgrade to 4 until I'm satisfied that it
    makes things better and not worse. Besides, we still have some seats left to
    hand out on the 50-package we bought.

    abna Guest

  15. #15

    Here is a bug that has never been fixed. The Contribute/FlashPaper toolbars in
    Word working with the EndNote toolbar. This was an issue that was raised when
    FlashPaper was first released (and never been resolved) and now has become a
    problem with the new Contribute toolbar in Word. I utilize other 3rd party
    toolbars in conjunction w/ Word & EndNote and they have never posed a problem.

    ajtaylor Guest

  16. #16

    Quite! Personally, I have tested and read about every feature of both
    Contribute 3.11 AND 4. In doing so, I have concluded that the ONLY truly new
    features in Contribute 4 are those directly related to blogs and blogging. Bug
    fixes are nice, but really should be released as patches, and do not, in my
    view, qualify for a major release on their own. Unless one has a need to
    create or support site(s) that involve blogs, there is NO GOOD REASON to
    upgrade to Contribute 4. Moreover, while one might try to argue that doing so
    is justified based upon bug fixes, that's just shooting in the dark since Adobe
    has not released any kind of a list of fixed bugs, etc. What disappoints me
    about this even more is Adobe's clear DISHONESTY in its supposed "new features"
    lists for Contribute 4. As has already been pointed out in this forum, most of
    those features are NOT NEW, but already present in Contribute 3.11, and those
    that are new, as I've said, are ALL related to blogs and blogging. What Adobe
    should have done is put Contribute 4 as Contribute 3.5 instead, and published a
    complete list of bug fixes as well as remaining known issues. That at least
    would give the developer community some level of comfort as to Adobe's
    integrity and honesty, both of which are essential for any company to truly
    prosper. I hope this is not a sign of things to come now that Adobe has
    acquired Macromedia. As far as I am concerned, this is more than a minor
    mis-step on Adobe's part. When Studio 9 is finally released, I for one, will
    feel less confident from the start that I should upgrade. I expect more from
    Adobe/Macromedia than this!

    THuckabay Guest

  17. #17

    A point not explicitly mentioned is the improved CSS support in C4's
    WYSIWYG
    environment. For our needs, that alone was worth upgrading as we
    have recently moved to an all box-model layout in templates. (Worth the price
    is another story.)

    As a follow-up comment, an honest "What is New Doent" and not simply a
    marketing one-sheet is a basic expectation from a professional organization;
    that is what is causing such consternation against the Adobe/Macromedia debut
    of a product release.

    Adobe, some comments are venting - but don't run and hide, we just need
    information in order to do our job with your products.

    PC1138 Guest