Professional Web Applications Themes

Convert Word to HTML? - Macromedia Dreamweaver

Is there a way to convert Microsoft Word 97 doents into HTML pages within Dreamweaver 4? The attempt was made through Word to convert it, but the web master says it isn't converting properly for what they need. (Not sure what they are looking for). It may be because the original doent was a template? Thanks for any help that you can provide....

  1. #1

    Default Convert Word to HTML?

    Is there a way to convert Microsoft Word 97 doents into HTML pages within
    Dreamweaver 4? The attempt was made through Word to convert it, but the web
    master says it isn't converting properly for what they need. (Not sure what
    they are looking for). It may be because the original doent was a
    template?

    Thanks for any help that you can provide.

    Sonny Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Convert Word to HTML?

    They are probably referring to the layout or the design of the word
    doent. I have had people sending me Word Doent to convert to HTML
    pages...when I did that...it s. The columns, the pictures and other
    "effects" in Word design was not retained in the HTML conversion. So, I
    told them no more. Just build the web page from scratch like in Word.

    I know this did not help...but it is my 2 cent worth.

    gil

    Sonny wrote:
    >Is there a way to convert Microsoft Word 97 doents into HTML pages within
    >Dreamweaver 4? The attempt was made through Word to convert it, but the web
    >master says it isn't converting properly for what they need. (Not sure what
    >they are looking for). It may be because the original doent was a
    >template?
    >
    >Thanks for any help that you can provide.

    Gil Guest

  3. #3

    One way I have done it is by copying the Word doc contents into Notepad so
    that you have pure text, and then copying and pasting that into DW. But once
    that is done, the fonts and styles needs to be re-formatted. But at least it
    will be better HTML than what Word gives you.

    Never, ever, do the convert to HTML thing from Word.

    "Sonny" <colling1ccf.org> wrote in message
    > Is there a way to convert Microsoft Word 97 doents into HTML pages
    within
    > Dreamweaver 4? The attempt was made through Word to convert it, but the
    web
    > master says it isn't converting properly for what they need. (Not sure
    what
    > they are looking for). It may be because the original doent was a
    > template?
    >
    > Thanks for any help that you can provide.

    middletree Guest

  4. #4

    Thanks for the input! I'll give your solution a try.

  5. #5

    Thanks Darrel. I'll try this solution as well. The only concern is that
    having unique software may be frowned upon in this environment.
    Sonny
    "darrel" <darrel.austincourts.state.mn.us> wrote in message
    > > Is there a way to convert Microsoft Word 97 doents into HTML pages
    > within
    > > Dreamweaver 4?
    >
    > Going from Word -> HTML is usually a headache of immense proportions.
    >
    > The best solution is an app called HTML Tidy. It's free and is probably
    the
    > only reliable way to convert Word into semi-clean HTML.
    >
    > As for their complaints, Word makes incredibly verbose, IE-specific
    > xml/xhtml/css. It's messy, clumsy, and always bloated.
    >
    > -Darrel

    Sonny Guest

  6. #6

    Default Re: Re:Convert Word to HTML?

    Thanks! I see that since the doent has fields that are editable, it
    poses a problem with the conversion to HTML. I'll try the PDF solution
    today.

    Thank you again.

    Sonny
    "menge00" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > Another solution:
    >
    > convert Word doent to PDF (using easyPDF or Adobe Distiller)
    > import PDF as HTML into dreamweaver using BCL WebContent
    >
    > more info: [url]www.bcltechnologies.com[/url]

    Sonny Guest