Professional Web Applications Themes

Copying DVDs? - Mac Applications & Software

Thomas Reed <spam.me> wrote:   > > > > Try telling your children to be more careful with DVDs[/ref] > > Oooh, helpful reply. Hey, I have an idea -- how about if you're more > careful with your own computer, and then you can never back it up > again. After all, if you're careful, mistakes can never happen, right?[/ref] I'd also be interested in making a backup, of my OS 10.2.3 DVD. -- madiba...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Copying DVDs?

    --
    madiba
    madiba Guest

  2. #2

    If you are using OS X, the fastest way to backup is with DVDBackup (freeware),
    DVD2oneX (about $55US) and Roxio's Toast Titanium ($89-99US).

    1st: The DVD must be backed up to the hard drive using DVDbackup. If the kids
    watch the movie on the computer there is no reason to go further. Apples' DVD
    player can play the files saved to the hard drive (a larger hard drive may be
    nesessary).
    2nd: DVD2oneX takes the backup and compresses the movie down to fit on a
    standard 4.3 GB blank DVD-r.
    3rd: Toast Titanium is needed to burn the DVD files to a new blank disk.

    Time varies depending on size of movie, amount of compression and burning speed
    but doing it all steps at once expect about 2+ hours with 2x burn speed, about
    3+ hours with 1x burn speeds.

    [url]http://www.wormintheapple.gr/macdvd/DVDbackup.html[/url]

    [url]http://www.dvd2one.com/[/url]

    [url]http://www.roxio.com/en/products/toast/index.jhtml[/url]
    SteveINK Guest

  3. #3

    In article <20030708133932.02908.00000033mb-m29.aol.com>, SteveINK
    <steveinkaol.comornot> wrote:
    > If you are using OS X, the fastest way to backup is with DVDBackup (freeware),
    > DVD2oneX (about $55US) and Roxio's Toast Titanium ($89-99US).
    Thanks for the info! I was hoping for a cheaper solution, but this
    one's not too bad, and I've been wanting an excuse to get Toast. :-)

    --
    -Thomas

    e-mail me at thomasareed at philadelphia.net minus phil
    Thomas Reed Guest

  4. #4

    In article <080720031223300807%thomasareeddont.spam.me>,
    Thomas Reed <thomasareeddont.spam.me> wrote:
    > Is there any way to copy DVDs? I've got a machine with a DVD burner,
    > so I'm wondering if this is possible.
    >
    > And before anyone jumps on me about piracy and whatnot, my kids can be
    > rough on DVDs. They recently ruined one. If I had had a backup copy,
    > they could still watch the movie that I paid for and instead would have
    > to pay for again since I didn't. Kind of annoying, like the old-time
    > copy protection of software back in the day of the C-64.
    >
    > So, any tips for me on how to back up my DVD collection?
    You need two things:

    DVDBackup - see the other post. Its free

    DVD2one ([url]www.dvd2one.com[/url]) costs $49 and it will fit a larger DVD onto a
    single recordable for example by eliminating other languages or just
    backing the movie or eliminating sub-titles.

    Greg
    Greg De Villiers Guest

  5. #5

    Thomas Reed <thomasareeddont.spam.me> writes:

    > Is there any way to copy DVDs? I've got a machine with a DVD
    > burner, so I'm wondering if this is possible.
    >
    > And before anyone jumps on me about piracy and whatnot, my kids can
    > be rough on DVDs. They recently ruined one. If I had had a backup
    > copy, they could still watch the movie that I paid for and instead
    > would have to pay for again since I didn't. Kind of annoying, like
    > the old-time copy protection of software back in the day of the
    > C-64.
    >
    > So, any tips for me on how to back up my DVD collection?
    First off, copying DVDs - even for your own personal use - is illegal
    in the US, thanks to the brain-dead DMCA.

    That being said, in order to copy a movie, first you need to rip it to
    your hard drive and decrypt it. If you burn an encrypted disc, you
    won't be able the play the results, because consumer-grade DVD burners
    can't write the region of the disc where the decryption keys are
    stored.

