Professional Web Applications Themes

Contribute CS3 Requires Password - Macromedia Contribute General Discussion

I administer 30 or more websites. Have been working with Contribute since version 2. Never required that I type in a password to open up the program. Yesterday when I installed Contribute CS3, and opened it up, it required a password. I have no idea what it wants as I have never set a password. The program is now unusable to me. I sat on the phone for 6 1/2 hours yesterday with Adobe support waiting for someone to come on to help with this issue. My phone battery finally quit. Have also sent out a request for help on ...

  1. #1

    Default Contribute CS3 Requires Password

    I administer 30 or more websites. Have been working with Contribute since
    version 2. Never required that I type in a password to open up the program.
    Yesterday when I installed Contribute CS3, and opened it up, it required a
    password. I have no idea what it wants as I have never set a password. The
    program is now unusable to me.

    I sat on the phone for 6 1/2 hours yesterday with Adobe support waiting for
    someone to come on to help with this issue. My phone battery finally quit. Have
    also sent out a request for help on this issue. No response.

    I am getting a bit desperate as people are depending on me... does anyone have
    a solution to this?

    Marje Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Contribute CS3 Requires Startup Password

    Make sure it says "Enter Password, please enter your Contribute startup
    password try the following" If this is not the prompt you get, other prompts
    could be asking for CPS or your FTP login, so make sure the prompt is what you
    are getting before going any further into this registry fix. If you are not a
    local administrator on your computer you may not be able to make this fix.

    1. From the Run command, type in regedit to bring up the Registry

    2. Drill into the HKEY_CURRENT_USER >SOFTWARE >Contribute 4.1> Security
    Preferences.

    3. Now select this folder and go to File> Export > and name this file
    something like backupsecuritypref.reg

    4. Once the export is done, right click on the Security Preferences, check
    Permissions, make sure your user name is part of the security group. Highlight
    your user name and then verify that you have Full Control to the folder.

    5. Now double click on the blue key Always Prompt for StUpPWD, you'll see a
    value name Always Prompt for StUpPWD. Toggle the Base set to Decimal from
    Hexadecimal, and change the value data from 1 to 0 with the.

    6. Go to the next blue key, Require PWD, and do the same thing. Toggle the
    Base set to Decimal from Hexadecimal, and change the value data from 1 to 0.

    7. Try to open Contribute again, if it is not opening, try to import the
    backup file backupsecuritypref.reg via the registry.

    stockholmsyndrome Guest

  3. #3

    thank-you ... that is a huge help!
    Marje Guest