Professional Web Applications Themes

Controlling airport modem from pc - Mac Networking

Hi, I have currently setup a home network using an Airport Extreme, ibook G4 and PC Notebook. The airport has an internal modem which i am using to access the internet. From the iBook, i am able to control the airport and connect to the internet, which then is shared among other computers on the network (ie the PC Notebook). The problem is that if i want to access the internet using this setup, i have to first connect using my iBook (by telling the airport to connect). Is there a way that i can control the airport modem from ...

  1. #1

    Default Controlling airport modem from pc

    Hi,

    I have currently setup a home network using an Airport Extreme, ibook
    G4 and PC Notebook. The airport has an internal modem which i am using
    to access the internet. From the iBook, i am able to control the
    airport and connect to the internet, which then is shared among other
    computers on the network (ie the PC Notebook).

    The problem is that if i want to access the internet using this setup,
    i have to first connect using my iBook (by telling the airport to
    connect). Is there a way that i can control the airport modem from my
    pc, so that i can connect to the internet? I have installed the
    Airport admin utitlity for windows, but this really only administers
    the airports settings, and there is no way for telling the airport to
    connect to the internet. Is there possibly a version of Internet
    Connect for the PC?

    Not sure how to set this up or if this is even possible. Any help is
    appreciated.

    Thanks
    Stu Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Controlling airport modem from pc

    In article <google.com>,
    com.au (Stu) wrote:

    It's definitely possible. I have a little utility for my Win2k laptop
    that does this. Of course, I forget the name and where I got it. A
    little googling suggests that it *might* be
    <http://edge.mcs.drexel.edu/GICL/people/sevy/airport/#Hangup>.

    --
    AF
    "Non Sequitur U has a really, really lousy debate team."

  3. #3

    Stu <com.au> wrote:

    Jon Sevy wrote a small (12KB) freeware Java application called
    AirPortModemUtility.jar to control a base station's modem via Ethernet.
    As I recall, it only worked via Ethernet, and I don't know if it runs on
    Windows. Unfortunately, it seems that Sevy is no longer at Drexel
    University, as the URL in the ReadMe is no longer valid. I can email it
    to you if you want to try it.

    Neill Guest

  4. #4

    * Stu <com.au>, 2004-02-29 09:56 +0100:

    There are Jon Sevy's powerful Java apps to administrate the different
    versions of the ABS, and there is also one utility yon can just dial
    with. It's great on any platform, but beware and resist the
    temptation of going "mixed adminsitration" unless you understand the
    Java app takes Hex passwords only while Apple also permits other
    forms! You might, in the worst case, lock yourself out and have to
    reset the ABS. AirPortModemUtility (the dialer) itself should be safe
    to use. <http://edge.mcs.drexel.edu/GICL/people/sevy/airport/>

    There is also a command line utility called "airctl" on
    <http://sourceforge.net>, a C program you would have to compile
    yourself, but once this is done, would remove the Java overhead if
    all you (or your scripts) want to do is dial and check the modem
    status.

    Both authors are very nice and very helpful people.

    I also have
    <http://www.kristian-m.de/projects/AirportStatus/index.html> in my
    records, but no personal experience with it.

    I hope this helps.

    -Andre

    Andre Guest