Professional Web Applications Themes

Contribute CS4 ignores template changes? - Macromedia Contribute General Discussion

First, I'm new to Contribute. I understand the general idea of what it does and how it works, but I'm clearly out of my element on how it works with template files. I'm setup as an administrator on a Contribute CS4 installation on WinXP. I can edit and publish pages with no problems. Except this: When I modify the template files for the site (obtained from the server, modified, and replaced on the server), the new modifications are not appearing in the newly-published pages. I've verified that I'm working on the correct template for the particular page, and I've even ...

  1. #1

    Default Contribute CS4 ignores template changes?

    First, I'm new to Contribute. I understand the general idea of what it does and
    how it works, but I'm clearly out of my element on how it works with template
    files.

    I'm setup as an administrator on a Contribute CS4 installation on WinXP. I can
    edit and publish pages with no problems.

    Except this: When I modify the template files for the site (obtained from the
    server, modified, and replaced on the server), the new modifications are not
    appearing in the newly-published pages. I've verified that I'm working on the
    correct template for the particular page, and I've even made sure to "refresh
    templates" a couple times in case that worked. I've even gone so far as to find
    the drafts of the pages I've been working on and make sure the templates stored
    on my hard drive are properly updated (they are).

    Am I wrong to expect Contribute to incorporate updates to the template file?
    Am I being a complete bonehead and missing something obvious (wouldn't be the
    first time)?

    Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

    MDM-GbP Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Contribute CS4 ignores template changes?

    To update pages in a website that is maintained with Contribute, you need
    Dreamweaver. The general idea that Adobe/Macromedia came up with, was a
    professional tool for the developers where you create template based websites
    and a much more simple tool for updating the content for non-tech users, called
    Contribute.
    If you do not have Dreamweaver, or no money to buy Dreamweaver, you can always
    download the intire website using a ftp-program and use a code-editor to find
    and replace in alle the pages the parts that you changed in the template.
    Creating new pages based on the new template will of course be no problem
    (don't forget to update the templates, when creating a new page).

    ThinkInk Guest

  3. #3

    I've just had to update 100+ template based pages on a Contribute site. I ended
    up having to use Dreamweaver exclusively for the change.

    Contribute does not seem to be "aware" of template updates when you update a
    template based page. When you edit a page based on a template that has changed,
    it doesn't apply the change or give you any means of applying the change.

    Also, when I attempted to use Modify-Templates-Update Current Page on a page
    in Dreamweaver using the File-Actions-Edit Page Source in External Application,
    Contribute went, well, berserk, acting like I wanted to change dozens of pages
    and files in the site. Lots of manual clean-up after that.

    So, I just used only Dreamweaver to update all the pages based on the
    template, as well as updating the template itself. It's possible to "break" a
    Dreamweaver template by updating the template with another editor.

    delaneypub Guest

  4. #4

    Thanks for the responses - very enlightening. I opted to go with downloading
    the site and using text editors (multi-file search/replace) to make the
    changes, and to update the template files.

    It seems like Contribute is really just a way to allow "business" people to
    modify a production site in a safe way, while the "tech" people maintain
    control over the touchier parts. I see the usefulness, although I think it was
    likely the wrong decision on the project I'm working on.

    Again, thanks for info.

    MDM-GbP Guest