Professional Web Applications Themes

copying dvd's to hard drive - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

I just bought a dvd drive and I want to copy some of my movies to my hard drive so that I don't have to carry them while I travel... So, I go to do a dd if=/dev/sr0 of=/dvds/iceage bs=32768 But, it fails: dd: reading `/dev/sr0': Input/output error 83+1 records in 83+1 records out My bet is that the problem lies in the copy protection. Is there any way to do the copying? Thanks, Scott...

  1. #1

    Default copying dvd's to hard drive

    I just bought a dvd drive and I want to copy some of my movies to my
    hard drive so that I don't have to carry them while I travel... So, I
    go to do a
    dd if=/dev/sr0 of=/dvds/iceage bs=32768
    But, it fails:
    dd: reading `/dev/sr0': Input/output error
    83+1 records in
    83+1 records out

    My bet is that the problem lies in the copy protection. Is there any
    way to do the copying?

    Thanks,
    Scott
    Scott Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: copying dvd's to hard drive

    On 10 Sep 2003 20:40:50 -0700, Scott <googlegroupsscottsavarese.com> wrote:

    > I just bought a dvd drive and I want to copy some of my movies to my
    > hard drive so that I don't have to carry them while I travel... So, I
    > go to do a
    > dd if=/dev/sr0 of=/dvds/iceage bs=32768
    > But, it fails:
    > dd: reading `/dev/sr0': Input/output error
    > 83+1 records in
    > 83+1 records out
    >
    > My bet is that the problem lies in the copy protection. Is there any
    > way to do the copying?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Scott

    That doesn't make any sense.

    Sounds like you are up to piracy.

    If I am wrong, I apologize.

    If I am right, I hope no one helps you.

    Alan C

    --

    take control of your mailbox ----- elrav1 ----- [url]http://tinyurl.com/l55a[/url]

    Alan Connor Guest

  3. #3

    Scott wrote:
    > I just bought a dvd drive and I want to copy some of my movies to my
    > hard drive so that I don't have to carry them while I travel... So, I
    > go to do a
    > dd if=/dev/sr0 of=/dvds/iceage bs=32768
    > But, it fails:
    > dd: reading `/dev/sr0': Input/output error
    > 83+1 records in
    > 83+1 records out
    >
    > My bet is that the problem lies in the copy protection. Is there any
    > way to do the copying?
    You will have to illegally rip the data into an unencoded form.
    It might not cost you too much if you're 12 years old.

    > Thanks,
    > Scott
    Chris Cox Guest

  4. #4

    Chris Cox wrote:
    > Scott wrote:
    >
    >> I just bought a dvd drive and I want to copy some of my movies to my
    >> hard drive so that I don't have to carry them while I travel... So, I
    >> go to do a
    >> dd if=/dev/sr0 of=/dvds/iceage bs=32768
    >> But, it fails:
    >> dd: reading `/dev/sr0': Input/output error
    >> 83+1 records in
    >> 83+1 records out
    >>
    >> My bet is that the problem lies in the copy protection. Is there any
    >> way to do the copying?
    >

    > You will have to illegally rip the data into an unencoded form.
    > It might not cost you too much if you're 12 years old.
    DVD recorders have various "features" built into them to prevent exactly
    this. You need to unlock the encryption keys for duplicating DVD's. The
    courts are fighting this one out right now, but you might look into the
    history of the DECSS software that was used to play DVD's and exposed
    the ludicruous simplicity of the encryption/locking techniques the
    manufacturers use.

    Nico Kadel-Garcia Guest

  5. #5

    [email]googlegroupsscottsavarese.com[/email] (Scott) writes:
    > I just bought a dvd drive and I want to copy some of my movies to my
    > hard drive so that I don't have to carry them while I travel... So, I
    > go to do a
    > dd if=/dev/sr0 of=/dvds/iceage bs=32768
    > But, it fails:
    > dd: reading `/dev/sr0': Input/output error
    > 83+1 records in
    > 83+1 records out
    >
    > My bet is that the problem lies in the copy protection. Is there any
    > way to do the copying?
    It's possible, but it might be illegal. Check out libdvdread and
    libdvdcss.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    [email]mruusers.sf.net[/email]

  6. #6

    On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 03:55:52 +0000, Alan Connor wrote:
    > That doesn't make any sense.
    >
    > Sounds like you are up to piracy.
    >
    > If I am wrong, I apologize.
    >
    > If I am right, I hope no one helps you.
    >
    > Alan C
    A priate wouldn't be advertising like this. They're a bit more
    sophisticated. At least the large-scale ones. And if they're this
    stupid, they won't be around too long.

    I always thought you could copy the .VOB files without too many problems -
    but the data in them is encrypted, so you still need a decryption
    algorithm to play them, even if you copy them.

    No?

    Anyway DeCSS libs are out there. You can see how it's done.

    --Dondo
    Captain Dondo Guest

  7. #7

    Scott wrote:
    > I just bought a dvd drive and I want to copy some of my movies to my
    > hard drive so that I don't have to carry them while I travel... So, I
    > go to do a
    > dd if=/dev/sr0 of=/dvds/iceage bs=32768
    > But, it fails:
    > dd: reading `/dev/sr0': Input/output error
    > 83+1 records in
    > 83+1 records out
    >
    > My bet is that the problem lies in the copy protection. Is there any
    > way to do the copying?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Scott
    Why should it be illegal to make backup copies on a laptop when you
    legally own the original DVDs? Just because you don't want to carry DVD
    around, knowing they are expensive and you could dommage them ?

    Jacoby Yves Guest

  8. #8

    [email]googlegroupsscottsavarese.com[/email] (Scott) writes:
    >I just bought a dvd drive and I want to copy some of my movies to my
    >hard drive so that I don't have to carry them while I travel... So, I
    >go to do a
    > dd if=/dev/sr0 of=/dvds/iceage bs=32768
    >But, it fails:
    > dd: reading `/dev/sr0': Input/output error
    > 83+1 records in
    > 83+1 records out
    I put the dvd in my drive, mounted it, & used the command

    cp -pr /dvd /[disk_directory]/.

    It plays back using ogle compiled with decss. YMMV, esp. since this
    particular dvd was a gift from a friend who traveled in China.

    --
    <> Robert Geer & Donna Tomky | |||| We sure |||| <>
    <> [email]bgeerxmission.com[/email] | == == find it == == <>

  9. #9

    Jacoby Yves writes:
    > Why should it be illegal to make backup copies on a laptop when you
    > legally own the original DVDs?
    "Should" has nothing to do with it. Copyright law makes the creation of
    copies the sole right of the copyright owner. I hope you don't labor under
    the delusion that the law has anything to do with right and wrong or
    morality.
    --
    John Hasler
    [email]johndhh.gt.org[/email] (John Hasler)

  10. #10

    Jacoby Yves wrote:

    > Why should it be illegal to make backup copies on a laptop when you
    > legally own the original DVDs? Just because you don't want to carry DVD
    > around, knowing they are expensive and you could dommage them ?

    Good question. The answer unfortunately is "because".

    Chris Cox Guest

  11. #11

    Captain Dondo wrote:
    > I always thought you could copy the .VOB files without too many problems -
    > but the data in them is encrypted, so you still need a decryption
    > algorithm to play them, even if you copy them.
    >
    > No?
    No. Unless you have a magic DVD drive (and there are some
    out there).

    > Anyway DeCSS libs are out there. You can see how it's done.
    Yep.

    Chris Cox Guest

  12. #12

    On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 13:08:00 -0500, Chris Cox wrote:
    > Good question. The answer unfortunately is "because".
    Because in the US we have a bunch of politicians who a) don't understand
    technology, b) are afraid of technology, and c) are bought and paid for by
    the entertainment industry.

    Who else would have tried to make encryption illegal, given us the DMCA,
    and the Clipper chip? And incidentally given European companies an
    enormous head start in the info security field? (US universities do the
    basic research, then US companies are forbidded by US law from using it.
    ARGHH!)

    -Dondo
    Captain Dondo Guest

  13. #13

    Dondo writes:
    > Because in the US we have a bunch of politicians who a) don't understand
    > technology, b) are afraid of technology, and c) are bought and paid for
    > by the entertainment industry.
    Please list the countries where copying such works is legal.
    > Who else would have tried to make encryption illegal, given us the DMCA,
    > and the Clipper chip?
    Any government that could get away with it. You might want to look up some
    of the European Commission's recent directives (BTW we _don't_ have the
    Clipper chip).
    > US universities do the basic research, then US companies are forbidded by
    > US law from using it.
    Examples please.

  14. #14

    On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 13:08:00 -0500, Chris Cox <ccox_nopenotthisairmail.net> wrote:

    > Jacoby Yves wrote:
    >>
    >> Why should it be illegal to make backup copies on a laptop when you
    >> legally own the original DVDs? Just because you don't want to carry DVD
    >> around, knowing they are expensive and you could dommage them ?
    >>

    > Good question. The answer unfortunately is "because".

    The answer is that a very large number of people just flat out rip off
    the music/film companies.

    Either by distributing stolen data or by accepting it.

    They try to sugarcoat it, but it's theft, pure and simple.

    Who pays for it? The honest customers, the workers at the company, the
    stockholders........The ARTISTS.

    How can someone rip off someone whose art they like?

    Are they supposed to work for nothing to please people?

    Note that these same thieves would be FURIOUS if someone stole what THEY
    made a living from....

    Alan C

  15. #15

    On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 19:47:21 +0000, Alan Connor wrote:
    > On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 13:08:00 -0500, Chris Cox <ccox_nopenotthisairmail.net> wrote:
    >>

    >> Jacoby Yves wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Why should it be illegal to make backup copies on a laptop when you
    >>> legally own the original DVDs? Just because you don't want to carry DVD
    >>> around, knowing they are expensive and you could dommage them ?
    >>>

    >> Good question. The answer unfortunately is "because".
    >>

    > The answer is that a very large number of people just flat out rip off
    > the music/film companies.
    >
    > Either by distributing stolen data or by accepting it.
    >
    > They try to sugarcoat it, but it's theft, pure and simple.
    >
    > Who pays for it? The honest customers, the workers at the company, the
    > stockholders........The ARTISTS.
    >
    > How can someone rip off someone whose art they like?
    >

    > Are they supposed to work for nothing to please people?
    >
    > Note that these same thieves would be FURIOUS if someone stole what THEY
    > made a living from....
    >

    > Alan C
    You're full of , Alan

    nolo Guest

  16. #16

    On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 19:47:21 +0000, Alan Connor wrote:
    > Who pays for it? The honest customers, the workers at the company, the
    > stockholders........The ARTISTS.
    >
    > How can someone rip off someone whose art they like?
    Do you know how much a small artist actually makes from the sale of their
    CDs by a large company? $0.

    All that profit (and there it gobs) goes to pay the richest fatcats at the
    top of the foodchain - the record companies.

    It costs <$2 to put a CD on the shelves at the local CD store - inlcuding
    paying the artist. The wholesale price is something like $10. Given the
    profit at most retail operations, the retail price should be closer to
    $4-5, not $16-$19 like today......

    I'm not condoning piracy, just don't believe that the poor starving artist
    is getting ripped off. S/he got ripped off when they cut the album.

    And have you actually tried to get the major companies to give you rights
    to play/copy their music? I tried. It took months; persistent phone
    calls, emails, etc. One of three eventually replied; I got the right to
    play the music, but I still can't get anone to tell me if I can copy it.

    Most of the piracy is caused by the attitude of the largest companies, and
    the rampant law breaking is simply a rebelion against their greed and
    profiteering.

    -Dondo
    Captain Dondo Guest

  17. #17

    Alan Connor <alanconnorearthlink.net> wrote in message news:<cnS7b.7568$Yt.985newsread4.news.pas.earthli nk.net>...
    > That doesn't make any sense.
    >
    > Sounds like you are up to piracy.

