Professional Web Applications Themes

Copy/Paste from MX to Photoshop - Macromedia Freehand

Does anyone know if FreeHand has fixed this very serious (to me) issue of not being able to seamlessly copy/paste from one program to the other? Can't seem to find anything about it. Ready to buy Illustrator soon. Ginni...

  1. #1

    Default Copy/Paste from MX to Photoshop

    Does anyone know if FreeHand has fixed this very serious (to me) issue of not
    being able to seamlessly copy/paste from one program to the other?

    Can't seem to find anything about it.

    Ready to buy Illustrator soon.

    Ginni

    Trollmama Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Copy/Paste from MX to Photoshop

    What is your platform and OS?

    What version of Photoshop are you using?

    Are you copying pixels or paths?

    Copy formats are controlled by Preferences > Export > 'Clipboard Output
    Formats'.

    If you usually copy and paste pixels to Photoshop, set your Export Prefs to
    Photoshop 4/5.

    When you want to copy paths, use Copy Special > 'EPS converting (color
    spaces)'. Choose the correct color space of the target Photoshop doent.
    When copying paths, I've found it most reliable to have the Photoshop
    doent open first. Do a 'Photoshop 4/5' copy first. Paste into Photoshop
    as pixels and delete. This seems to clear the clipboard of assorted FH junk
    and stuff that Photoshop can't understand.

    Copy special 'EPS converting (color space)' does not seem to be able to
    convert color modes in a way Photoshop CS can understand, so make sure all
    the colors in your FHMX doent are the same mode (RGB or CMYK) as the
    color space of the Photoshop doent.

    It also helps if you say a little prayer, cross your fingers and take a deep
    breath before doing the copy/paste. ;-)

    Judy Arndt

    Trollmama wrote:
    > Does anyone know if FreeHand has fixed this very serious (to me) issue of not
    > being able to seamlessly copy/paste from one program to the other?
    >
    > Can't seem to find anything about it.
    >
    > Ready to buy Illustrator soon.
    >
    > Ginni

    Judy Arndt Guest

  3. #3

    I forgot to mention that several users have reported copy/paste problems
    with Norton Utilities running -- Norton Filesaver in particular.

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Arndt wrote:
    > What is your platform and OS?
    >
    > What version of Photoshop are you using?
    >
    > Are you copying pixels or paths?
    >
    > Copy formats are controlled by Preferences > Export > 'Clipboard Output
    > Formats'.
    >
    > If you usually copy and paste pixels to Photoshop, set your Export Prefs to
    > Photoshop 4/5.
    >
    > When you want to copy paths, use Copy Special > 'EPS converting (color
    > spaces)'. Choose the correct color space of the target Photoshop doent.
    > When copying paths, I've found it most reliable to have the Photoshop
    > doent open first. Do a 'Photoshop 4/5' copy first. Paste into Photoshop
    > as pixels and delete. This seems to clear the clipboard of assorted FH junk
    > and stuff that Photoshop can't understand.
    >
    > Copy special 'EPS converting (color space)' does not seem to be able to
    > convert color modes in a way Photoshop CS can understand, so make sure all
    > the colors in your FHMX doent are the same mode (RGB or CMYK) as the
    > color space of the Photoshop doent.
    >
    > It also helps if you say a little prayer, cross your fingers and take a deep
    > breath before doing the copy/paste. ;-)
    >
    > Judy Arndt
    >
    > Trollmama wrote:
    >
    >> Does anyone know if FreeHand has fixed this very serious (to me) issue of not
    >> being able to seamlessly copy/paste from one program to the other?
    >>
    >> Can't seem to find anything about it.
    >>
    >> Ready to buy Illustrator soon.
    >>
    >> Ginni

    Judy Arndt Guest

  4. #4

    Thanks Judy, for all your info.

    I'm using the latest version of Jaguar OSX, Photoshop 7 (not CS), FHMX .... I
    also now have Illustrator - thinking it would give me fewer copy/paste problems
    with Photoshop.

    Guess I don't understand why something that used to be so easy, is now so
    difficult. I used to hit copy, then paste, and voila - there it was in
    Photoshop. Never had to worry about what was RGB, what was CMYK, or any of that
    stuff.

    Apparently that's all changed, I just made my Photoshop file CMYK (per your
    suggestion) and it let me paste.

    What's frustrating to me is that FH acknowledges that this is a "known" issue
    and is working on it, and yet people on this forum don't seem to know what I'm
    talking about!

    Well, I do appreciate all your help.

    Ginni

    Trollmama Guest

  5. #5

    "Trollmama" <com> wrote in message
    .... I
    problems

    ginni.

    I think that going from AI to photoshop is much more reliable than FH to PS
    .. I have experienced art work beein resized several times in moving between
    FH and PS as well as major color changes.

    mg

    Martin Guest

  6. #6

    Judy,

    Can I ask for you help again? Well, even if I can't, I'm going to - lol.

    This copy/paste problem is making me crazy. Sometimes it (what you suggested
    I do) works, and sometimes it doesn't. I'm just curious as to what Macromedia
    might be doing to address this issue, and if so, do you know anything about it?

    I also wonder if you have a work-around that will definitely work all the time
    - I really need for it to work!!

    I have spent the entire morning trying to get a simple black circle drawn in
    FH, pasted into a PS file, and I can't do it.
    I'm at my wit's end. I've tried every possible thing I can think of and then
    some, and it's not working.

    I'm ready to scream. Is is because my PS is not CS? Can that be it? At this
    point, any and all info would be greatly appreciated. Is there something wrong
    with my clipboard (a problem I've never heard of but I'm just grasping at
    straws here).

    If there is some other suggestions you can make, I'm all ears.

