Professional Web Applications Themes

Contribute cannot verify your connection information - Adobe Dreamweaver & Contribute

Its been working okay up until now - I just bought a new domain name and it won't connect to it. It'll connect to the other domain names but not this one - i wonder is it because the domain name is adaptationnurse.co.uk repeat of double n or what? Contribute cannot verify your connection information /web/ Please contact your administrator. I am the administrator. Using Contribute 3, emac, powermac OSX.3.9 Works okay on DreamWeaver - even cutie mac - how annoying!...

  1. #1

    Default Contribute cannot verify your connection information

    Its been working okay up until now - I just bought a new domain name and it
    won't connect to it. It'll connect to the other domain names but not this one -
    i wonder is it because the domain name is adaptationnurse.co.uk repeat of
    double n or what?

    Contribute cannot verify your connection information /web/ Please contact your
    administrator. I am the administrator.

    Using Contribute 3, emac, powermac OSX.3.9

    Works okay on DreamWeaver - even cutie mac - how annoying!

    larryuk Guest

  2. #2

    I recently ran into an installation issue that additional doentation would
    have resolved. Adding more information about the required permissions on the
    web server in particular with the following situation:

    1) You have your public html directory shared from your Windows web server
    over your local area network (LAN)
    2) You provide read-only access to the network share and root directory for
    Contribute users (you don't want them deleting the home page but want them to
    have access to add/delete content in specific directories below the root level)
    3) You want to create a connection in Contribute to your web server

    If you try with the above situation, you get a message back that your
    connection cannot be verified (e.g. Contribute cannot verify your connection
    information. //server/share/ Please contact your administrator for
    assistance). However, if you give Contribute users "create files / write data"
    permission to the root directory (not delete, create directories, etc)...then
    Contribute creates 3 temporary files whenever a Contribute users connects for
    the first time. You can restrict them from modifying any files or folders at
    the root level, but they must be able to create those temporary files or you
    won't be able to create an initial connection.

    This still leaves a hole in security in that any Contribute user can post a
    new file to the root of the web server. I'm going to copy and paste this
    message over to the enhancement request forum so that the dev team can consider
    a patch or including a different mechanism for verifying connections other than
    writing temporary files. Perhaps a warning that it can write temporary files
    but still allowing you to create a connection in Contribute would work well.

    <rant>Either way I spent way too much time on this and on the phone with
    Macromedia Support. Their answer was I have to use secure FTP if I want to
    have the level of security I'm looking for. My answer back was their
    doentation doesn't give any specific details about the required server
    security settings required to make a successful connection via LAN/Network. I
    realize a fix might not be avialable until the next version, but I'm
    disatisfied with the need to create this security hole for what according to
    the doentation appears to be a legitamate way to connect to the web server.
    </rant>

    sjniedermeyer Guest

  3. #3

    I received an email after submitting a request that this issue be addressed as
    an enhancement that solves this issues as designed by the software (but
    undoented or atleast buried so far that neither I or the Macromedia tech
    support rep I was working with could find it). A big thank you to Darrick for
    taking the time to help me resolve my issue (the key is to send connection keys
    only and establish user rolls ahead of time):

    Hi

    Contribute has functionality to get around this issue.

    If you administer your site in Contribute, you can assign access paths
    to the various roles you have defined. In this case, administer the
    role that you assign to your users and provide an access path to the
    highest level folder where they are allowed to create new pages (you can
    create multiple access paths if they need access to multiple folders).
    Then create a connection key for the users in that role and have them
    connect using that key.

    Now when they connect, Contribute will understand that they are
    restricted to the path that you provided and Contribute will create the
    necessary test files in that location, rather than at the root of your
    site. This allows you to keep the root of your website "read only" to
    these users and allows Contribute to get around that permission
    restriction.

    Hope this helps.

    Darrick Brown
    Contribute

    sjniedermeyer Guest

  4. #4

    :confused;

    I'm connected to the web files via local/network connection but I'm getting this error:

    "Contribute cannot verify your connection information"

    Any suggestions

    Andres
    andres_eriksen Guest

  5. #5

    Are you on Mac or windows?

