Professional Web Applications Themes

Convert B&W image into a vector graphic - Adobe Illustrator Windows

I am trying to re-create a customer's logo from something that was previously printed. I can get a good black and white image but I don't know how to make it into a vector image, (as if I created it myself). I have tried from Photoshop to "Export paths", but that doesn't work well. If the resolution is too low, it looks bad; too high and the file is much too complex. Any ideas?...

  1. #1

    Default Convert B&W image into a vector graphic

    Rene_Perales@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Convert B&W image into a vector graphic

    yes, redraw it manually with the pen tool. That is the ONLY way to achieve acceptable results IMHO.

    Some in here seem to have a different version of acceptable and may give you different advice.
    Timothy_Foolery®@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    It isn't so much that some of us have a different version of what is acceptable the BEST end product is what is acceptable. It is just some of us are willing to let the computer do the " trace " and then clean it up. OR if the the B&W bitmap is very simple the machine will output quite an acceptable vector with a few clicks.
    One should not limit their thinking to there is only one way to do something in any graphic program.

    Steven E.
    Steven_Eyrse@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Rene/Steven:

    Tracing with software and then "cleaning up" will take as much time as re-drawing, IME. I've tried both extensively, and I usually end up cleaning up so much, it's not worth the effort. One thing to also keep in mind, is that it really helps to try to get into the head of the original designer, and re-drawing what you think he/she had in mind rather than re-drawing scanning artifacts like bled edges and blurry corners.

    Re-drawing, Hands Down.

    Bert
    B. Philippus Guest

  5. #5

    And I've also done both hand and auto tracing (using both Adobe StreamLine and CorelTrace) and usually end up doing it totally manually. But have found that IF you wish to spend the time to set your raster iamge (any format) up in PhotoShop, you CAN do a fairly good job in many cases of vectorizing a relatively simple raster, but it still needs cleanup. Remember that trace produces non-indexed 8bit color, so if you produce that to begin with, then be sure your "object" edges are clearly defined, you'll have a fairly good chance of getting a decent vector representation. Doubtfully it'll be final enough for you, however. Since both CorelTrace and Adobe Streamline haven't been upgraded in quality for years, I doubt it's practical to do that still for whatever reason. In any case the autotrace tool in Illustrator is hardly worth even attempting, unless you just have to see for yourself (nothing wrong with that).

    Bob
    BobHill@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Not to add to this question too much, but it depends on the image and your skill level. Those of us that are better use the manual methods. Those of you how aren't can use the export paths and auto traces of the world. That is why they are there. They aern't perfect, but like I said, if you can't do it manually, these options are there to try and get you near.

    Jonathan
    Jonathan_McClintic@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    HI- I was going to post my own thread, but saw this one and felt that is is relevant. My skill level is not particularly high although I feel that I'm learning... Anyway, here is what I'm trying to do... I found a signature of a poet on a website that I'd like to try to sharpen and hopefully use it in a larger size in print. I was playing with the selection tools (in PS) and got a decent PSD which I dropped into AI CS. The Auto-Trace tool was giving me fits with this... I don't have a stylus or anything so trying to trace by hand is rather difficult for me... Any ideas on how to get the image a little more sharp (even if can't be used in print media, I'd like to try to use it in other ways...)

    Here is the full image:
    <http://www.masshist.org/Cabinet/september2001/2168poem-ce17720901-2.html>

    Here is the signature (background is transparent in PSD, flattened for the Web here)
    <http://server5.uploadit.org/files/BostonGuy-PWsignature.jpg>

    Any suggestions would be appreciated…

    Thanks
    Rick
    Rick_Arnaud@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Depending on the original, this tutorial on vectorizing in Photoshop might be useful:

    "Vectorize - A Quick Tutorial (by Mathias and Pierre)" 5/24/04 8:56am </cgi-bin/webx?50.1de5f905.3bb3a081>

    For things like logos, consisting primarily of line art, I tend to agree with those who say re-draw it. It really depends.

    =-= Harron =-=
    Harron_K._Appleman@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    If you are not skillfull in illustrator, redrawing logos is a help on your way to be just that. Illustrator is a tool like a pencil is a tool. You learn how to use it by using it.
    Jens_R_B_Hansen@adobeforums.com Guest