Professional Web Applications Themes

"Contribute cannot verify your connection information"- Every other problem ruled out, but still no connection - Macromedia Contribute Connection Administrtion

Hi, first, please allow me to give you the background info Client OS - Windows 2000/XP Pro Version - Contribute 2.01 - I installed the patch from the website Server OS - RedHat 9 Server FTP - VS-FTPD Username - website How I tested/diagnosed the problem - 2 separate computers - No success - Both development and live webservers (both same OS/FTP) - No success - Used alternate FTP (WS_FTP) to test FTP connection using website account. - success - Attempted FTP & Secure FTP - No success - Attempted Passive/Performance on/off for FTP - No success - Downloaded and ...

  1. #1

    Default "Contribute cannot verify your connection information"- Every other problem ruled out, but still no connection

    Hi, first, please allow me to give you the background info
    Client OS - Windows 2000/XP Pro
    Version - Contribute 2.01 - I installed the patch from the website
    Server OS - RedHat 9
    Server FTP - VS-FTPD
    Username - website

    How I tested/diagnosed the problem
    - 2 separate computers - No success
    - Both development and live webservers (both same OS/FTP) - No success
    - Used alternate FTP (WS_FTP) to test FTP connection using website account. -
    success
    - Attempted FTP & Secure FTP - No success
    - Attempted Passive/Performance on/off for FTP - No success
    - Downloaded and ran FTP Server Checker for server address - All tests
    successful
    - Connected Contribute 2 to another website (running Windows IIS) - Successful
    - Selected explicit and soft-linked path to Website source
    - On server, permissions set to write/read/execute for website account in all
    folders of website source
    - Checked compatibility list, VS-FTPD on RH 9 Linux compatible with 2.01
    - Also have Dreamweaver, using same settings, FTP successful

    While establishing a web connection
    - Folder browse worked perfectly, navigated all the way to root and to within
    website source

    Everything here says that Contribute should be able to connect to our website
    without difficulty. I've done everything listed in the technotes. Yet, when I
    try, I stilll get the "Cannot verify your connection information".

    Everything else has been eliminated. What MORE do I have to do?

    The situation is getting critical. I can't devote my time to debugging your
    product.

    paulwolb Guest

  2. #2

    Where is it dying? When you click Next after inputting your FTP settings, or when you click Next after choosing the folder for your website?
    christina.heikkila Guest

  3. #3

    Hi there

    Was there a resolution to this as I have exactly the same problem.

    Ashley
    ashtrac Guest

  4. #4

    So do I. It is occurring on the screen where I click Next after choosing the folder for my website
    cwillsjr Guest

  5. #5

    As I understand it, when you click Next after choosing the folder, Contribute
    tries to write a file in the folder, using the username/password you've
    specified. Then it tries to read it back. If it can't, it complains. Since
    the username/password were checked in the step before, that's not the problem.
    The problem is either that you've specified the wrong folder, or the user
    you've told Contribute to use doesn't have permission to write a file in that
    folder.

    christina.heikkila Guest

  6. #6

    My problem is similar. I'm trying to connect using SFTP and when I select the
    folder that contains my website root ( I can see all of the files there) it
    says it cannot verify the connection. I used this very same login with WinSCP3
    to create the directories and upload the files so I know I have permission to
    do everything needed. I have gone through the manual troubleshooting using
    psftp and I can perform every function asked. The only discrepancy I noticed
    was that the response I received from the server after each command was a lot
    less than was indicated in the sample screens. In some cases I received no
    confirmation at all yet entering "ls" showed me that the operation was
    performed. Could there be some response setting on the server that needs to be
    changed?

    pdpesch Guest

  7. #7

    Not to appear as ignorant as I truly am of DreamWeaver MX 2004, or any other
    version (hard core html'er trying to learn new "tricks".).......

    I would like to know how many more things am I going to have to purchase
    before I have what is NEEDED to create a website, (or five), FTP them to my
    server, and allow others to have the ability to work with me on the site?
    So far:
    DW MX 2004
    FW
    Some other thing I haven't learned yet
    and now I am to purchase some Contribute program that none of you all seem to
    like very well!~lol!~

    HELP.... am I digging a financial hole? We are a nonprofit, a REAL nonprofit;
    more like a DFL, (Definitely For Loss)
    I am not certain why I need this Contribute thingy but will our Volunteers
    also need this?

    FYI: I could not get DW to connect to my server .... until I killed Zone
    Alarm.
    I had the permissions set every way imaginable but could not connect, Passive
    or otherwise......

    Can I use a different FTP Program? I forced one site that is still needing
    some "life" put in it but can't figure out how to get my Anfy Applets to work
    with DW....
    I used to use AceFTP.

    I wish I had known how intrusive this program seems to be, before we purchased
    it for our Volunteers.

    Any advice or suggestions are appreciated..

    Jo:confused;

    Hope4KidZ Guest