    Contribute throws that error when you have a mismatch between Website url and
    LAN Location where site is residing.

    in order to avoid this, Verify the following:

    1. Check your website url in Browser. Does it work fine? Contribute will
    throw an error incase your website url is incorrect and still you want to
    connect to it. Are you getting this error?
    2. Is your LAN Path correct?

    Need more help.. i am sure to sort it out. Write back to me.

    - Arun
    Contribute Team.

    amadas Guest

  6. #6

    I think I am having the same problem too, I can connect just fien using an FTP
    program, but when I enter the details into Contribute, it seems to connect, and
    I get to the part where you have to enter your name and email address, but then
    when you try to process, it comes up with this error "unknown error" great help!

    My client cannot connect either but they get a different error, saying "unable
    to connect"...what the hell is going on, I seem to always have a problem with
    Contribute 3!! - not happy bunny!

    Any ideas?

    mumf Guest

  7. #7

    > I think I am having the same problem too, I can connect just fien
    > using an FTP program, but when I enter the details into Contribute, it
    > seems to connect, and I get to the part where you have to enter your
    > name and email address, but then when you try to process, it comes up
    > with this error "unknown error" great help!
    >
    > My client cannot connect either but they get a different error,
    > saying "unable to connect"...what the hell is going on, I seem to
    > always have a problem with Contribute 3!! - not happy bunny!
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Hi,
    Contribute requires Write permissions for the site root folder you have connected.

    See if this is the issue.

    Hope this helps !

    -Avinash

    Avinash Rao Guest

  8. #8

    Hi

    The permissions on the folder are set to "777"
    mumf Guest

  9. #9

    I have the same problem. Dreamweaver connects to my server through
    local/network but contribute give me the "Contribute cannot verify your
    connection information" error. My website works fine in my browser and the path
    to my folders is correct. I'm using windows xp por OS with admin rights. Does
    contribute have anything to do with the testing server DW connects to?

    Upperdecker Guest

  10. #10

    I'm having the same problem as andres in the original post, the message comes
    up when trying to Continue out of the "Remote Path Info" box. I am able to
    browse to the location so Contribute does know its there. This is with
    Contribute 4 on Mac OS X connecting to a Linux server.

    I manually ran the FTP connection tests via command line:
    [url]http://store1.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_19496[/url]
    and all tests passed successfully

    I also downloaded and ran FTP Connection Checker (on my Windows machine) at:
    [url]http://store1.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_19012[/url]
    and passed all tests successfully.

    The wording with these tests imply that they are the same tests run by
    Contribute, i doubt that to be the case since these pass but Contribute fails.

    I have tried this with the site root and _mm folder set to permissions of 777
    with no luck. I am able to connect and edit successfully with Dreamweaver and
    FTP with Transmit (Mac OS X).

    I'm about out of things to try and my deadline to train the client is coming
    up. Any further insight on this would sure be appreciated!

    Bill_in_Stlou Guest

  11. #11

    Hi, similar problem experienced a few months back, very frustrating. The ISP
    (eventually!) found the cause, which relates to how Contribute confirms an
    initial connection. Edited version of ISP's reply:

    "We have been able to te the issue you were having and believe it
    was being caused by the site being housed on multiple web servers
    ("multi-homing"). This is done for load balancing and high availability.

    As you would be aware when Contribute checks the set up information it writes
    temporary files then attempts to read them. If the load balancer sends the read
    request to one of the servers that the temp file wasn't written to, Contribute
    correctly sees this as a failure.

    We have disabled load balancing ...etc. (this fixed the problem, until they
    inadvertently swapped the site back to multi-homing a few weeks later - same
    problem again, and again fixed as soon as they disabled load balancing).

    If you ever run into this problem again an nslookup or dig will identify the
    issue straight away. The results will include multiple IP's for the URL."

    Suggest contacting your ISP and checking this as a possible reason.

    fwxcookies Guest

  12. #12

    fwxcookies,

    It turns out this site is not multi-homed, so that's not the issue. But that
    certainly was a plausible answer and I'm sure your post will save someone a lot
    of trouble sometime!

    The search continues...