    Ummm... I have no intent to sell any of the dvd's I plan on copying...
    Not like you believe me or anything...
    > If I am wrong, I apologize.
    Good...

    > If I am right, I hope no one helps you.
    Cold... Very cold...

    Scott
    Scott Guest

  18. #18

    On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 20:39:42 GMT, nolo <nolonowherenohow.com> wrote:

    > On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 19:47:21 +0000, Alan Connor wrote:

    >>> Good question. The answer unfortunately is "because".
    >>>

    >> The answer is that a very large number of people just flat out rip off
    >> the music/film companies.
    >>
    >> Either by distributing stolen data or by accepting it.
    >>
    >> They try to sugarcoat it, but it's theft, pure and simple.
    >>
    >> Who pays for it? The honest customers, the workers at the company, the
    >> stockholders........The ARTISTS.
    >>
    >> How can someone rip off someone whose art they like?
    >>

    >> Are they supposed to work for nothing to please people?
    >>
    >> Note that these same thieves would be FURIOUS if someone stole what THEY
    >> made a living from....
    >>

    >> Alan C
    >
    > You're full of , Alan

    Now there's a nice, intelligent response.

    Exactly what point of mine is wrong, and why is it wrong?

    Or does everyone just have to take your word for it because you can use
    big words like ""?

    Alan C

  19. #19

    On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 17:27:47 -0400, Captain Dondo <yanNsOeSiPnAeMr.com> wrote:

    > On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 19:47:21 +0000, Alan Connor wrote:
    >
    >> Who pays for it? The honest customers, the workers at the company, the
    >> stockholders........The ARTISTS.
    >>
    >> How can someone rip off someone whose art they like?
    >
    > Do you know how much a small artist actually makes from the sale of their
    > CDs by a large company? $0.

    That's nonsense. They make a small amount and millions of times a small
    amount is a LARGE amount.

    > All that profit (and there it gobs) goes to pay the richest fatcats at the
    > top of the foodchain - the record companies.

    Yes. And all of that record company's employees: the vast bulk of it.
    And all of the pensioners whose pension funds are invested in that company.

    > It costs <$2 to put a CD on the shelves at the local CD store - inlcuding
    > paying the artist.

    So now you say the artists are paid. You are one confused person.

    The wholesale price is something like $10. Given the
    > profit at most retail operations, the retail price should be closer to
    > $4-5, not $16-$19 like today......

    Which you say not being one of the companies investors or workers or artists.

    > I'm not condoning piracy, just don't believe that the poor starving artist
    > is getting ripped off. S/he got ripped off when they cut the album.
    I think you ARE rationalizing piracy.

    The artists DO make quite a bit of money, if people don't rip them off.

    > And have you actually tried to get the major companies to give you rights
    > to play/copy their music? I tried. It took months; persistent phone
    > calls, emails, etc. One of three eventually replied; I got the right to
    > play the music, but I still can't get anone to tell me if I can copy it.

    It's their property.

    > Most of the piracy is caused by the attitude of the largest companies, and
    > the rampant law breaking is simply a rebelion against their greed and
    > profiteering.
    >
    > -Dondo

    The rationalizations of a thief. All criminals can justify their actions.

    It goes with the territory.

    Alan C

  20. #20

    Alan Connor writes:
    > Sounds like you are up to piracy.
    No. Piracy involves robbery and murder on the high seas. He may be up to
    unauthorized copying, but he isn't up to piracy.
    > I have no intent to sell any of the dvd's I plan on copying...
    In that case all they can do is sue you for $150,000 per DVD (plus legal
    expenses).

    BTW the illegality of copying DVDs (even for your own use) is not something
    put in place at the behest of Hollywood. It would be illegal even if US
    copyright law had not changed since the 18th century.
    > Not like you believe me or anything...
    I believe you, and I don't consider it wrong. Just illegal.
    --
    John Hasler
    [email]johndhh.gt.org[/email] (John Hasler)
    Dancing Horse Hill
    Elmwood, WI
    John Hasler Guest

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast