Professional Web Applications Themes

Contribute rewriting image links - Macromedia Contribute General Discussion

Many pages on my site have includes on them. When editing one of these includes, I need to insert images. The path to the image needs to be valid relative to the page that loads the include rather than the include file, for it to show up in the browser. Obviously, just browsing to the image when inserting it on the include page will give the path relative to the include. To fix that, I manually type what the path should be in the image properties. But Contribute thinks it's smarter than me, and rewrites the path. For instance, I ...

  1. #1

    Default Contribute rewriting image links

    Many pages on my site have includes on them. When editing one of these
    includes, I need to insert images. The path to the image needs to be valid
    relative to the page that loads the include rather than the include file, for
    it to show up in the browser. Obviously, just browsing to the image when
    inserting it on the include page will give the path relative to the include. To
    fix that, I manually type what the path should be in the image properties. But
    Contribute thinks it's smarter than me, and rewrites the path. For instance, I
    type in /11k/images/icon/whatsnew.gif and Contribute changes it to
    .../../images/icon/whatsnew.gif. I can get it to maintain the path if I put in
    images/icon/whatsnew.gif, which will work when the include is used at one level
    in the site, but not when it is used at others.

    Is there any possible way within Contribute to make the image path be what I
    need it to be?

    abna Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Contribute rewriting image links

    It looks like the updated to contribute 3 has the facilities do post a file
    outside of the normal publish model. But, your permissions would need to
    allow this.

    "abna" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > Many pages on my site have includes on them. When editing one of these
    > includes, I need to insert images. The path to the image needs to be valid
    > relative to the page that loads the include rather than the include file,
    for
    > it to show up in the browser. Obviously, just browsing to the image when
    > inserting it on the include page will give the path relative to the
    include. To
    > fix that, I manually type what the path should be in the image properties.
    But
    > Contribute thinks it's smarter than me, and rewrites the path. For
    instance, I
    > type in /11k/images/icon/whatsnew.gif and Contribute changes it to
    > ../../images/icon/whatsnew.gif. I can get it to maintain the path if I put
    in
    > images/icon/whatsnew.gif, which will work when the include is used at one
    level
    > in the site, but not when it is used at others.
    >
    > Is there any possible way within Contribute to make the image path be
    what I
    > need it to be?

    David Burley Guest

  3. #3

    Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
    It looks like the updated to contribute 3 has the facilities do post a file
    outside of the normal publish model. But, your permissions would need to
    allow this.

    I have the newest version of Contribute and I am the administrator, so I can
    set any permissions I need. But I need to know exactly how to make this work.

    abna Guest

  4. #4

    I have the same issue, with links and images in include files. The only way I
    can get around it is to force Contribute to make the link site relative. I do
    this by publishing the file, then re-editing and going to link properties, in
    the 'href' box, forcing it to /directory/*.*

    Drives me nuts, and makes it difficult to Show that to the many page authors I
    have. They don't all necessarily understand relative and absolute linking.

    HalifaxWM Guest

  5. #5

    This is not the best option but you might define the links as absolute...

    [url]www.mysite.com/images/my_image.jpg[/url]

    ...and not define things as site root (/images/my_images.jpg) or doent
    relative (../../images/my_image.jpg)

    I too have seen this from time to time but have not issolated the exact
    details. If anyone does, thay may want to report it to Macromedia/Adobe support.

    jnosal3 Guest

  6. #6

    Originally posted by: jnosal3
    This is not the best option but you might define the links as absolute...

    [url]www.mysite.com/images/my_image.jpg[/url]

    ...and not define things as site root (/images/my_images.jpg) or doent
    relative (../../images/my_image.jpg)

    I too have seen this from time to time but have not issolated the exact
    details. If anyone does, thay may want to report it to Macromedia/Adobe support.

    That solution wouldn't work out in my case, because we have a development
    server and a production server. If I set the links to all point to the
    production server, we won't be able to test the pages on development.

    abna Guest

  7. #7

    On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 17:13:23 +0000 (UTC), "abna"
    <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote:
    >Many pages on my site have includes on them. When editing one of these
    >includes, I need to insert images. The path to the image needs to be valid
    >relative to the page that loads the include rather than the include file, for
    >it to show up in the browser. Obviously, just browsing to the image when
    >inserting it on the include page will give the path relative to the include. To
    >fix that, I manually type what the path should be in the image properties. But
    >Contribute thinks it's smarter than me, and rewrites the path. For instance, I
    >type in /11k/images/icon/whatsnew.gif and Contribute changes it to
    >../../images/icon/whatsnew.gif. I can get it to maintain the path if I put in
    >images/icon/whatsnew.gif, which will work when the include is used at one level
    >in the site, but not when it is used at others.
    >
    > Is there any possible way within Contribute to make the image path be what I
    >need it to be?
    Did you try prefacing the path with /? It's worth a try.
    Jerry McEwen Guest

  8. #8

    Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
    On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 17:13:23 +0000 (UTC), "abna"
    <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote:

    Did you try prefacing the path with /? It's worth a try.

    Yes, as I stated in the post, the very first thing I tried was