    Bill_in_Stlou Guest

  13. #13

    What does this error message mean? It tells me to contact the administrator;
    however, I am the administrator. What information should I know? I've already
    tried to remove the _mm folder as suggested in another thread, but that did not
    work. I can transfer files with another SFTP client so I'm fairly certain that
    it's not a permission issue. The server is running Redhat Linux, and
    Contribute is connecting using SFTP.

    I've already had to put in a special firewall ruleset to allow the the client
    to connect (even though other clients did not have any issues). How many
    connections does Contribute need to make during the login sequence? The more I
    test this client, the less suitable it looks. Is there anyone out there who
    has run into these issues?

    pwatvu Guest

  14. #14

    I managed to get a little more information. Contribute is able to successfully
    login to get my home directory; however, an authentication failure shows up in
    my logs for the next step. What happens in the next step? Is this a bug?

    pwatvu Guest

  15. #15

    Hello,

    To be able to verify your connection, Contribute will try to upload a TEMP
    file using the FTP information that you provided. After uploading the file,
    the application will try to test if it can access the TEMP file that it created
    via the HTTP address in your connection.

    - Are you running Apache on your web server? Are you running mod_secure in
    Apache?
    - Make sure that Contribute can upload, download and overwrite files on the
    remote server.
    - Make sure that your server allows access to TMP files via HTTP.

    AndrewDG-MMTS Guest

  16. #16

    I was able to successfully create a connection for a user on my own
    workstation, but when I tried to walk the person through step-by-step, she
    received the unable to connect message. I then removed my connection, tried it
    again, and was unsuccessful and received the same error message. I have full
    access to the Web and FTP server directories and can verify the ability to
    read/write/delete files through a separate FTP client. I'm using Win2003 and
    IIS 6 on the back end and Contribute 4 as the client.

    This was an ongoing problem with Contribute 3 as well.

    ddong Guest

  17. #17

    [q]Originally posted by: AndrewDG-MMTS
    Hello,

    To be able to verify your connection, Contribute will try to upload a TEMP
    file using the FTP information that you provided. After uploading the file,
    the application will try to test if it can access the TEMP file that it created
    via the HTTP address in your connection.

    - Are you running Apache on your web server? Are you running mod_secure in
    Apache?
    - Make sure that Contribute can upload, download and overwrite files on the
    remote server.
    - Make sure that your server allows access to TMP files via HTTP.

    [/q]

    The server is Apache on RH Linux with mod_security. The connection is via
    SFTP. Please note this is SFTP over SSH not plain text FTP. Do you mean /tmp
    by TEMP and TMP? Or a temp directory in the content location? Why does
    Contribute need to write files to TMP (?) via HTTP when the upload mechanism is
    SFTP? There are no associated mod_security log entries that correspond to an
    upload. The user's home directory is not under the Apache DoentRoot, and is
    not web accessible. The connection wizard does not prompt for the content
    directory so how does it know where to upload the TMP file?

    pwatvu Guest

  18. #18

    There is also an authentication error in my syslog during the verification
    step. I'm not sure why Contribute can retrieve my home directory, but not go
    back the second time during the verification stage. The fact the Contribute
    uses multiple connections is possibly going to pose a problem when connection
    throttling comes into play.

    pwatvu Guest

  19. #19

    [q]Originally posted by: ddong
    I was able to successfully create a connection for a user on my own
    workstation, but when I tried to walk the person through step-by-step, she
    received the unable to connect message. I then removed my connection, tried it
    again, and was unsuccessful and received the same error message. I have full
    access to the Web and FTP server directories and can verify the ability to
    read/write/delete files through a separate FTP client. [/q]

    I am having the same issue. (Contribute 3.11) Any ideas out there????

    SLU LAW developer Guest

  20. #20

    I was finally able to resolve the issue I was having (Contribute 4 w/ CPS on
    Win2003, SP1 and IIS). Unfortunately what I had to do was go into IIS, delete
    the FTP and WWW site definitions and rebuild them. Once this was done (using
    the exact same settings, including virtual IP address, access permissions, etc,
    I was able to once again connect. So far I haven't had a problem with new
    connections (knock on wood).

    I still don't know why the problem occurred in the first place.

    ddong Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast