Professional Web Applications Themes

Contribute start up time - Macromedia Contribute General Discussion

How long should I expect to wait for this to start up? All my other CS4 web premium apps load very quickly on my iMac 2.8GHz with 4GB RAM & over 400GB of free HDD space. I contacted Adobe tech about this & was referred to a KB article (http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb405712&sliceId=2). I have been through everything except formatting my drive as all my other apps are working without issue & it seems a huge chore for one app that is not playing properly! When I load Contribute, I get the spinning beach ball for around 3-4 minutes & if I go ...

  1. #1

    Default Contribute start up time

    How long should I expect to wait for this to start up? All my other CS4 web
    premium apps load very quickly on my iMac 2.8GHz with 4GB RAM & over 400GB of
    free HDD space.

    I contacted Adobe tech about this & was referred to a KB article
    (http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb405712&sliceId=2).
    I have been through everything except formatting my drive as all my other apps
    are working without issue & it seems a huge chore for one app that is not
    playing properly!

    When I load Contribute, I get the spinning beach ball for around 3-4 minutes &
    if I go to the app in the dock, right-clicking shows I can force quit.
    Application not responding is greyed out. Then, the status changes so I can
    quit, but the program is moving grindingly slowly...

    Any help, suggestions or comments appreciated.

    Sirius7 Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Contribute start up time

    I'm having the same problem here, a spinning beach ball that stops for about 2
    seconds, then comes back, and keeps cycling this way.

    Something's changed because it wasn't doing this before. I've tried
    uninstalling, reinstalling, deleting prefs etc. Nothing works.

    RiderAlberta Guest

  3. #3

    That's exactly what mine does - stops spinning, pause time during which I can't
    click anything, then the beach ball comes back!

    I have contacted Adobe about this but would appreciate it if you could let
    them know too.

    Sirius7 Guest

  4. #4

    I'm running into the same issue on a new install v5.0. An endless spinning ball
    on what was supposed to be the first startup. I can't command, can't get to the
    Tour or Tutorial, can't Command anything. Can't even Quit without using either
    Activity Manager or the Dock shortcut. All I get is a frozen Startup screen.

    I've used the Adobe Support Advisor, repaired permissions, run tail,
    rebooted, removed and reinstalled. All this on a MacBook Pro, running 10.5.5.

    Nothing. Nada.

    Now I remember why I stopped using v3.

    Any suggestions, either on a fix or a replacement application?

    Bob Guest

  5. #5

    Aha!

    When I installed Ct4, v5, it replaced an earlier trial version of Ct3. On the
    initial startup of v5, it went looking for a connection to a website that no
    longer exists. Endless search, spinning ball, frozen startup window.

    Finally, after 4 hours and all the steps reported earlier, I turned off my
    WiFi to disconnect from the Internet. With that, Contribute started as it
    should, noting the disconnected status but allowing me full use of the program
    (at least to the limits imposed by being disconnected.) So, I set "My
    Connections" to ignore the dead site, reset Airport to On, successfully
    connected to a good site, quit Ct4 and then restarted Ct4.

    Success.

    Bob Guest

  6. #6

    I downloaded the CS4 trial for Windows on my VMWare Fusion installation under
    WinXP.

    This runs perfectly...

    I'll try disconnecting wifi later & let you know. I too had a previous CS3
    trial I had on OSX, maybe Adobe have some way of checking & clearing this off
    our systems along with the CS4 installation if that was the issue.

    Thanks Bob.

    Sirius7 Guest

  7. #7

    Well, disconnecting my wifi lets Contribute open instantly. All the menus are
    immediately available & working although I obviously can't set up a new
    connection.

    Restarting wifi put Contribute back in unusable mode again...

    Sirius7 Guest

  8. #8

    Sirius -- That's progress. In my case it wasn't the connection that was the
    underlying cause. It was the attempt to connect to a bad (no longer existent)
    site.

    Suggestion, restart Ct with your Internet connection disconnected. Once you
    have Contribute actually up and running, go into "Home Pages" in the upper menu
    bar. Select the Adobe demonstration site; in my case it is "tutorial website.'
    select that. Shut Contribute down.