    Once it's on your hard drive and decrypted, if it is smaller than
    4.7GB, you can just burn it and be done.

    But it will probably be too big for that. In which case, you must
    either discard content (if it has multiple soundtracks or bonus
    features, this may be possible) or re-compress the video with a higher
    ratio (which will sacrifice image quality) in order to get it small
    enough to fit in 4.7GB. Or you can break the movie into two pieces
    and burn two separate discs - forcing you to switch discs during
    playback (which might not be too bad if you have a changer.)

    There exists software to do all this. Some web searching should
    find some titles. I can't recommend any because I haven't actually
    tried it myself.

    Good luck.

    -- David
    David C. Guest

  6. #6

    On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 17:23:29 +0100, Thomas Reed wrote:
    > Is there any way to copy DVDs? I've got a machine with a DVD burner,
    > so I'm wondering if this is possible.
    >
    > And before anyone jumps on me about piracy and whatnot, my kids can be
    > rough on DVDs. They recently ruined one. If I had had a backup copy,
    > they could still watch the movie that I paid for and instead would have
    > to pay for again since I didn't. Kind of annoying, like the old-time
    > copy protection of software back in the day of the C-64.
    >
    > So, any tips for me on how to back up my DVD collection?
    Try telling your children to be more careful with DVDs - in fact, show them
    how to handle them and what you shouldn't be doing with them, eg. bending
    them, and leaving them on a hot radiator. Surely that will be less expensive
    method of preserving your DVD collection.
    --
    Regards,
    Micheal Hutchison

    Mike Hutchison Guest

  7. #7

    Thomas Reed <thomasareeddont.spam.me> wrote:
    > > > And before anyone jumps on me about piracy and whatnot, my kids can be
    > > > rough on DVDs.
    > >
    > > Try telling your children to be more careful with DVDs
    >
    > Oooh, helpful reply.
    Well, when me brother and I were growing up, if we damaged any LPs (12
    inch vinyl og audio discs, for anyone to young to remember), we had
    to pay to replace them ourselves. After that policy went into effect,
    we somehow managed to stop manhandling them.

    --
    Mike Rosenberg

    <http://www.macconsult.com>
    <http://bogart-tribute.net>
    Mike Rosenberg Guest

  8. #8

    Have you looked at DVDBackup?

    http://www.wormintheapple.gr/macdvd/index.html
    http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html

    I use DVDBackup to rip the DVD, and then Roxio Toast Titanium to burn the
    copy. It takes time, but the backup is as good as the original.

    Brian Moore

    On 7/28/03 11:47 PM, in article
    OHaVa.23720$tampabay.rr.com, "Enough"
    <com> wrote:

    >> Well, when me brother and I were growing up, if we damaged any LPs (12
    >> inch vinyl og audio discs, for anyone to young to remember), we had
    >> to pay to replace them ourselves. After that policy went into effect,
    >> we somehow managed to stop manhandling them.[/ref]
    >
    > Don't sweat Ms Reed, Mike.
    >
    > She thinks that everyone should conform themselves for her children. She
    > doesn't want a free Internet - might expose her children to the truth of
    > the real world. She doesn't want to take responsiblity for the little
    > buggers, she wants censoring software. Now she wants to pirate DVDs so
    > her little monster can be as destructive as they want. She is why the
    > world is a pile of ! Make jdoogy look open minded![/ref]

    Brian Guest

  9. #9

    In article <BB4EBBDB.6040%ocn.ne.jp>,
    Brian Moore <ocn.ne.jp> wrote:

    I did the same and got a coaster. The rip is easy but are there any
    special considerations when burning with toast? Do you have to name the
    disc exactly as the original and does the original directory structure
    have to stay intact?

    If you wouldn't mind posting exactly what you do at the Toast phase, it
    would be greatly appreciated. It could have been Toast messing up on me,
    but I'd like to be sure.

    Thanks!
    Vincent Guest