Professional Web Applications Themes

CONVERTING MS ACCESS TO FILEMAKER PRO 5 - FileMaker

I am not sure if this is the right place to ask this question. I want to convert an MS ACCESS 2000 data to FileMaker Pro 5. Any ideas Thanks continued...

  1. #1

    Default CONVERTING MS ACCESS TO FILEMAKER PRO 5

    I am not sure if this is the right place to ask this question.

    I want to convert an MS ACCESS 2000 data to FileMaker Pro 5. Any ideas

    Thanks

    ZOMBI Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: CONVERTING MS ACCESS TO FILEMAKER PRO 5

    On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 09:06:04 -0700, ZOMBI <ps54713@swt.edu> wrote:
    >I am not sure if this is the right place to ask this question.
    >
    >I want to convert an MS ACCESS 2000 data to FileMaker Pro 5. Any ideas
    >
    >Thanks
    Set up a DSN for the Access database you are using, then import into
    FileMaker using ODBC.
    If your Access database is a single table this is very easy, but gets
    more complicated with multiple tables and relationships, however,
    FileMakers' ODBC import function has a simple tool built in to help
    simplify the process.
    There are some good examples in the FileMaker users guide, chapter 15.

    Best regards,
    Michael Myett
    Michael Myett Guest

  3. #3

    Howdy,
    Just goes to prove it's never safe to assume; the thought of a Mac
    environment never crossed my mind as soon as I saw MS Access. I don't
    have any real Mac experience to speak of, but if by "online" you mean on
    a network I don't see why you couldn't. There must be someone here who
    can either verify or dispute this. ODBC came to mind first because the
    idea of exporting to a compatible file, then importing just seems to
    cumbersome and time consuming. ODBC is a little more labor intensive to
    set up but only needs to be done once and can be scripted.

    Best regards,
    Michael Myett

    Fraser wrote:
    > On 8/8/03 3:02 PM, in article [email]des7jv413ahbtes9ean55r295v67fum674@4ax.com[/email],
    > "Michael Myett" <michael.myett@verizon.net> wrote:
    >

    >>Set up a DSN for the Access database you are using, then import into
    >>FileMaker using ODBC.
    >>If your Access database is a single table this is very easy, but gets
    >>more complicated with multiple tables and relationships, however,
    >>FileMakers' ODBC import function has a simple tool built in to help
    >>simplify the process.
    >>There are some good examples in the FileMaker users guide, chapter 15.
    >

    > Can I do that across platforms?
    >
    > I'd like to read from and write to an Access database online on a PC from
    > FMP on my Mac.

    Michael Myett Guest

  4. #4

    On 8/14/03 10:39 AM, in article NaN_a.16344$UB4.10660@nwrdny01.gnilink.net,
    "Michael Myett" <michael.myett@verizon.net> wrote:
    > Howdy,
    > Just goes to prove it's never safe to assume; the thought of a Mac
    > environment never crossed my mind as soon as I saw MS Access. I don't
    > have any real Mac experience to speak of, but if by "online" you mean on
    > a network I don't see why you couldn't. There must be someone here who
    > can either verify or dispute this. ODBC came to mind first because the
    > idea of exporting to a compatible file, then importing just seems to
    > cumbersome and time consuming. ODBC is a little more labor intensive to
    > set up but only needs to be done once and can be scripted.
    I think MS only provides Jet ODBC drivers for Access on Windows. However,
    MS SQL Server uses the TDS standard.

    Fraser Guest

  5. #5

    Michael Myett <michael.myett@verizon.net> wrote:
    > If your Access database is a single table this is very easy,
    in the case of a unique table, ASCII export-import is far more simple
    than ODBC setting...

    --
    Philippe Manet
    sale temps pour les escargots...