    Restart Ct, still without an Internet connection. When it opens, see that it
    does in fact open to the tutorial site.

    If it does, open your Internet connection and, if you have one, attempt to
    connect to a working site. It should work. More importantly, it should continue
    to work and to startup AS LONG AS it is looking at a good site, one that it can
    find.

    The symptoms that you and I have had so much trouble with are the result of
    Contribute endlessly looking for a site that it cannot find or use. Once that
    issue is taken care of, it should startup normally.

    Of course, it'd be nice if it let you know...

    Bob Guest

  9. #9

    Hi Bob

    Thanks for the help - when I am disconnected, I am unable to set up a new
    connection as it can't test the ftp.

    My Home pages button is greyed out & in the View menu > Home pages I have no
    home pages.

    I can't find the tutorial site you mention listed, although using spotlight I
    can see a tutorialWelcome.htm file in my Ct folder. However, I can't use the Ct
    Browse... button to access this, only the file > open option & then I can't set
    it up as a site!

    I have several website addresses I can use if only I could get it to start up
    properly!

    Sirius7 Guest

  10. #10

    When disconnected, can you click on "Contribute Tutorial" in the Help Menu at
    the very top of your Desktop?

    Doing so should get you into the tutorial in the sideview panel.

    If you get that far, click on the first item up "connect to a website"

    Then, in the second to last paragraph is a hot link "click this link" to the
    tutorial website.

    If you get that far, where it opens a new page "Welcome to the Contribute
    Tutorial"

    That should allow you to set that site as your Home Page.

    Then, resume in my earlier post.

    Bob Guest

  11. #11

    Thanks Bob,

    I've gone through all the steps you mentioned & after seeing Ct working with
    the tutorial site, noted that it was added to my Home Page button.

    I closed Ct, opened it to check again & sure enough was able to click the
    tutorial website listed on the splash page to open it.

    I closed Ct & reconnected my wifi...

    Taa Daah!

    Exactly the same - spinning beach ball. I don't know what the issue is, but
    after several restarts, force quits & system restarts I am finally able to
    create a connection to one of my own websites. The sluggish performance is
    still a real issue & it must be due to something being stored in my system
    files somewhere.

    My trial installation on winxp is still running properly!

    Sirius7 Guest

  12. #12

    tried checking "Don't show this again" and make the home screen go away.
    sitedesign Guest

  13. #13

    I don't know if it has anything to do with the solution to your specific start
    up problem, but here are my scenario's in which it shows up or not:

    Case 1:
    1. computer is connected to an ethernet switch
    2. ethernet switch is connected to modem/router
    3. modem/router has NO connection to outside line
    Result: spinning ball, no possibility to choose online or offline mode in
    Contribute, only solution is to
    close the program down, there is no start-up possible.

    Case 2:
    1. computer is connected to an ethernet switch
    2. ethernet switch is NOT connected to modem/router or the modem/router is off
    Result: spinning ball, no possibility to choose online or offline mode in
    Contribute, only solution is to
    close the program down, there is no start-up possible.

    Case 3:
    1. computer is directly connected to modem/router
    3. modem/router has NO connection to outside line
    Result: no spinning ball, and there is a possibility to choose online or
    offline mode in Contribute,
    start-up is possible.

    Case 4:
    1. computer is connected to an ethernet switch
    2. ethernet switch is connected to modem/router
    3. modem/router has a connection to outside line
    Result: no spinning ball, possibility to choose online or offline mode in
    Contribute, start-up possible.

    Case 5:
    1. computer is NOT connected to an ethernet switch
    1. computer is NOT connected to a modem/router
    Result: no spinning ball, possibility to choose online or offline mode in
    Contribute, start-up possible.

    Conclusion: This spinning ball problem has something to do with the way
    Contribute connects to Adobe
    online and gets problematic when it cannot connect, and the interpretation of
    when a connection is there
    or not. When the progam notices a connection to a LAN it does not give the
    option to work offline, but at
    the same time it can't connect to Adobe, cause there is no connection to the
    internet. This seems to be
    the cause off the programs problem to start up at all.

