Professional Web Applications Themes

Contribute is auto creating drafts for every file in theentire site - Macromedia Contribute General Discussion

I'm having a serious problem with one of my users (and actually, now on my computer) for one specific site she works on. Every time she goes to edit a page, then clicks the Publish button (and she is clicking publish, not send for review), she gets a pile of windows popping up telling her "The server already has a file named blah.blah What would you like to do?" The options are to replace it with her version or to publish with a similar file name. It asks this same question for every file that has any sort of link ...

  1. #1

    Default Contribute is auto creating drafts for every file in theentire site

    I'm having a serious problem with one of my users (and actually, now on my
    computer) for one specific site she works on. Every time she goes to edit a
    page, then clicks the Publish button (and she is clicking publish, not send for
    review), she gets a pile of windows popping up telling her "The server already
    has a file named blah.blah What would you like to do?" The options are to
    replace it with her version or to publish with a similar file name. It asks
    this same question for every file that has any sort of link on the page you're
    publishing, every image file, every .css, every html or cfm file that has a
    link on that page. On -my- machine, just a short bit ago, it started asking me
    this question for EVERY SINGLE FILE IN THE WEBSITE, not just ones that were
    somehow attached to the file I was publishing.

    If we manage to get through all these file replacement questions so that the
    page actually publishes, suddenly every file we got asked about has been opened
    as a draft in Contribute, and shows up in the draft console. Now, in my
    contribute, we're talking about hundreds of files. All of them have to be
    cancelled out manually, and it takes upwards of two full minutes for each
    cancellation to happen.

    This particular connection never used to do this. It was created initially
    well over a year ago, and worked just fine until we got a new computer for our
    employee, and that required a fresh install of Contribute. After that was
    installed, we used the same connection key that we'd created over a year go to
    recreate the connection, and this is what started happening.

    I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling her entire system from a fresh image,
    with a totally fresh Contribute installation. I've recreated the key (with the
    effect that this now does the same thing on MY computer, where it wasn't doing
    that before) because the connection key got munged because I'd tried going in
    to the _mm directory and removing locks, etc. to try and free up all those
    files and get rid of all the drafts (clearly I munged something up in the
    process).

    This has an employee whose entire job centers around editing a very busy web
    site completely dead in the water and I'm finding nothing in the knowlegebase
    that touches on this behaviour at all. I'm completely stumped.

    We have other websites in other offices using Contribute with other connection
    keys and other computers that are not having this problem on their sites.

    Please, oh please, someone tell me you know what to do here. :)

    Ms. Perricone Guest

  2. #2

    Have you checked with you ISP, if they changed anything on the server?

    Maybe if you made a mess of the admin _mm, you should just back up the entire
    site and then remove the administration of the website and the connection to it
    and start with a whole new administration.

    First I would check out this:
    1. [url]http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=4e3908fe[/url]
    2. [url]http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=tn_19297&sliceId=1[/url]

    ThinkInk Guest

  3. #3

    Ok, this was weird and hard to track down, but I think I got it settled.
    Getting rid of all the .csi stuff and admin stuff and recreating the
    connections didn't help. A little further exploration, testing, resetting
    things to ground zero a million times revealed that it was editing a particular
    file that was causing the problem. I could edit other pages on the site
    without it happening, but the minute I did anything with that file, it started
    doing that again with everything.

    I opened up the offending file in Dreamweaver and found a bunch of really bad
    tag references to things like "file:///wombat$/tickle/snafu.cfm" Sometimes
    with lots more // after file:. I went in and cleared every bad reference like
    that up, and now it all works just fine on my computer. Next step is to get it
    working on my employee's computer. This problem jumped to another site, BTW,
    and I found the same issues with the files that were being edited there, too.
    Hopefully this will resolve it all. :)

    Thanks for helping me figure out at least how to reset everything so I could
    do enough testing to find the root issue!

    Ms. Perricone Guest

  4. #4

    Glad you found the solution. Did you safe the code that was causing this pecific trouble? Would you be wiling to post that code? And do you know what caused this code to be present in the file?
    ThinkInk Guest

  5. #5

    There were many different a href and img tags that contained references like
    that in my code example. When I stripped those out so that the files were being
    referred to in proper code, the problem went away.

    There were many references that looked like this:

    <a
    href="file:////servername/rootdirectoryname/foldername/RachaelsTriptoSouthernVer
    mont.cfm">

    Instead of looking like this:

    Ms. Perricone Guest

  6. #6

    This recent post was also about getting these file-urls in Contribute. Trouble
    seemed to be in the filenames.

    [url]http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/messageview.cfm?forumid=55&catid=29[/url]
    0&threadid=1383274&highlight_key=y&keyword1=imag e

    ThinkInk Guest