Professional Web Applications Themes
  1. #1

    Default Converting Cyrillic Text in Illustrator

    Does anyone have any experience with changing laguage in Adobe products, specifically Illustrator? I'm working with converting English text to Bulgarian or essentially a Cyrillic(Russian-like) text. I found and downloaded a Baskerville font that should meet these needs. I installed it properly, but when I copy and paste the text from the Bulgarian text in MS Word to Illustrator, all I get are a series of question marks. That's what I had before I even downloaded anything. Is there a setting that I need to alter in Illustrator or something? If MS Word can read the text, why can't Illustrator especially after installing the actual font that is supposed to handle it.
    Monica_Salazar@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Converting Cyrillic Text in Illustrator

    I had this problem in February while working on a Russian brochure. I found a support page that said Illustrator does not support Cyrillic fonts, however InDesign does, which is strange. I had to create text in InDesign, export as an EPS file for the client to open it in Illustrator. Here is what the web page says, and the link to it:

    <http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/1cfde.htm>

    Support for Non-Roman Fonts in Illustrator

    Adobe Illustrator 8.0 and later supports Roman fonts using the ISO Latin-1 character set, and in combination with a language kit or localized version of Windows or Mac OS, the Asiatic character sets of Chinese, Japanese, and Korean (CJK) double-byte fonts. Illustrator does not support the character sets of other non-Roman fonts (e.g., Arabic, Hebrew, or Cyrillic), even when you are using the appropriate language kit or localized version of the operating system.

    Adobe Illustrator 7.0.x supports only Roman, CJK, and Cyrillic fonts.
    Charmaine_Peck@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Illustrator CS supports Unicode, and most Unicode fonts that do not require additional special processing should work fine. (Languages that are right to left, or require special processing such as Thai, will not work in the regular western versions of Illustrator CS.)

    Thomas_Phinney@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Illustrator CS CE supports Cyrillic fonts.
    <http://www.winsoft.fr/products/ceproducts.html>
    Oleg_V@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    I discovered by chance that if you manually insert a Cyrillic glyph (via the glyphs pallete) you can type in Cyrillic for the rest of the text box. If you just open a text box and start typing, only ?'s. I DO have a Cyrillic keyboard map installed so I can just type it in any app. Keyboard maps can be downloaded free on the web and just have to be added to your language options in Windows.
    Copy-and-paste works too. Just create the text box, insert a Cyrillic glyph, paste the text after it and erase the original glyph.
    Maybe there are other ways, but this worked for me.
    Jason_Hintze@adobeforums.com Guest