Professional Web Applications Themes

Copyright symbols - Adobe Illustrator Windows

I am working with Illustrator 10, and I can't seem to find a way to insert em dashes, en dashes, copyright symbols, trademarks, registered symbols, etc... Are these built into Illustrator 10, and if so where do I find them? Seth Meranda...

  1. #1

    Default Copyright symbols

    Majicman17@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Copyright symbols

    Maj,

    Are these built into Illustrator 10...

    No, these are built into Windows. See Character Map.

    Dash conversion can be handled by Illustrator via the Smart Punctuation feature.

    Get gack to us if Windows/Illustrator manuals/help leave you scratching your head.

    =-= Harron =-=
    Harron_K._Appleman@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Seth,

    Remember to start using the key-strokes to input these symbols (usually alt-#### entered only on the keypad). No, I won't give you the keystroke for Copyright, you need to learn it for youself so you know how to find it and input it ;).

    Jonathan
    Jonathan_McClintic@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    InDesign has a library built into it, all I want is to know where to start.
    What are the keystrokes?

    Seth

  5. #5

    windows start menu -> programs -> accessories -> system tools -> character map. They are not built into Illustrator, and not every font family has them all.
    Jonathan_McClintic@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Or you could type "charmap" into Start/Run.
    Timothy_Foolery®@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Even better!! Good one Tim. I'll one up that, though. The easiest way to get to run is Windows key-R.
    Jonathan_McClintic@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Cool shortcut. I haven't looked into gamers bane winders key shotcuts really.
    Timothy_Foolery®@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    wind-F = find files
    wind-L = switch users in xp (does not log out all the way, just back to log in screen)
    wind-e = my computer
    wind-u = Utility manager (don't ask, it's for impaired access)
    wind-d or m = Minimize all windows to desktop
    wind-f1 = windows help and support center

    That is all, I think.
    Jonathan_McClintic@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    WINKEY + D Minimizes all windows and returns the user to the desktop.
    WINKEY + M Minimizes all windows.
    WINKEY + SHIFT + M Undo the minimize.
    WINKEY + E Open Windows Explorer.
    WINKEY + Tab Cycle through open programs through the taskbar.
    WINKEY + F Display the Windows Search / Find feature.
    WINKEY + CTRL + F Display the search for computers window.
    WINKEY + F1 Display the Microsoft Windows help.
    WINKEY + R Open the run window.
    WINKEY + Pause / Break key Open the system properties window.
    WINKEY + U Open Utility Manager.
    WINKEY + L Lock the computer (Windows XP and above only).
    Harron_K._Appleman@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    Very cool! Thanks guys. :D
    Timothy_Foolery®@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    On my beloved (if aging) Cherry click keyboard there's no Winkey... :-(

    LenHewitt@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    Len,

    The "click" is critically important to me, as well.

    If ever you decide to replace your Cherry, I highly recommend the Avant Stellar (descended from the Northgate OmniKey):

    <http://www.cvtinc.com/products/keyboards/stellar.htm>

    The individual Alps switches provide sensational tactile feedback, the function keys are at the left where they belong (making it easy to do stuff like Alt+F4 and Ctrl+F6 without manual acrobatics), virtually all keys are relocatable, and the 12 programmable keys (modifiable via Ctrl, Alt, etc.) open up entirely new vistas of abuse for keyboard shortcut freaks like me.

  14. #14

    Thanks Harron - although knowing how the industry equates dollars and
    sterling, I suspect it would need to be gold-plated (on the outside, not
    just the contacts!) to make it appealing here <g>

    I can build a whole machine (albeit not a terribly powerful one) including
    monitor, keyboard, mouse and speakers for the same amount ;-)

    LenHewitt@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15

    ????? Did that say $189??? Wow, you can get a wireless keyboard and mouse from Microsoft or Logitech for less that half of that!!! Insane!

    Jon
    Jonathan_McClintic@adobeforums.com Guest

  16. #16

    Insane!

    Perhaps it is overpriced. But if you do a lot of writing, as I do... and are particular about the tools you use to make a living... and really don't like the feel of membrane switch keyboards (that's 99.99 percent of what's out there)... and have discovered there really are no alternatives... it's worth it.

    I look at it this way: the keyboard costs less than a lot of the software I use. The software must be upgraded periodically. This keyboard will probably last me the rest of my life. (It's already served me many years -- through a couple of machine upgrades.)

    It did hurt to shell out the money, but I haven't regretted it.

  17. #17

    Harron,

    Over here, by the time you've added import duty, shipping, VAT and
    sterling/dollar fund transfer costs, I reckon the cost would be at least
    $300.00.

    LenHewitt@adobeforums.com Guest

  18. #18

    That would qualify as excessive.

    I'll try to smuggle one in for you the next time I travel to the UK.

    #8~)
    Harron_K._Appleman@adobeforums.com Guest

  19. #19

    Hold the front Page!

    Shock Horror! - Keyboard Mule arrested at Heathrow Airport! - Interpol on
    Maximum Alert <vbg>

    LenHewitt@adobeforums.com Guest

  20. #20

    Heh, heh...

    Actually, you know, it's not that far-fetched. (I tell this only to illustrate how important the right keyboard is to nutty typists like me.)

    I once took a keyboard with me (along with my laptop) on a week-long writing assignment in Japan. It just barely fit in my carry-on. Although I had chosen my laptop on the basis of keyboard design and feel as much as other criteria, the thought of doing that much typing on the thing was odious to me. At the time, it made perfect sense to take along a keyboard that virtually doubled my traveling computer nal.

    Although never stopped at customs, it was my plan, if questioned, to explain it away on the basis of my profession and intentions. A used keyboard, in particular, should have posed no difficulty.

    So, I'll meet you in one of the out-of-the-way parking lots at Heathrow, where we can perform the clandestine transaction.

    #8~)
    Harron_K._Appleman@adobeforums.com Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast