Professional Web Applications Themes

Copy Database from NT to W2K - Oracle Server

Hi, I have a question and maybe someone can help. We installed Oracle 7.3.3 on Windows NT, patched it to 7.3.4, then upgraded and migrated it till 8.1.7.4, still under NT. We saved the files, cleaned the machine and installed Windows W2K, because an upgrade fo Windows NT to W2K always crashed. After the installation of W2K, we installed Oracle 8.1.7.4. We deleted this datafiles and moved the datafiles under it, which we created on NT. We can mount the db, but at the open it crashes with ora-01092. I tried everything like 'recover... backup controlfiles' or 'recover until...', still ...

  1. #1

    Default Copy Database from NT to W2K

    Hi, I have a question and maybe someone can help. We installed Oracle
    7.3.3 on Windows NT, patched it to 7.3.4, then upgraded and migrated
    it till 8.1.7.4, still under NT. We saved the files, cleaned the
    machine and installed Windows W2K, because an upgrade fo Windows NT to
    W2K always crashed.

    After the installation of W2K, we installed Oracle 8.1.7.4. We deleted
    this datafiles and moved the datafiles under it, which we created on
    NT. We can mount the db, but at the open it crashes with ora-01092. I
    tried everything like 'recover... backup controlfiles' or 'recover
    until...', still the same.

    I think that basically the files from NT to W2K are not compatible,
    even if they're NTFS, I think something in NTFS changed between NT and
    W2K, but if we would migrate the OS, we wouldn't have a problem.

    Can somebody agree to this ? or give me a hint ? We really don't know
    what to do. We didn't want to do export/import to save time, DB is
    95G.

    thanks for your help
    Giuseppe Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Copy Database from NT to W2K

    "Giuseppe" <giuseppe.didodobluewin.ch> wrote in message
    news:df5fda08.0212230209.5407db3bposting.google.c om...
    > Hi, I have a question and maybe someone can help. We installed Oracle
    > 7.3.3 on Windows NT, patched it to 7.3.4, then upgraded and migrated
    > it till 8.1.7.4, still under NT. We saved the files, cleaned the
    > machine and installed Windows W2K, because an upgrade fo Windows NT to
    > W2K always crashed.
    >
    > After the installation of W2K, we installed Oracle 8.1.7.4. We deleted
    > this datafiles and moved the datafiles under it, which we created on
    > NT. We can mount the db, but at the open it crashes with ora-01092. I
    > tried everything like 'recover... backup controlfiles' or 'recover
    > until...', still the same.
    >
    > I think that basically the files from NT to W2K are not compatible,
    > even if they're NTFS, I think something in NTFS changed between NT and
    > W2K, but if we would migrate the OS, we wouldn't have a problem.
    >
    > Can somebody agree to this ?
    This is simply NOT true

    or give me a hint ?

    Please look in the alert log for further error messages.
    If you moved files you should have recreated the controlfile, which you most
    likely didn't. Your BIG BANG scenario was hence doomed to fail.

    We really don't know
    > what to do. We didn't want to do export/import to save time, DB is
    > 95G.

    Most likely tables and indexes and indexes are not exported.
    I also have the feeling you are describing from memory. You should post the
    *exact* steps. Currently, there a no clues to work on.

    --
    Sybrand Bakker
    Senior Oracle DBA

    Sybrand Bakker Guest

  3. #3

    news:df5fda08.0212230626.499cd4a1posting.google.c om...
> [...]
    > > >
    > > > Can somebody agree to this ?
    > > This is simply NOT true
    > >
    > > or give me a hint ?
    > >
    > > Please look in the alert log for further error messages.
    > > If you moved files you should have recreated the controlfile, which you
    most
    > > likely didn't. Your BIG BANG scenario was hence doomed to fail.
    > >
    > > We really don't know
    > > > what to do. We didn't want to do export/import to save time, DB is
    > > > 95G.
    > >

