Professional Web Applications Themes

Contribute CS3 & Dreamweaver CS3 - Macromedia Contribute General Discussion

I do volunteer work for a pet rescue website. I started out editing their pages with Dreamweaver CS3. When the work load got out of control, one of the rescue members decided to help out by using Contribute CS3. After a few months, I noticed there was a lot of lag loading this one page we were both updating on a daily basis. In Dreamweaver, in design mode, the page appeared to be fine but when looking at the source code, there were thousands of empty lines that had been generating for who knows what reason. The amount of lines ...

  1. #1

    Default Contribute CS3 & Dreamweaver CS3

    I do volunteer work for a pet rescue website. I started out editing their pages
    with Dreamweaver CS3. When the work load got out of control, one of the rescue
    members decided to help out by using Contribute CS3. After a few months, I
    noticed there was a lot of lag loading this one page we were both updating on a
    daily basis.

    In Dreamweaver, in design mode, the page appeared to be fine but when looking
    at the source code, there were thousands of empty lines that had been
    generating for who knows what reason. The amount of lines was over 50K. I
    manually went in there and deleted all the empty lines and ended up with about
    600 lines total of code. Everything was back to normal and my helper continued
    using Contribute CS3 and I used DW, until a few days later when I noticed the
    blank lines were back. Not as many as there were before but they were certainly
    adding up and were definitely adding to the loading time.

    I did what I could to clean up the code and although there are some empty
    lines left at the top of the file, the rest of the file is ok now. I asked the
    Contribute helper to not make anymore updates for the time being. I haven't
    seen any more blank lines added since she stopped. So my best guess is that
    Contribute CS3 is causing all the problems.

    Is there something in Contribute CS3 publishing preferences that may be
    causing this problem? I couldn't find anything in the manuals except something
    about Line Breaks but that didn't have anything to do with the code. Could it
    also be a server problem? Not sure where I would begin looking. Any help would
    be appreciated.

    Here is a link to the file I am referring to:
    http://www.norcalgsprescue.com/adopt.shtml

    Thanks!

    mnkyt Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Contribute CS3 & Dreamweaver CS3

    I've had similar issues, but not to the extent you seem to be getting it. I
    know if you are using templates or server-side code, the lines that do not
    propagage to your web client are removed, but the source code lines are not
    collapsed...

    Anyway, when I had a similar problem, it would putting an extra line for each
    line in the html code... If you are on a Linux/Unix Web server... go to
    Administer Website...Edit Role Settings...Select the 'Editing' option on the
    left side of the panel... at the very bottom, make sure 'Line Break Type' is
    set to 'Unix (LF)'

    Hope that helps

    GarryCT Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks Garry for the insight. Unfortunately this site doesn't run on a
    Linux/Unix server. I asked our web admin and she says the site is running on
    Windows with Coldfusion. Maybe the same idea applies as far as line break type.
    I will have to coordinate something with my Contribute helper since she is in
    another state. I will try to walk her through the steps. I'll post here if we
    find an answer.

    mnkyt Guest