Professional Web Applications Themes

Copying into Photoshop - Macromedia Freehand

Not always, I think the trouble started with Freehand X. Anyway, apparently Macromedia is aware of at least some aspects of this problem, but I've never found a satisfactory answer. Basically, Photoshop almost always crashes when I come into it with anything from Freehand in the clipboard. There doesn't appear to be much consistency to the crashes. Macromedia suggested "copying special" as an EPS in PS4/5 format. Still crashed. The ONLY consistent workaround I've found is copying artwork from Freehand into Illustrator and then copying into Photoshop. One of these days I'm going to cut out the first step. Any ...

  1. #1

    Default Copying into Photoshop

    Not always, I think the trouble started with Freehand X. Anyway, apparently
    Macromedia is aware of at least some aspects of this problem, but I've never
    found a satisfactory answer. Basically, Photoshop almost always crashes when I
    come into it with anything from Freehand in the clipboard. There doesn't appear
    to be much consistency to the crashes. Macromedia suggested "copying special"
    as an EPS in PS4/5 format. Still crashed.

    The ONLY consistent workaround I've found is copying artwork from Freehand
    into Illustrator and then copying into Photoshop. One of these days I'm going
    to cut out the first step.

    Any help would be appreciated!

    -IW

    Ian Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Copying into Photoshop

    Ian,

    Have you tried the 'Copy Special' feature?

    David
    davecc Guest

  3. #3

    David,

    Yeah I tried that for the first time this morning when I attempted to solve
    the problem once and for all. I have not tried every option in the 'copy
    special' menu, but the one option suggested by MM still crashed Photoshop. The
    suggested option was "Copy EPS for Photoshop 4/5".

    Actually, I just tried it again after having closed out Freehand MX and
    Photoshop (which had crashed out actually). It worked this time. In the past
    things that have worked have been inconsistent though. But I hope the problem
    is solved! Thanks for your input...

    -Ian

    Ian Guest

  4. #4

    David,

    As a P.S. This seems to have worked, have copied a few more complicated paths into PS with success. Still not able to copy paths in though without converting to pixels...

    -Ian
    Ian Guest

  5. #5

    Ian, I am not too familar with copying paths into PS from FH. Maybe, you can
    try saving as an ILL file and then importing it into PS or you can try saving
    the file as an Mac eps. I am quite sure that someone with more experience than
    me would answer your post. Good Luck David

    davecc Guest

  6. #6

    Ian Webster wrote:

    Photoshop clearly has trouble interpreting some of what FHMX puts on to, or
    leaves on, the clipboard. I have found that the following methods work for
    me (FHMX 11.0.2 to Photoshop CS, Mac):

    Preferences > Export > Clipboard > 'Convert Colors to' sets the type of copy
    used when you do a plain Copy command. I keep 'Photoshop 4/5' and
    'Illustrator' checked in my Export prefs.

    PIXELS
    To copy FH vector art to RGB pixels into Photoshop, use
    Edit > Special > Copy Special 'Photoshop 4/5'. If Export prefs are set to
    'Photoshop 4/5', then you can use a plain Copy command.

    PATHS
    To copy FH paths to PS paths or shape layers, you may need a preparatory
    step to clear the clipboard. First, do a 'Photoshop 4/5' copy and paste as
    pixels. (You can delete this PS layer later). Your source colors in FH need
    to be the same color space (CMYK or RGB) as the target PS doent.

    Then choose Copy Special as EPS using the correct color space for the target
    doent.

    I know it seems illogical that you need to be so particular about color
    space when you only want to copy paths, but that's how it is. This works
    consistently for me. Hope it helps.

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  7. #7

    MM know about this but do not have a fix yet - they suggest you paste into photoshop as pixels. Big help. If you have Illustrator, you can always do a sideways import.

    PeterBex Guest

  8. #8

    Thanks everyone for your help! Much appreciated. I think my problem with
    exporting pixels thanks to your feedback, and I will probably just continue to
    bounce my paths through Illustrator on the way to PS. If only Freehand
    integrated as well as it used to with Photoshop...

    But, as my high school driving instructor used to say, "If ifs and buts were
    berries and nuts, we'd all have a very merry Christmas."

    I think he did some drinking on the sly.

    Thanks again, Ian

    Ian Guest