    > > Most likely tables and indexes and indexes are not exported.
    > > I also have the feeling you are describing from memory. You should post
    the
    > > *exact* steps. Currently, there a no clues to work on.
    >
    > What you meant 'it's not true ?'. Ok, here the complete story:
    >
    > We went to a customer and took his datafiles, incl. control-files,
    > init.ora and so on. The customer had NT4, and 7.3.4. Before we left,
    > we did a 'alter database backup controlfile to trace' -> x.sql. We
    > installed our machine with NT4 and 7.3.3. We patched to 7.3.4, then we
    > deleted all the datafiles and put the ones from the customer
    > underneath.
    >
    > We edited x.sql and changed the new pathes and took the line 'Recover
    > database using backup controlfile' out of the script. We started the
    > script which ends with 'alter database open resetlogs'. It worked
    > under NT4, 7.3.4, great !
    >
    > We migrated this db all way up to 8.1.7.4 (8.1.6, 8.1.6.1, 8.1.7,
    > 8.1.7.1 and finally 8.1.7.4). The DB still worked fine, now with NT4
    > and 8.1.7.4. Before we left, we did a 'alter database backup
    > controlfile to trace' -> y.sql.
    >
    > Now we wanted to upgrade the machine to W2K which always failed
    > because of a driver for the controller. After several attempts we
    > deleted the machine and instead of doing an upgrade we did a new
    > installation of W2K. Then we installed Oracle DB 8.1.7 -> 8.1.7.1 ->
    > 8.1.7.4. So, at this point we now deleted the new datafiles and wanted
    > to put the migrated customer Files underneath.
    >
    > We did the same thing like at the customer, we started the generated
    > y.sql file. The database mounted and tried to open, at this step we
    > suddenly got an ora-01092, which we couldn't explain. We tried with
    > 'recover database until cancel' which didn't help. We had archive logs
    > till DEV00049.001, but the system wanted DEV00050.001, which we didn't
    > have. The system TS was touched and then the DB crashed.
    >
    > What I suspect is, the DB opened and started to make changes, when it
    > wanted to write the archive log, it crashed with 1092. We checked all
    > the read/write permissions, everything seems ok. I can't explain the
    > 1092 otherwise.
    >
    > Any idea ? In alertlog we had one thing '1534 PRS_0 Rollback.. not
    > found', we forgot to take this out of the init.ora, but I don't think
    > that this is a problem...
    >
    > I would appreciate every hint and help I can get.

    Guess this was to be expected, as not following the steps in the script
    resulting from using alter database backup controlfile to trace is one of
    the safest ways to get you into trouble.

    Whenever a database restarts a checkpoint occurs, and this might result in a
    logfile switch (it usually does) which is exactly what happened in your
    case.
    Logsequence 50 is in one of your online redolog files, you can find out
    which by querying v$log and v$archived_log (database only needs to be in
    *mount* mode for this, and that should work)
    You could try to supply the name of the online redolog instead of the
    archive, got me out at least once.

    Other than that, part of your problem is you really *should* use 'using
    backup controlfile' in your case, because you *did* regenerate the
    controlfile, and it is being considered as coming from a backup. If you
    leave out this clause the database open will fail on inconsistencies between
    the datafile headers and the controlfile.

    Hth

    --
    Sybrand Bakker
    Senior Oracle DBA

    BTW Although Micros is expert at designing incompatible systems
    (remember the nightmare transition from Winsocks 1 to Win*s* 2, which
    was made in NT4 suffer pack 3), files definitely *are* compatible between
    win2k and nt4. Please just fire up the properties of 'My computer' once, and
    you'll see your O/S is listed as NT 5.0... (Which is of course exactly what
    it is, the 2000 being marketing)

    Sybrand Bakker Guest

  4. #4

    [email]giuseppe.didodobluewin.ch[/email] (Giuseppe) wrote in message news:<df5fda08.0212260316.2c6a8176posting.google. com>...
    > Hi guys
    >
    > sorry for my delay to answer.
    >
    > We got it up, it finally works now ! We left the DB on the machine
    > with NT4 and tried to upgrade the machine to W2K. We had some troubles
    > with drivers for the RAID controller, but when we solved that, we
    > could upgrade the machine. Because the DB was already on 8.1.7.4,
    > everything was fine.
    >
    > I still don`t understand why it didn`t work, I did that a couple of
    > times and it always worked. Ok, 90% I did it running under UNIX, NT
    > just two or three times.
    >
    > Thanks again for your help!
    > merry christmas and happy new year and lot less DB problems...
    Hi, Giuseppe,

    There shouldn't be any problem directly moving datafiles between
    Windows NT and 2000. But I have yet to find official endorsement from
    either Oracle or Microsoft saying this is allowed. (See the last
    paragraph at [url]http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=b3cb12d6.0206091644.76926b5f%40posting.goog le.com[/url]
    and the entire thread, which is mainly about the potential use of
    datafiles across OSes)

    Ever since my test on my NT and W2K dual boot computer using the same
    datafiles, I always pay close attention to technical papers and books
    on NTFS difference between NT and W2k. I still haven't found a
    definitive answer from an expert saying Oracle datafiles are safe to
    be directly moved from one to the other. So please post back here if
    you find any problem later on. The ultimate question is, should NT and
    W2K be considered as two OSes or just one but two versions? And
    generally, how different should two versions of one OS be to require
    exp/imp instead of directly copying Oracle datafiles? Or it's the
    filesystem, not OS, that matters?

    Yong Huang
    Yong Huang Guest