Professional Web Applications Themes

Converting an IBM program to Mac, help please - Mac Programming

My husband and I wrote a little program (94Kb) in Windows Visual Basic and donated it to the NeedleBar site, the best on the Net for antique sewing machine collectors. It consists of the .exe file where a sewing maker is chosen and a serial number is entered and a text file (scrambled for security's sake) containing makers' names, locations, mfg. dates with corresponding serial numbers. After clicking on "Find It" box, it shows the manufacturing date and location for the machine. It appears at http://www.needlebar.com/dates/index.html. The program has been very popular but Mac users are unhappy because they can't ...

  1. #1

    Default Converting an IBM program to Mac, help please

    My husband and I wrote a little program (94Kb) in Windows Visual Basic
    and donated it to the NeedleBar site, the best on the Net for antique
    sewing machine collectors. It consists of the .exe file where a sewing
    maker is chosen and a serial number is entered and a text file
    (scrambled for security's sake) containing makers' names, locations,
    mfg. dates with corresponding serial numbers. After clicking on "Find
    It" box, it shows the manufacturing date and location for the machine.
    It appears at http://www.needlebar.com/dates/index.html.

    The program has been very popular but Mac users are unhappy because
    they can't use it. Unfortunately we don't own a Mac and don't know a
    thing about Mac programming.

    I'm aware that there are IBM emulator programs available but they are
    expensive and ridiculously large for running only this little utility.

    Would anyone care to try this programming on a voluntary basis or for
    a small fee? I'd gladly do all the grunt work needed and forward the
    data input files in the required format.

    Circe
    Helen Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Converting an IBM program to Mac, help please

    On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 10:40:05 -0400, Helen Scarth
    <look.ca> wrote:

    Have you tried emulating MacOS on Windows? There are several programs
    available. The only down side is that they all (all that I've seen,
    anyway) emulate 68k Macs (that means old - can't run newer versions of
    MacOS). You can write software on these emulators that *should* function
    properly on modern Macs (I think - my newest Mac is 5-6 years old and
    can't run newer versions of MacOS).

    As for emulating Windows on a Mac, there *are* free (as in no money)
    emulators floating around the internet, but I haven't tried them and am
    not aware of how good they work.

    This is a web site dedicated to Macintosh emulation - there is tons of
    useful information here, and links to the major emulators:
    http://www.emaculation.com/

    The emulator that I use on Windows is Basilisk II, available here:
    http://gamma.nic.fi/~lpesonen/BasiliskII/

    Once you have downloaded the program, go to this page and read the
    Macintosh section (it's useful info that you'll need to know, much
    abbreviated but good for getting started):
    http://www.the-underdogs.org/nonpc.php#a1

    For a simple BASIC, go to this site and download Chipmunk Basic:
    http://www.nicholson.com/rhn/basic/

    There are other languages available, and other versions of BASIC, if you
    want to use something else.
    --
    auric "underscore" "underscore" "at" hotmail "dot" com
    *****

  3. #3

    Helen Scarth wrote:

    If you convert that program to RealBasic, it will run on Mac and PC
    both. www.realbasic.com

    -jcr
    John Guest

  4. #4

    In article <idiom.com>,
    "John C. Randolph" <idiom.com> wrote:
     [/ref]

    Is there right now a Windows hosted RealBasic version?

    --
    This address is valid in its unmodified form but expires soon.

    Thomas Guest

  5. #5

    In article <bmgqjr$mlp53$news.uni-berlin.de>,
    Thomas Engelmeier <com> wrote:
     [/ref]

    > Is there right now a Windows hosted RealBasic version?[/ref]

    Thirty seconds at www.realbasic.com would have answered that question.
    Yes, there is.

    --
    Tom "Tom" Harrington