Professional Web Applications Themes

Contribute CS4 Sloooooooooow - Macromedia Contribute General Discussion

I have tried installing, reinstalling on my computer, another computer etc. and nothing I do can solve my problem here: Contribute (for posting to a blog) is very, very slow. Backspacing to delete a word takes about a half second per key press. The same with typing, the response if very slow. I have opened a case on this, but Adobe is not responding. Their tech folks in India don't know anything about the product. CS3, on the other hand, does not exhibit this behavior. It is something in CS4. Short of a refund, what else can I do?...

  1. #1

    Default Contribute CS4 Sloooooooooow

    I have tried installing, reinstalling on my computer, another computer etc. and
    nothing I do can solve my problem here: Contribute (for posting to a blog) is
    very, very slow. Backspacing to delete a word takes about a half second per key
    press. The same with typing, the response if very slow. I have opened a case on
    this, but Adobe is not responding. Their tech folks in India don't know
    anything about the product. CS3, on the other hand, does not exhibit this
    behavior. It is something in CS4.

    Short of a refund, what else can I do?

    RiderAlberta Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Contribute CS4 Sloooooooooow

    It feels with the CS4 suite, (lots of weird crashes across all the apps) the early purchase discount incentive was a way of letting us pay for the privilege of Beta testing...
    Sirius7 Guest

  3. #3

    That's good to know as we were looking at purchasing it. Unfortunately, Adobe
    Tech support is among the least responsive I've experienced in decades of Mac
    applications, otherwise I wouldn't mind working through some of this stuff
    (that is, I'll have open cases sitting there for weeks. And phone support is
    somewhere in India where I either cannot understand the person, or they have
    zippo experience with the application).

    Right now, Contribute doesn't work at all. I get the spinning beach ball and
    nothing I do, including wiping it from the hardrive (prefs and all) and
    reinstalling, fixes it.

    I think I'm going to resign my beta testing position and ask for a refund
    (again).

    RiderAlberta Guest

  4. #4

    Same problem here-- Macbook Pro, 10.5.5, brand new system and fresh install of
    Contribute CS4. The beachball spins and spins when it gets to the Website
    Connection Assistant, and all I can do is force quit. Adobe, any answers to
    this? I've seen loads of users with the exact problem on other forums as well.

    Stewart Guest

  5. #5

    Try checking "Don't show this again" and make the home screen go away.
    It had improved the performance in the CS3 and the same trick may work here.

    sitedesign Guest

  6. #6

    Hi, thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, whenever I open CS4, I get a spinning
    beach ball and barely an opportunity to do anything. I tried clicking that box
    (in the opening window), but it did not want to select.... and then the program
    was consumed by the black hole beach ball.

    RiderAlberta Guest

  7. #7

    I don't know if it has anything to do with the solution to your specific
    spinning ball problem, but here my scenario's in which it shows up or not:

    Case 1:
    1. computer is connected to an ethernet switch
    2. ethernet switch is connected to modem/router
    3. modem/router has NO connection to outside line
    Result: spinning ball, no possibility to choose online or offline mode in
    Contribute, only solution is to close the program down, there is no start-up
    possible.

    Case 2:
    1. computer is connected to an ethernet switch
    2. ethernet switch is NOT connected to modem/router or the modem/router is off
    Result: spinning ball, no possibility to choose online or offline mode in
    Contribute, only solution is to close the program down, there is no start-up
    possible.

    Case 3:
    1. computer is directly connected to modem/router
    3. modem/router has NO connection to outside line
    Result: no spinning ball, and there is a possibility to choose online or
    offline mode in Contribute, start-up is possible.

    Case 4:
    1. computer is connected to an ethernet switch
    2. ethernet switch is connected to modem/router
    3. modem/router has a connection to outside line
    Result: no spinning ball, possibility to choose online or offline mode in
    Contribute, start-up possible.

    Case 5:
    1. computer is NOT connected to an ethernet switch
    1. computer is NOT connected to a modem/router
    Result: no spinning ball, possibility to choose online or offline mode in
    Contribute, start-up possible.

    Conclusion: This spinning ball problem has something to do with the way
    Contribute connects to Adobe online and gets problematic when it cannot
    connect, and the interpretation of when a connection is there or not. When the
    progam notices a connection to a LAN it does not give the option to work
    offline, but at the same time it can't connect to Adobe, cause there is no
    connection to the internet. This seems to be the cause off the programs problem
    to start up at all.

    ThinkInk Guest

  8. #8

    Here's what solved my problem: disable all but the system fonts. CS4 starts
    right up without a hitch. I've added back slowly the fonts that I need. I'm
    sure I'll eventually hit on the one that is making it act up.

    I'm brand new to OSX, but I guess I need to remember that a lot of application
    weirdness on OSX is actually font-related. For some reason, I don't recall ever
    having this sort of thing on the Windows side.

    Stewart Guest

  9. #9

    Some interesting responses here! Definitely, there is a connection with the
    internet. I want to note that I had no spinning ball when I first installed
    CS4, and that it only started recently.

