Professional Web Applications Themes

Contribute questions - Macromedia Contribute General Discussion

Yup, I have two questions... One: Can Contribute2 and Contribute3 co-exist? I have a group of ten clients using Contribute2, but would like to move other clients to Contribute3. Can I operate both on my WinPC? Can I use Contribute3 to work on sites where Contribute2 users may follow me in making changes? Two: Contribute2, now and then, sometimes disables connections because of "an unknown error." I'm not sure what the error is 'cause I can FTP to these sites and tracert shows no connection problems. Does Contribute3 also have this problem? Oops, that's really more than two questions... Art...

  1. #1

    Default Contribute questions

    Yup, I have two questions...

    One: Can Contribute2 and Contribute3 co-exist? I have a group of ten
    clients using Contribute2, but would like to move other clients to
    Contribute3. Can I operate both on my WinPC? Can I use Contribute3 to
    work on sites where Contribute2 users may follow me in making changes?

    Two: Contribute2, now and then, sometimes disables connections because
    of "an unknown error." I'm not sure what the error is 'cause I can FTP
    to these sites and tracert shows no connection problems. Does
    Contribute3 also have this problem?

    Oops, that's really more than two questions...
    Art
    Art Shotwell Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Contribute questions

    [url]http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_19497[/url]

    --
    Regards

    John Waller

    John Waller Guest

  3. #3

    John Waller wrote:
    > [url]http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_19497[/url]

    Thanks, that helps. Art
    Art Shotwell Guest

  4. #4

    Our firm recently purchase Contribute 3, I have some specific questions on my
    role as administrator.
    We design and host sites for many different companies. Some would like to
    update their own sites. We have them set up with FTP access to their sites
    hosted on our server. The doentation included with Contribute deals most
    with intranet. I'm having a difficult time finding enough information for our
    clients to begin using Contribute. It is extremely easy to use the program, but
    administating multiple websites and setting up access to external companies
    seems to be more complex, should I set up Contribute for our server? I've only
    read through half of the doentation, but my clients would like to begin
    doing all their own updates immediately.

    terryble1 Guest

  5. #5

    Hi all, hoping for a few answers as just got Contribute

    Never used this before but have it set up on my computer and just bought
    another copy for a client
    Does the client, after install, set himself up as Administrator and i set him
    up on my Contribute as a Publisher?

    And also, is there a cheaper way to buy these, as i build websites, it seems i
    have to buy a new copy of Contribute for each new website client?

    Thanks for any advice

    Cass

    castleweb Guest

  6. #6

    If you are already an administrator for the site you should create a connection
    key for the client and send it to them. It is up to you if you want them to be
    a Publisher or Administrator for that site. Once the client has installed the
    connection key it will show up on your contributes administration screen.

    As for the copies of contribute, my understanding is that every one making
    changes to the site needs to have a copy of contribute. But each copy can have
    multiple sites set up.

    dmuniz Guest

  7. #7

    I'm pretty sure you can just but the Contribute licenses instead on the whole Contribute package and just use the Contribute Installer you already have
    christina_nz Guest

  8. #8

    Hi there.

    I have been looking into Contribute the past few days as one of our clients is
    adament that it is the way forward.

    I have download the trial to see what it can do and for the most part I am
    very impressed. Now, here in lies the problem. We generally make our websites
    in PHP. They are usually class based, aka very modular, and run using a MySQL
    database with a custom template system we created.

    Now, I have 2 main questions here,

    a) Can you integrate PHP and MySQL editing into Contribute? In detail, is
    there anyway for me to integrate the kind of website we build into Contribute?
    Or does Contribute only edit HTML files? Whenever I link Contribute to one of
    your websites, the page just appears blank on editing.

    b) Should we even bother with Contribute? Our CMS is custom built and doesn't
    have any cluttered code within it and works exactly how we want it to. More
    importanly, we have had a lot of very good feedback from clients telling us it
    is easy to use.

    Our new client is quite big and is sold on the idea of Contribute for many of
    is advanced admin features like sending pages for review. We have to make a
    presentation and I just more information on this specific topic as I can't
    really find anything on this matter.

    Thank you.

    Sekka Guest

  9. #9

    "Sekka" wrote: Hi there.
    :
[...]

    Contribute cannot edit php.
    :
    : b) Should we even bother with Contribute? Our CMS is custom built and
    doesn't
    : have any cluttered code within it and works exactly how we want it to.
    More
    : importanly, we have had a lot of very good feedback from clients telling
    us it
    : is easy to use.

    Contribute is an excellent cms that has a wide range features. I use it on
    a few sites but intermittent problems ( & poor support) have led me to
    develop my own cms.

    : Our new client is quite big and is sold on the idea of Contribute for
    many of
    : is advanced admin features like sending pages for review. We have to make
    : presentation and I just more information on this specific topic as I can't
    : really find anything on this matter.

    look around this forum and make up your own mind :)

    good luck

    joe Guest

  10. #10

    I'd say, go with one or the other. One thing that you DON'T want to do is go
    with Contribute AND another CMS. And in my experience, a crucial factor in
    getting a CMS solution to work in a company is the willingness and ability for
    non-technical staff, especially them baby-boomer types that have all the power,
    to learn new software. The question is , can you teach those old dogs, yet
    another new trick?
    If yes, then do a further cost-benifit ysis on cms 1 vs. cms 2.

    UMDchristian Guest

  11. #11

    Q1) I have designed a website and I want another person to be able to edit only
    certain parts of pages. I am on a mac and they are on a Windows machine will
    they be able to do this if I am on mac and they are on PC (windows)?

    Q2) I am using Dreamweaver now but I have a site created in GoLive CS. Will
    contribute work with GoLive CS?

    Q3) In a nutshell what are the steps to adding contribute to a website? I am
    doing this as a favor and don't have a lot of time to learn Contribute. Is it
    very easy to set up?

    Q4) I have read on this forum that Contribute adds some extra lines of code to
    a website which slows the site down is this true and has it been fixed?

    Thanks

    Comp. Guest

  12. #12

    Q1) I have designed a website and I want another person to be able to edit only
    certain parts of pages. I am on a mac and they are on a Windows machine will
    they be able to do this if I am on mac and they are on PC (windows)?
    Ans: You can create template with editable regions using Dreamweaver. So when
    you create pages out of that templates in Contribute the user will be able to
    play only on the editable region.

    Q2) I am using Dreamweaver now but I have a site created in GoLive CS. Will
    contribute work with GoLive CS?
    Ans:Yes, you can edit the pages created in the GoLive.

    Q3) In a nutshell what are the steps to adding contribute to a website? I am
    doing this as a favor and don't have a lot of time to learn Contribute. Is it
    very easy to set up?
    Ans: Yes it is very easy to create a website connection in Contribute. Here is
    the link how to create a connection to a website,
    http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Contribute/5.0_Using/WS5b3ccc516d4fbf351e63e3d1180fb
    a3730-7ff4.html

    Q4) I have read on this forum that Contribute adds some extra lines of code to
    a website which slows the site down is this true and has it been fixed?
    Ans: This is not true. No extra blank lines are added.

    Dominic Guest