Professional Web Applications Themes

Contribute3.msi trying to install every time I rightclick - Adobe Dreamweaver & Contribute

The installer keeps trying to install this file, and says it can't be found. Browsing doesn't work either. It just started happening and it's very irritating - I can't find a way to fix it permanently. I am running Windows XP and IE 7. Anyone had this problem or know how to fix it?...

  1. #1

    Default Contribute3.msi trying to install every time I rightclick

    The installer keeps trying to install this file, and says it can't be found.
    Browsing doesn't work either. It just started happening and it's very
    irritating - I can't find a way to fix it permanently. I am running Windows XP
    and IE 7. Anyone had this problem or know how to fix it?

    cdelbueno Guest

  2. #2

    I am having the same problem. This happens when clicking on all
    Office douments and other files. Someone in experts-exchange reported
    that clearing his draft doents in Contribute fixed it for him.
    This did not work for me.

    I just started experiencing this in the last week. I am also running
    XP and IE7.

    kpgordon@cs.stanford.edu Guest

  3. #3

    I am experiencing the same problem. It seemed to have started happening once
    the FlashPlayer was updated. The window appears saying "Preparing to Install"
    and then changes to " Please wait whilst whilst windows configures Macromedia
    Contribute 3", then after a short time the window disappears and is replaced by
    the the context menu.

    I reckon it is to do with the flashpaper entries in the context menu. I am
    going to attempt to remove them from that menu to see if the problem goes away.

    Gollygosh Guest

  4. #4

    On Jan 25, 8:25 am, "cdelbueno" <webforumsu...macromedia.com> wrote:
    > The installer keeps trying to install this file, and says it can't be found.
    > Browsing doesn't work either. It just started happening and it's very
    > irritating - I can't find a way to fix it permanently. I am running Windows XP
    > and IE 7. Anyone had this problem or know how to fix it?
    Same thing happened to me. Windows XP and IE7.
    It is absolutley related to a recent update of shockwave player. I
    dowloaded the "windows installer cleanup utility" installed it, ran
    it. [url]http://windowsxp.mvps.org/MSICLEAN.htm[/url]

    It comes up with a list of programs, scroll down to contribute and
    remove it. Problem solved.

    ford13@gmx.co.uk Guest

  5. #5

    We're experiencing the same thing. I thought it might be due to an
    installation issue in that an Admin installed Contribute but did not
    subsequently open any MS Office apps to setup the addins (FlashPaper).
    Therefore when the user logs in, it keeps trying to set that up but they don't
    have the permissions...just a thought...would love to here from Adobe on this
    one!

    redbarron Guest

  6. #6

    Got some progress. :-)
    I have uninstalled and reinstalled flash player9, used the Windows msi cleanup
    utility to remove contribute from the install list (because add/remove
    programmes just came back with a fatal error).

    So now I don't get the right click issue anymore, but (there is always a
    but).... I cannot reinstall contribute, on the other hand Contribute has not
    actually been uninstalled, just removed from the msi installer database, so
    double clicking on the Contribute icon on the desktop (which no longer has the
    nice "c" graphic) Contribute still appears to run normally.

    Will update when I have more info

    Gollygosh Guest

  7. #7

    Very cool Gollygosh. It really sounds like Contribute doesn't clean up after
    itself during the install. Your procedure breaks the file association, which
    may be recoverable if you go to File Associations in the explorer window and
    recover the link between Contribute and that file type. In my situation,
    there's no way my techs will want to perform this procedure on 1200 computers,
    so.... Adobe...any ideas??

    redbarron Guest

  8. #8

    [url]http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/messageview.cfm?forumid=55&catid=29[/url]
    0&threadid=1222923&highlight_key=y&keyword1=right% 20click

    Refer the above link, it may help in resolving the issue.
    ~Manoj

    mkgupta Guest

  9. #9

    Ok Thanks, I manged to break the right click issue, but now I have the problem
    that I can't run the install routine for contribute. If I click on the install
    button from the welcome screen spawned by inserting the CD, I get an egg timer
    for about 10 seconds and then nothing happen. The mouse pointer goes back to
    normal and the welcome screen is still there, no errors no nuthin'.

    Weird huh?

    Golly

    Gollygosh Guest

  10. #10

    This problem was definately caused by the lastest update to the flash player.
    Since both products are owned by Adobe it would seem that they should be the
    ones to send out a fix or another update to undo the problems caused by the
    last update. It certainly is annoying. I really don't feel like doing a lot of
    uninstalling & reinstalling to fix this when it could end up causing other
    problems. Has Adobe acknowledged the problem yet?

    cathykimball Guest

  11. #11

    I finally gave up and called Adobe support. The answer to this problem is to go
    into Program files, Contribute and remove the file "PSAPI.DLL"
    Restart your computer and everything should work OK.

    You can find a tech note here
    [url]www.adobe.com/go/fc6e9ff5[/url]

    cathykimball Guest

  12. #12

    I am also experiencing the same problem. Tried the delete PSAPI.DLL trick and the fix suggested at [url]www.adobe.com/go/fc6e9ff5[/url] without luck. Any other suggestions other than remove and reinstall?
    DonnieJames Guest

  13. #13

    Same problem here. Tried many things. At this point it seems like trashing Contribute is the best solution.
    HELLO ADOBE, YOUR SOFTWARE BORKED OUR MACHINES. FIX IT!!! :disgust;

    stumProject Guest

  14. #14

    Same problem - from comments above it sounds more like its due to the
    Windows/IE7 updates than anything Adobe's done. Updating the PSAPI.DLL didn't
    work for me, so tried re-running the free Contribute 3.11 updater, as a kind of
    re-install:
    [url]http://www.adobe.com/support/contribute/downloads.html[/url]
    Only took 10 mins or so and appears to have fixed the problem.

    fwxcookies Guest

  15. #15

    This just fixed it for me too. Phew.

    Thanks fwxcookies !
    RichardG Guest

  16. #16

    Using Windows XP on home Windows network
    Installed Flash 9.0
    All Office 2000 programs displayed posted issue on launch
    Restored to most recent system checkpoint
    All OK
    AZ Ron Guest

  17. #17

    Thanks for suggesting 3.11. I was not able to roll back or create new page. Running 3.11 fixed both problems.
    dee32 Guest

  18. #18

    It appears that 3.11 WILL work, but I've tried everything to install CS3 4.1 on
    my OS WinXP, nearly a day on the phone with "tech" support. Used cleancs3 to
    get rid of CS3 in Add&Remove (which had NO files that were visible), closed ALL
    potentially conflicting programs, Reinstalled with clean boot, NOTHING worked.
    At one point I got an error 1334 msg....can't find file in media.cab...
    _media_dee9eefb631ab5a589331107f15002b, and this came from BOTH my, just
    purchased, stand alone version AND Adobe's download of the same version. I can
    honestly say, I have never had this much trouble installing ANY OTHER
    software... ADOBE was asleep when this junk went out on the market!!!

    nylahtram Guest

  19. #19

    I fixed this by inserting the Contribute disk and click OK a couple of times.
    Christyb Guest

  20. #20

    FYI, updating to 3.11 worked for me too.
    Taylorgus Guest