Professional Web Applications Themes

Converting text to outlines in Illustrator for use in InDesign - Adobe Indesign Macintosh

Hello - hope someone can help me with this (for information, we're using InDesign CS2 but Illustrator CS) I'm working on a spread that is black with reversed out text (actually set to overprint at 1% K) One of our designers has decided that we need to get a font recut to give a heavier weight halfway between Light and Regular because he's concerned that at small point size, in the reversed out text, the Light won't reproduce well enough (particularly with the possibility of a subsequent 15% format reduction at the printers). To establish how much of a problem ...

  1. #1

    Default Converting text to outlines in Illustrator for use in InDesign

    Hello - hope someone can help me with this (for information, we're using InDesign CS2 but Illustrator CS)

    I'm working on a spread that is black with reversed out text (actually set to overprint at 1% K)

    One of our designers has decided that we need to get a font recut to give a heavier weight halfway between Light and Regular because he's concerned that at small point size, in the reversed out text, the Light won't reproduce well enough (particularly with the possibility of a subsequent 15% format reduction at the printers).

    To establish how much of a problem this might be, we're planning on getting a wet proof test with samples of the existing font. In addition, the designer has edited the font to the weight he wants and he wants to include this in the test.

    However, because when he edited the font it still had the same font number that was associated with the original version, he can't use both versions of the font in the one doent. Instead, he's proposing to use the modified font in Illustrator, convert the text to outlines, and then place in the InDesign doc that will be sent for the wet proof test.

    My question is: will converting the text to outlines in Illustrator and then placing in InDesign allow us to do a genuine comparison (particularly considering that at small point size, any possible impact will be exacerbated) or are there possible issues that will undermine the test.

    Any information gratefully received!

    Lolly_Pickles@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    It's a given that outlining type, especially small size, will effect the
    look. How much, and if you can live with it you will need to determin. Can
    you not rename the modified font?

    Larry

    Larry_Grohman@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks for that, Larry.

    Unfortunately the designer has only a little knowledge which is proving to be a dangerous thing and knows enough to edit the font and not enough to rename it.

    It's all turning into a bit of a battle so I'm looking for some back-up that converting the type to outlines isn't going to allow us to compare like for like.
    Lolly_Pickles@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    a dangerous thing and knows enough to edit the font and not enough to
    rename it

    Exactly. But why couldn't he, or someone else, rename the new font? What if, god forbid, there's a copy change?
    Erika_Heggie@adobeforums.com Guest