Professional Web Applications Themes

Copy/Past of scans in ID CS works on one, not on other - Adobe Indesign Windows

My client is using two fairly identical PCs, one running ID CS that was upgraded from ID 2, the other running the entire CS suite. They copy a scan from the internet and paste it into InDesign, then print to a color proofer. On the PC with the entire CS suite, no problem. On the the other PC, InDesign crashes when the client does the paste. Adobe told them to reinstall InDesign, and they did, but the one machine still crashes. Ideas? Vicky...

  1. #1

    Default Copy/Past of scans in ID CS works on one, not on other

    1ronin@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Do not copy/paste graphics. Save the scan as a TIF or PSD and place that
    in ID.

    Bob
    Bob Guest

  3. #3

    Bob:

    I can tell them this till I'm blue in the face, and that is not the issue. It works for them because they don't go to high-end printers. One PC works, the other crashes when they try to paste. That's the issue, not quality of image. They're happy with the quality of their image. I can tell them to Place or drag-and-drop and they won't accept that because the other machine doesn't crash.

    The crashing is the issue. They've reinstalled InDesign (this is a standalone version, not the complete CS) but it still crashes. Other ideas? New service pack?

  4. #4

    They've reinstalled InDesign (this is a standalone version, not the complete
    CS) but it still crashes. Other ideas? New service pack?

    We can't help unless you help us. What version of Windows are they using and what SP is it now? Are they the latest Antivirus? Are they using Microsoft Antispyware?

    I can tell them this till I'm blue in the face

    How about you also tell your client that you can't help them if they can't help you? Plain and simple, copy/paste is not the right way to do this whether it crashes or not-period!
    George Guest

  5. #5

    Well, they decided it was a hardware issue, not a software one. Windows 2000 (does CS even run on that?), an old old system, etc. Not my problem any longer. Thanks, anyway.

    BUT I have another question (and this is something that bugs me about software developers in general, and I've seen this for the past 20 years, so it's fairly rhetorical): if you're not supposed to cut/paste scans into InDesign, WHY DOES THE SOFTWARE LET YOU DO IT? It seems to me that Adobe (and Quark, and all the other dervelopers) should disallow "features" that their tech support people later have to tell people not to do.

    As a teacher, I spend a quarter of my time telling people which functions to NOT do in software.... just my two cents worth....

  6. #6

    Win2K does run ID.

    Good question BTW. I'm sure someone else here will have something to say about that.
    George Guest

  7. #7

    It's known as idiot proofing, and generally has the result that someone
    devises a new and better idiot.

    Ken_Grace@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    > if you're not supposed to cut/paste scans into InDesign, WHY DOES THE
    SOFTWARE LET YOU DO IT?

    If it didn't, someone would come along and say "Even Word will paste a scan.
    Why does Indesign prevent me from doing this?"

    Ken Benson

    Kenneth_Benson@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    > It seems to me that Adobe (and Quark, and all the other

    I agree.
    Guy_Smiley@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Adobe is treating us like adults that can make rational decisions. There may be times when copy/paste is acceptable to do what you want done. However, it may not be "best practice" to do it that way. The software lets us choose. And I think that respects us who are using the software. For those who refuse to learn what best practices are Adobe simply is giving them enough rope to hang themselves. Generally you have to learn what is best for your situation at any given time. That includes taking into account the intended result of what you are creating and creating to get the best possible result from the output that you are creating for. If it is print, you do things a certain way; if it is web, you may do it another way. Removing features or making them unavailable is treating us like children who cannot make our own decisions. I personally do not wish to be treated that way.

    My own personal diatribe
    Stan Wetherald
    Quality Quickprint
    DeLand, Florida, USA