Professional Web Applications Themes

Contribute licences - Macromedia Contribute General Discussion

Hi, We are looking at purchasing Contribute 3. All our sites are designed in Dreamweaver MX and we want to be able to allow clients to access their websites externally and edit the text. The question is:- Can I buy one version of Contribute and install it on my machine and set up users to edit the pages. The user can then log on to contribute from their location and edit the pages. Do they need Contribute insatlled on their computer to do this?...

  1. #1

    Default Contribute licences

    Hi, We are looking at purchasing Contribute 3. All our sites are designed in
    Dreamweaver MX and we want to be able to allow clients to access their websites
    externally and edit the text. The question is:- Can I buy one version of
    Contribute and install it on my machine and set up users to edit the pages.
    The user can then log on to contribute from their location and edit the pages.
    Do they need Contribute insatlled on their computer to do this?

    swheller Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Contribute licences

    swheller wrote:
    > Hi, We are looking at purchasing Contribute 3. All our sites are designed in
    > Dreamweaver MX and we want to be able to allow clients to access their websites
    > externally and edit the text. The question is:- Can I buy one version of
    > Contribute and install it on my machine and set up users to edit the pages.
    > The user can then log on to contribute from their location and edit the pages.
    > Do they need Contribute insatlled on their computer to do this?

    Each user of Contribute needs to have the software installed on their
    computer. It's a desktop application that they'll need to have on their
    local machine in order to use it.

    Matt

    --
    Matt Woodward
    Team Macromedia - ColdFusion

  3. #3

    Matt, Please can you explain how I set clients up with access to their
    website. When they install contribute, can't they just go and enter admin
    settings to access their website and then edit what they want and change any
    settings? Do I get the full version and they get version with limitations?
    Sorry if it's a silly question. I've looked through all the help files, but it
    explains how to set users up with usernames and passwords, but not what we need
    to do at their end to get it working. Do we purchase 2 licences - One to
    install it on my computer and a licence to install it on theirs? Steve

    swheller Guest

  4. #4

    Hi,
    A typical situation is that you, the developer, has Contribute installed on
    your machine.
    One license.
    You set up contribute (on your machine) to connect to the clients website
    and make yourself the administrator with complete rights to all the site.
    You then create a user (your client) and you determine what folders they
    have access to and a range of other rights.
    You create a 'connection key ' for that user which contains encrypted ftp
    info and the users rights. You email this to your client.
    Your client installs Contribute on their machine. (2nd License)
    They collect the connection key from the email you sent (it comes as an
    attached exe file) and run it.
    Itr starts Contribute and allows them to access their site.
    But *only* with the permissions you created for them.

    There are other permutations of that but as of this moment I have lost the
    will to live :)

    HTH

    lawire
    "swheller" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    : Matt, Please can you explain how I set clients up with access to their
    : website. When they install contribute, can't they just go and enter admin
    : settings to access their website and then edit what they want and change
    any
    : settings? Do I get the full version and they get version with limitations?
    : Sorry if it's a silly question. I've looked through all the help files,
    but it
    : explains how to set users up with usernames and passwords, but not what we
    need
    : to do at their end to get it working. Do we purchase 2 licences - One to
    : install it on my computer and a licence to install it on theirs? Steve
    :

    lawrie Guest