    The slow response, however, has always been an issue. CS3, on the other hand,
    has none of these issues.

    RiderAlberta Guest

  10. #10

    Hi All,
    There was a recent release of Safari on 26th Nov 2008 [Version 3.2.1] and
    Contribute seems to have the issue with the same i.e. taking a longer time to
    come up when the user launches it. We are investigating the issue, meanwhile
    following is the workaround and we will post more info as and when we find more
    details.

    Workaround:
    ? Launch Contribute without any Network i.e. no LAN connection and Wireless
    disabled
    ? Click on the "Don't show again" check box at the Contribute start page.
    ? Enable the network and re-start Contribute, it will come up showing the
    index page of the connection instead of your start page.
    ? In case you want to go the start page anytime please click "Contribute start
    page" icon on the top right hand side.

    Thanks,
    Manoj
    [Contribute Team]

    m Guest

  11. #11

    Thanks Mano. This does solve the spinning beach ball issue. But it doesn't
    solve why Contribute CS4 is so slow in type response compared to CS3. Try this:

    Type a sentence in CS4 and then backspace (delete) it all the way to the first
    character. Then do the same in CS3. You'll notice that there is a greater lag
    time in CS4 in both typing and deleting compared to CS3. When you use
    Contribute for typing articles for a blog, this becomes a noticeable and
    annoying delay .

    RiderAlberta Guest

  12. #12

    I have the same problem. Running Intel based iMac 24 with Mac OS X 10.5.5 and
    CS4 v 4.1 unusable, crashes, fails to connect to our web site.

    This is the first time in 5 years of using Apple and Adobe software that we
    have experienced this. ** It feels like using Microsoft Windows ** on Windows
    about once per month we had a problem with the OS or an application. On the
    Apple platform we usually experience few problems. However this OS update
    combined with Adobe CS4 feels like a mysterious, unsupported problem that no
    one wants to fix. Adobe and Apple need to be open about this and fix it
    quick! We switched away from Windows because of issues like this - hoping
    there is a clear, transparent remedy soon.

    marrigo Guest

  13. #13

    RiderAlberta wrote:

    [Q]The slow response, however, has always been an issue. CS3, on the other
    hand, has none of these issues.[/Q]

    Actually, Contribute CS3 DOES have these very same issues. I've got another
    thread on the forum, AND a paid support case open on this. As you said, CS3
    "was" working fine for me until just about a week ago.

    M Gupta/Manoj wrote:

    [Q]Contribute seems to have the issue with the same i.e. taking a longer time
    to come up when the user launches it. We are investigating the issue, meanwhile
    following is the workaround and we will post more info as and when we find more
    details.[/Q]

    Fabulous! Your CS3 people are impacted also - I hope that information helps
    you find the problem!

    Glen

    glenbarney1 Guest

  14. #14

    Wow... so it's right across the board. Well, I hope Adobe reads my post here.
    I'm not just talking about slow startup (or none at all), but also about slow
    type response. It takes nearly twice as long for a word to display as it does
    with me typing you now. Is this is also what you're experiencing, Glen?

    RiderAlberta Guest

  15. #15

    I will join the beachball club. I got iot as soon as I opened Contribute CS3 on
    my Powemac G5 Quad x 2.5 w/8GB Ram. I tried checking "Don't show this again" to
    make the home screen go away, but the ball never stopped spinning. I tried
    disabling all but the system fonts, which bought me enough time to check "Don't
    show this again" and make the home screen go away. Great! However, once I got a
    page loaded and tried to admister a site, the program slowed to its
    unresponsive state again.

    jpeth Guest

  16. #16

    Hi All,
    For the workaround please refer the tech note at http://www.adobe.com/go/kb408112

    Thanks,
    Manoj
    m Guest

  17. #17

    I had a client download Contribute CS4, and since it's unbearably slow..
    there's no way I can convince them to purchase..

    great, now the trial download effectively dissuades potential customers.. is
    this the way it's supposed to work?

    think4d Guest

  18. #18

    Yes, I've requested a refund because this program is sooooooooo slooooooooooow.

    Amazing that Adobe is sooooooooooo sloooooooooooow to fix it.
    exercise12 Guest

  19. #19

    I too am having awful problems with Contribute CS4 V5. I cannot install it
    correctly on my new Imac. It cannot find the browse:startpage. When and if it
    eventually links to my site it then creates a lock file, which I have to
    manually delete using Fetch.
    I have successfully installed it on my macbook air but it runs so slowly as to
    be almost useless. It appears to be 'not responding' for long periods. I too
    have flash on my site which appears to be one of the problems. It does work
    (again too slowly) if I edit in Firefox.
    I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling on the imac with no luck at all.
    Are there hidden files that the install does not remove?
    Any suggestions welcome.

    SimonEdkins Guest

  20. #20

    I tried un-installing Flash player and slowness goes away, please try the same.
    sitedesign Guest

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast