Professional Web Applications Themes

Converting black image to pantone color for InDesign - Adobe Indesign Windows

Hi everyone, I'm pretty new to InDesign, and am going crazy trying to figure this out. I couldn't find a succint way to phrase the subject of this post, but here is my problem... MATERIAL: I have a logo in psd format, no vector version. The logo is a simple 1 color solid with no shading. However, there is a hollow area within the logo where it's transparent (and outside the logo is transparent too.) GOAL: To get the image into InDesign, and to ensure that the logo color is a specific pantone color (currently it is in an incorrect ...

  1. #1

    Default Converting black image to pantone color for InDesign

    Hi everyone,

    I'm pretty new to InDesign, and am going crazy trying
    to figure this out. I couldn't find a succint way to
    phrase the subject of this post, but here is my problem...

    MATERIAL:

    I have a logo in psd format, no vector version. The
    logo is a simple 1 color solid with no shading. However,
    there is a hollow area within the logo where it's
    transparent (and outside the logo is transparent too.)

    GOAL:

    To get the image into InDesign, and to ensure that the
    logo color is a specific pantone color (currently it
    is in an incorrect color.) Also, I need to maintain
    the transparent areas.

    TOOLS:

    I'm on Windows, and have Creative Suite.

    WHAT I HAVE TRIED:

    I've tried saving it as a greyscale tiff, then importing
    into InDesign where I can specify the correct pantone color
    I want via swatches. However, I lose the transparent areas.

    If I import as a greyscale psd, I keep the transparency,
    but I am unable to change the color of the logo. When I
    select it with the direct select tool, all my swatches
    are greyed out and I can't manipulate color.

    If I attempt to change the color of the logo within
    Photoshop first, then import into InDesign, the color
    comes out wrong, even though it looked ok in Photoshop.

    I would greatly appreciate any help. I'm going NUTSO.

    Thanks!
    liquidgoodness@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Place logo (psd file) into illustrator as a template and then trace logo. Delete template, now your logo is in a vector format.

    This is the way I would do it. Maybe someone else has an easier way.
    BeckyWC@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Thank you Becky!

    If I may trouble you further...

    I'm sorry to ask such a noobie question, but how
    exactly do I get it into Illustrator as a template?
    You mean just open the psd within Illustrator?

    And how do I trace it in Illustrator?

    Would you please supply a bit more detail?

    Sorry, and thanks so much.
    liquidgoodness@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Open it in Photoshop and convert to grayscale. Then convert to duotone
    and select monotone. Pick the Pantone color you want, resave the PSD and
    place in ID.

    Bob

    Robert_Levine@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    BTW, that will only only work in ID CS. For ID 2.0 you'll need to create
    clipping paths for the transparent areas and save as EPS.

  6. #6

    Robert,

    I could have SWORN I tried that about 5 times, and
    the color came out looking different. And yet,
    after I read your response, I tried it again and it
    worked.

    I must be an idiot.

  7. #7

    What about converting greyscale image to Bitmap and saving as tif? Then in ID you will be able to color as you want. Transparency will be OK.

    HTH
    Boyan
    Boyan_Mladenov@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    No it won't. You can't colorize a transparent TIFF.

  9. #9

    I colorize a black and white tiff (our logo) often, and have no problems. The trick is to select bitmap when you save it in Photoshop. Lee Pierce
    Lee_Pierce@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Bob,
    You didn't understand me. The black & white bitmap tif appears transparent in its white areas and you can colorize its black ones with direct selection tool. Nobody talks about transparent tifs.

    liquidgoodness,
    This is the most simple way. In addition I may suggest to try a higher resolution when you convert greyscale to bitmap and save as tif with LZW compression. Black and white tifs decrease quite a lot in size this way.

  11. #11

    I use transparent TIFFs quite a bit.