Professional Web Applications Themes

Cool results - Adobe Photoshop Elements

I decided that I just have to share of this experience. I went to a family reunion recently. There was a photograph of my great-great-grandmother. It was brown and and faded, but it was better than anything that I had in my own collection. So I photographed it with my digital camera. When I got home I download the picture and opened it in Elements. The first thing I did was apply "Auto Levels". To my amazement, Elements removed all of the brown and there was actually some color to the photograph. Apparently the original had been handpainted. Then I ...

  1. #1

    Default Cool results

    I decided that I just have to share of this experience. I went to a family reunion recently. There was a photograph of my great-great-grandmother. It was brown and and faded, but it was better than anything that I had in my own collection. So I photographed it with my digital camera. When I got home I download the picture and opened it in Elements. The first thing I did was apply "Auto Levels". To my amazement, Elements removed all of the brown and there was actually some color to the photograph. Apparently the original had been handpainted. Then I adjusted the saturation, and when I got through I had a stunning color photograph. But the technique doesn't work every time. I tried it on another photograph and the color that was there looked terrible. So I converted that photograph to black and white and then simulated sepia toning on it.
    Jim Hess Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Cool results

    Great post, Jim. And great for those who are into recoloring archived old photos.

    Bob
    BobHill Guest

  3. #3

    I know that you can create a black and white photograph by removing color, but can you change a color or black and white photo to sepia tones? Appreciate any help...Thanks
    naomi@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Naomi,

    Yes you can create a sepia toned image. I can think of three ways.

    One way:
    * have your layers palette visible on your work area
    * go to image>duplicate and work on this copy
    * double click layer in palette which says 'background' to change it into a 'normal' layer
    * perform whatever tonal/contrast/sharpening improvements you desire
    * click the symbol at bottom of palette to bring up a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer
    * move the saturation slider all the way to the left (to desaturate)
    * create another Hue/Sat Adj. layer
    * click the 'Colorize' box at bottom right
    * move sliders to about Hue=25 and Saturation=35
    * Save
    Nancy_S@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Another, very quick and simple way is to apply sepia in the "Layer styles" menu under "photographic effects".
    Or, go to "Variations" and add some yellow and red in varios proportions.

    Leen
    Leen_Koper@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Leen,

    Those were my other two ways, but MUCH too easy and don't learn anything on the journey :)
    Nancy_S@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    I have also tried this on my grandfather's boat pictures, take the picture with my Coolpix 990, then work on it with PSE. Great results!
    I am so glad you reminded me, as I have a bunch to scan and photo for an upcoming class that I will be taking in November.
    Thanks,
    Jane
    Jane_Carter@adobeforums.com Guest