Professional Web Applications Themes

Contribute 4: Opinions??? - Macromedia Contribute General Discussion

I've had contribute 4 for nearly a month now (the trial version anyway) and i have to say i'm disappointed. I'm annoyed with the lack of support from adobe regarding issues that are not covered in the confusing FAQ's and troubleshooting guide. So far contribute 4 has deleted half my website, when i've edited and updated it, (easy enough to rectify - but irritating nonetheless) and i can't recommend it to clients who need to upate their website from their offices once initial design has ended. I feel this is what happens when products move companies and services are not ...

  1. #1

    Default Contribute 4: Opinions???

    I've had contribute 4 for nearly a month now (the trial version anyway) and i
    have to say i'm disappointed. I'm annoyed with the lack of support from adobe
    regarding issues that are not covered in the confusing FAQ's and
    troubleshooting guide.

    So far contribute 4 has deleted half my website, when i've edited and updated
    it, (easy enough to rectify - but irritating nonetheless) and i can't recommend
    it to clients who need to upate their website from their offices once initial
    design has ended.

    I feel this is what happens when products move companies and services are not
    maintained in the transition.

    What does everybody else think? What are general views on contribute - what
    would you recommend doing?

    In general a very disappointing trial - bizarre how contribute is clearly
    geared towards the PC user and not the mac user which is surely the number one
    (general) design format?

    Steve Hemmings Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Contribute 4: Opinions???

    We are very happy with Contribute 4 and are moving most of our clients to it
    .... especially those who create their own newsletters. Contribute 4 allows them
    to create absolute text links and absolute links to their images. This feature
    alone is a huge plus.

    Our sites are CSS XHTML standards-compliant, built from Dreamweaver templates.
    We have had no problems with the upgrades.

    Marje Guest

  3. #3

    I agree with you in some respects - what it allows those with limited web
    knowledge to do is great. It is relatvely simple to operate when it operates
    correctly, and it gives moe license to the individual.

    But, and its a big BUT, there is absolutely no customer service from adobe,
    and looking through the forum this seems to be a sticking point for adobe that
    keeps coming up time and time again, also contribute 4 has so many problems,
    issues with individual sites and cpu's (as seen throughout the posts in the
    forum).

    I suppose my main beef is with adobe and not the programme, as it is something
    that requires some interaction between customer (me) and programmer (adobe).

    Steve Hemmings Guest

  4. #4

    Hi Steve,

    If you could, please email any comments you have the troubleshooting guide and
    the rest you found confusing. I am more than happy to try to make that
    information more clear.

    Also, if you contacted support and were not happy with the experience, I would
    like to get your case number so I can look into.

    Please send feedback directly to me at [email]shtracyadobe.com[/email]

    Thanks!

    Shane Tracy
    WW Product Support Manager

    Shane T - Adobe TS Guest

  5. #5

    Marje,

    I'd be curious to know whether Contribute 4 is respecting your XHTML DTD. I'm
    deploying a new site, that is using the following DTD:

    Contribute should be following this, and inserting <br/> instead of <br>, not
    allowing for the width attribute in table definitions, etc; but it is still
    allowing for a lot of XHTML no-nos. Did you have to do anything extra to force
    Contribute 4 to respect the DTD?

    mpconsumer Guest

  6. #6

    Hi Marje No PM so sorry if OT

    But where do you get Dreamwaver Templates? Or are your referring to the ones
    that comes with the software?
    >>Our sites are CSS XHTML standards-compliant, built from Dreamweaver
    templates.<<

    Thanks
    Dave

    drdave17 Guest