Professional Web Applications Themes

Copying form information - Dreamweaver AppDev

I have two pages based off form information. I'm using Dreamweaver MX 2004 and ColdFusion MX7. The first page is a basic login page. The second page is a questionnaire. At the bottom of the second page I am trying to input the Name of the individual who logged in. How do I display the name (as well as any other information I'm looking for) on the second page based off the username input from the first page? I have only figured out how to display information from my recordset based off information within a given page, not between pages ...

  1. #1

    Default Copying form information

    I have two pages based off form information. I'm using Dreamweaver MX 2004 and
    ColdFusion MX7. The first page is a basic login page. The second page is a
    questionnaire. At the bottom of the second page I am trying to input the Name
    of the individual who logged in. How do I display the name (as well as any
    other information I'm looking for) on the second page based off the username
    input from the first page? I have only figured out how to display information
    from my recordset based off information within a given page, not between pages
    like I am trying to do here. Any help would be most appreciated Thank you.

    littlegreenmen Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Copying form information

    Look into setting session variables for ColdFusion. You'll want to store the
    name of the user in a session variable, then it can be displayed on any page
    while the user is logged in and the session hasn't timed out. You'll get the
    user name from the recordset when the user logs in.

    Ron

    "littlegreenmen" <com> wrote in message

    RYoung Guest

  3. #3

    Thank you for the response. Unfortunately, I am rather new at this so I am not
    sure how to properly set the session variable. I know it has something to do
    with CFApplication. Let me try and descirbe what it is I'm trying to do. I
    have a login page (username/password input boxes). The database that this
    information resides in also has the real name that corresponds to the
    username/password. For example, the login information might be username=admin;
    password=password; and name=John Doe. On the login page you enter
    admin/password. Then, on the second page there is a spot that I am trying to
    insert the name that corresponds to the username. In this case it would be
    John Doe. How do I set a session variable that's dependent upon what you input
    in the username box of the login page that then can be recalled in the second
    page? I have tried, under the Login User form in server behaviors, setting "if
    login succeeds" to 'form.cfm?Username=#Users.Username#' (Users is the dataset
    query in the login page and Username is the heading in the database for the
    usernames). The login page still works fine after I do that. When I set up my
    recordset query (Name) in my second page (form.cfm) I use the advanced tab and
    enter the following SQL:
    SELECT *
    FROM tblUser
    WHERE tblUser.Name = #Username#
    I then copy Name.Name from the query to where I want it to be displayed in the
    table. When I enter the login information in the login page it doesn't display
    the second page. I feel like I'm missing juts one or two steps to get this to
    work. I hope this helps to explain my question a little better. Thank you for
    your help

    littlegreenmen Guest