    Yours in Graphic Design Hell,

    Ginni

    Trollmama Guest

  7. #7

    Ginni,

    Google is your friend. You can find the sum total of my wisdom (or lack of
    it) on the Copy/Paste to Photoshop issues in the Google Groups archives.

    http://tinyurl.com/4uvb8

    Judy Arndt

    Trollmama wrote:

    [...]

    Judy Guest

  8. #8

    thanks Judy, but I've tried all of your (and everyone else's) suggestions ...
    plus some I made up as I went along - nothing is working.

    but here's one for you - right after I sent the email to you, I selected and
    "ungrouped" the circle, and it allowed me to paste in PS!! - then I tried it
    again, and it didn't work ... one moment of sunshine, anyway.

    My next step is a (very) angry letter to Macromedia

    appreciate your getting back to me

    back to screaming now

    Ginni

    Trollmama Guest

  9. #9

    Have you tried pasting your circle from FH to Illustrator, and then from
    Illustrator to PS?

    mg

    "Trollmama" <com> wrote in message
    and
    it

    Martin Guest

  10. #10

    Hi Ginni,
    You might try checking to see if the clipboard export formats are all
    activated in the export preferences. I don't know why that would cause
    intermittant problems, but it's worth checking. It sounds like you may be
    experiencing a third-party conflict; something that affects clipboard
    behavior. Do you have any screen capture software running or some such?
    Try shutting down as many non-essential applications as you can and see if
    the behavior continues.

    --
    Bill
    FHMX/Win98/Athlon2500+/512M

    On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 20:19:33 +0000 (UTC), Trollmama

    Bill Guest

  11. #11

    Here's a work around. Its not elegant but it foolproof.

    I put a rectangle in a separate layer around the art in FH.

    I select objects and the rectangle and export as eps.

    I open the eps in Photoshop.

    Using the rectangle keeps everything registered if a series of
    files is required. Otherwise, the rectangle is not necessary.

    Yea, it's more work but it works every time.

    dp

    D. Guest

  12. #12

    Change the selected object's lineweight from the default 1 point (.3528) to any
    other thickness.

    Then copy special

    select eps

    Create new doent in photoshop cs or 7
    Then paste

    This does not work using the default line thickness for some reason.....

    rupert12345 Guest

  13. #13

    Hi, and thanks for the VERY useful tip = NORTON. That damned software is
    causing more problems than it has ever helped me. My pasting problems went
    straight away after turning that off... So others, check if you have Norton
    runnig in the background. It might be quite confusing, cause in some cases you
    really don?t know if it+s running or not...

    Cheers,
    Kamel

    KamelGraphiks Guest

  14. #14

    NORTON is the cause of all of my copy / paste issues between Freehand MX and
    Photoshop 7 as well.
    I ran Anti-virus to update definitions....and thought...oh heck I will leave
    the auto-protection on.
    That very same day I had these exact issues...totally baffled me. The copy /
    paste worked perfectly for over a year and I do A LOT of this copy / paste to
    Photoshop.

    I had been purging the clipboard in photoshop with limited success...maybe 1
    out of every 6 purges helped.
    Once I read this forum and turned off auto-protect in antivirus everything is
    back to normal.

    What is it with Symantec??????

    MitchJ Guest

  15. #15

    Viruses in JPEG images are a concern on Windows PCs. See this article.

    http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-5366314.html

    "Microsoft published on Tuesday a patch for a major security flaw in its
    software's handling of the JPEG graphics format and urged customers to use a
    new tool to locate the many applications that are vulnerable. "

    Perhaps Norton Antivirus is somehow altering the image structure or
    stripping out some info that Photoshop needs. You'd have to ask Symantec.

    Judy Arndt
    (slightly safer on a Mac)

    Judy Guest

  16. #16

    Hi,

    Well, I did discover I had Norton running in the background, turned everything
    off, and I still can't do seamless copy/pasting as I used to in old OS with FH
    9 and PS7 - I've tried everything everyone has suggested, and then some .... to
    no avail. My productivity has gone down the drain as I spend an hour trying to
    get a vector logo from FH to PS without any white background.

    All I want is to have everything work the way it used to - am I asking too
    much??

    Trollmama Guest

  17. #17

    Export / PhotoShop 5/ include layers. Open file in PhotoShop......sweet!
    Works great every time here.

    OS X 10.3.5 _ Dual G4_ 2gb RAM
    FH MX PhotSop 7.0.1
    No Norton
    skipwilly Guest

  18. #18

    I agree that the Photoshop 5 export works fine for RGB images. I find that
    FHMX rasterizes to a much higher quality than previous versions of FH -- not
    quite as good as letting Photoshop rasterize, but pretty good.

    Export to 'Photoshop 5' is a very poor choice for CMYK artwork, as CMYK
    values will not be preserved.

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  19. #19

    Agreed on the cmyk issue. Most of the time I will re-selet the layered items
    and fill w/ the proper colors, or rasterize the vector work as greyscale just
    to get the items into channels. The re-fill process is scriptable, and goes
    quite fast. I will sometimes make a "to_psd" layer in FHMX that has a "Canvas
    Size" box w/ no fill and no path that works as a registration layer when going
    back and forth between FHMX and PSD. As you can tell I use this alot. It is a
    wonderful process/relationship between the two apps.

    skipwilly Guest

  20. #20

    I just read through this thread looking for a problem pasting vector objects
    from FH10 into Photoshop 7...found this website and link through google. It
    worked for me, I added a new keyboard shortcut for "Paste Special", when the
    dialog box appears, select "eps" and paste as "paths" in PS...worked great!

    http://www.digitalmediadesigner.com/2003/05_may/tutorials/psquicktip3030505.htm

    Garincincy Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast