Professional Web Applications Themes

Converting MS SQL to MySQL - MySQL

Hey there :) I'm in a project to build an eCommerce site using TYPO3. We've been trying to get everything up and running on a Windows + IIS + MS SQL setup (for political reasons), which has proven to be very problematic. Actually, we're at the point were we pretty much have to switch to MySQL for things to work out. Thing is, we already have a 43-table 15+ GB MS SQL database with commerce items that we need to migrate to the MySQL server. There are no stored procedures, but there are a handful of Views (I don't think ...

  1. #1

    Default Converting MS SQL to MySQL

    Hey there :)

    I'm in a project to build an eCommerce site using TYPO3. We've been trying
    to get everything up and running on a Windows + IIS + MS SQL setup (for
    political reasons), which has proven to be very problematic. Actually,
    we're at the point were we pretty much have to switch to MySQL for things
    to work out.

    Thing is, we already have a 43-table 15+ GB MS SQL database with commerce
    items that we need to migrate to the MySQL server. There are no stored
    procedures, but there are a handful of Views (I don't think we really need
    them), and relations exist in some form within the database (I know nothing
    of the workings of MS SQL myself, and unfortunately, my boss and creator of
    the database is currently in Malaysia, so you'll have to bear with me in
    being a bit unspecific, sorry).

    Do you have any recommendations on how to (relatively) easily te the
    MS SQL database to a new MySQL database? I have installed MySQL 5 on the
    same server that holds the MS SQL server. Next up is to "convert" it.
    Needless to say, it'd be nice to do this "the right way", whichever way
    that really is :)

    Thanks in advance for any help,
    Daniel Buus
    Daniel Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Converting MS SQL to MySQL

    Daniel Smedegaard Buus wrote:

    Have a look at
    http://www.mysql.com/why-mysql/white-papers/mysql_wp_mssql2mysql.php

    --
    Brian Wakem
    Brian Guest

  3. #3

    Hello Daniel,

    nothing
    of
    the

    Depending on what you actually used in MS SQL, many things will convert
    just fine.

    There are tools that allow you to convert tables/indices/constraints, for
    example,
    our tool: Database Workbench and it's Schema Migrator ( www.upscene.com )

    Of course, it's possible that some things won't get converted, like certain
    features
    in TSQL (functions or so) in your views.

    --
    Martijn Tonies
    MS SQL Server

    Martijn Guest

  4. #4

    Martijn Tonies wrote:

    > nothing
    > of
    > the
    >
    > Depending on what you actually used in MS SQL, many things will convert
    > just fine.
    >
    > There are tools that allow you to convert tables/indices/constraints, for
    > example,
    > our tool: Database Workbench and it's Schema Migrator ( www.upscene.com )
    >
    > Of course, it's possible that some things won't get converted, like
    > certain features
    > in TSQL (functions or so) in your views.
    >
    >[/ref]

    Hi Martijn, thanks for replying!

    Thanks for the link, too. At the moment, the database is being copied by
    using the DTS thing in SQL Server 2000, via MySQL ODBC 3.51. We haven't
    really decided yet whether or not we're going to migrate for good, because
    the primary decision maker is in Malaysia until Monday. But, depending on
    the outcome, we may need proper conversion tools, so thanks for the link :)

    Cheers,
    Daniel

    Daniel Guest

  5. #5

    Brian Wakem wrote:

    > Have a look at
    > http://www.mysql.com/why-mysql/white-papers/mysql_wp_mssql2mysql.php
    >[/ref]

    Thank you, Martin, for this link! The paper will surely come in handy,
    especially to the DBA.

    Cheers,
    Daniel

    Daniel Guest

  6. #6

    Daniel Smedegaard Buus wrote:

    >> Have a look at
    >> http://www.mysql.com/why-mysql/white-papers/mysql_wp_mssql2mysql.php
    >>[/ref]
    >
    > Thank you, Martin, for this link! The paper will surely come in handy,
    > especially to the DBA.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Daniel[/ref]

    No problem, but my name's Brian.