    ThinkInk Guest

  14. #14

    ThinkInk

    Thank you for taking the time to post such a comprehensive breakdown of the
    potential issues. Your conclusion is absolutely correct in that it has
    something to do with the Adobe service - I have no fault with my Internet
    connection nor my network, being able to access files to & from my iMac to my
    Powerbook.

    I did discover however, that when the Adobe updater kicked in, the 5 latest
    updates to my CS4 software were downloaded but installation failed on ALL of
    them.

    I had gone from CS3 Design Premium to CS4 Web Premium, having downloaded &
    used previous trials & betas of Contribute CS3 & Fireworks CS4. Something,
    somewhere in this changing of software had caused a problem that no amount of
    uninstalling & reinstalling could fix. All my attempts at trashing & rebuilding
    prefs solved nothing, so in a last ditch attempt to resolve this, I decided to
    erase & reinstall Leopard. I know this was an extreme measure, but the failure
    of the Adobe updates concerned me & with the system backed up by Time Machine I
    felt it would be the best thing all round. (I'm a self-employed designer & need
    a reliable system to earn a living!)

    Well, after a whole day of rebuilding everything - I did not use Time Machine
    to restore my system as I didn't want to have my cloned & faulty system
    restored, just the files, I'm back. Guess what...

    Everything works including Contribute CS4!

    Thank you everyone for your help & advice. I'm still waiting for Adobe to
    respond & believe the issues were caused solely by the installers not doing a
    proper clean up, so Adobe - please take note.

    Sirius7 Guest

  15. #15

    Hi All,
    There was a recent release of Safari on 26th Nov 2008 [Version 3.2.1] and
    Contribute seems to have the issue with the same i.e. taking a longer time to
    come up when the user launches it. We are investigating the issue, meanwhile
    following is the workaround and we will post more info as and when we find more
    details.

    Workaround:
    ? Launch Contribute without any Network i.e. no LAN connection and Wireless
    disabled
    ? Click on the "Don't show again" check box at the Contribute start page.
    ? Enable the network and re-start Contribute, it will come up showing the
    index page of the connection instead of your start page.
    ? In case you want to go the start page anytime please click "Contribute start
    page" icon on the top right hand side.

    Thanks,
    Manoj
    [Contribute Team]

    m Guest

  16. #16

    m gupta

    The same symptoms and solution apply to Firefox 3.0.4 so it's a wider issue than just Safari.
    Bob Guest

  17. #17

    Bob...

    Contribute is an oxymoron. I get it now!

    Actually, since my clean install, I have Firefox 3.0.4 & Safari 3.1.2 running
    under OSX 10.5.5 & Ct works. I installed my browsers BEFORE Ct was added.

    I only put it on my system so I could provide support to my clients when
    making changes to their own sites. The program has turned out to be a very
    costly installation for me in downtime.
    Still nothing from Adobe...

    Sirius7 Guest

  18. #18

    This evening I installed the Safari 3.2.1 update...

    Contribute has reverted to being the digital equivalent of a sloth.
    Sirius7 Guest

  19. #19

    Sirius 7

    Sloth, slug.

    Pour some salt on it and go have a margarita...
    I just hear back from Adobe Support today after sending them an urgent message
    on this on Sunday. They were of the opinion that the issue is probably a
    conflict with something else, or a OS system error.

    They directed me to a from 24-item checklist to resolve system errors.

    So, three days into an urgent problem, misdirection. Almost as though they
    didn't read my issue description.

    Jeez. I think I'll save a little salt for the rim of the glass and then toast
    Adobe. As in, toast... like bread.

    Bob Guest

  20. #20

    Just bought Contribute CS4 for Mac--what a disaster. Endless beach ball. The
    app is using 85-95% of my processor and ultimately goes "Not Responding." 3
    calls to Adobe were a waste of time. Initially, they blamed my machine, then
    told me to "Run in Rosetta," now say I need to wait 1-2 days for follow-up from
    a senior technician.
    What a mistake.

    tafflink Guest

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast