Professional Web Applications Themes

core dump and shared libs - AIX

We are trying to debug core file on our local machine that was created on some production machine (the same OS level AIX4.3.3). The problem is that dbx is always trying to load shared libraries using the full paths from the machine where the core was generated. We have tried to set LIBPATH but it does not help. Only workaround for us it to create the same directory structure on the local machine like the one from the production machine. Root privileges are usually needed to create all directories. Is there any way to force dbx to load shared ...

  1. #1

    Default core dump and shared libs

    We are trying to debug core file on our local machine that was created
    on some production machine (the same OS level AIX4.3.3).
    The problem is that dbx is always trying to load shared libraries
    using the full paths from the machine where the core was generated. We
    have tried to set LIBPATH but it does not help. Only workaround for us
    it to create the same directory structure on the local machine like
    the one from the production machine. Root privileges are usually
    needed to create all directories.
    Is there any way to force dbx to load shared libraries using the local
    directories and local environment instead of the one from the machine
    where the core was created?
    SA_FULLDUMP is already set to include the data segment in the core
    dump. Is it possible to create core file with the text segment in,
    too?

    The error that dbx reports when we try to load core is:
    reading symbolic information ...dbx: fatal error: 1283-012 cannot open
    /ORIGIN_PATH/SOMESHAREDLIB.so

    Thanks,
    Vlad
    Vlada Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: core dump and shared libs

    "Vlada" <vlada1703> wrote in message
    news:cc337624.0308140938.71bdb6b5posting.google.c om...
    > We are trying to debug core file on our local machine that was created
    > on some production machine (the same OS level - AIX4.3.3).
    > The problem is that dbx is always trying to load shared libraries
    > using the full paths from the machine where the core was generated. We
    > have tried to set LIBPATH but it does not help. Only workaround for us
    > it to create the same directory structure on the local machine like
    > the one from the production machine.
    It's far easier to simply do a binary find and replace on the old library
    path to point somewhere else. For example, I often find and replace /usr/lib
    with /smc/lib (which I symlink to a subdirectory of my home directory) and
    put the libraries in there. Make sure you keep a backup copy of the old core
    file, but doing this shouldn't in any way effect your ability to debug using
    the core file.
    > SA_FULLDUMP is already set to include the data segment in the core
    > dump. Is it possible to create core file with the text segment in,
    > too?
    I don't think so.

    Cheers,
    Shaun

    Shaun Clowes Guest

  3. #3

    In article <W9U_a.559$U74.32098news.optus.net.au>,
    Shaun Clowes <deliusno.spam.for.me.progsoc.org> wrote:

    >"Vlada" <vlada1703> wrote in message
    >news:cc337624.0308140938.71bdb6b5posting.google. com...
    >> We are trying to debug core file on our local machine that was created
    >> on some production machine (the same OS level - AIX4.3.3).
    >> The problem is that dbx is always trying to load shared libraries
    >> using the full paths from the machine where the core was generated. We
    >> have tried to set LIBPATH but it does not help. Only workaround for us
    >> it to create the same directory structure on the local machine like
    >> the one from the production machine.
    >
    >> SA_FULLDUMP is already set to include the data segment in the core
    >> dump. Is it possible to create core file with the text segment in,
    >> too?
    >
    >I don't think so.
    This is possible in recent versions of 5.1 and 5.2 with the -p option.

    Guest

  4. #4

    Vlada <vlada1703> wrote:
    V> We are trying to debug core file on our local machine that was created
    V> on some production machine (the same OS level ? AIX4.3.3).
    V> The problem is that dbx is always trying to load shared libraries
    V> using the full paths from the machine where the core was generated. We
    V> have tried to set LIBPATH but it does not help. Only workaround for us
    V> it to create the same directory structure on the local machine like
    V> the one from the production machine. Root privileges are usually
    V> needed to create all directories.
    V> Is there any way to force dbx to load shared libraries using the local
    V> directories and local environment instead of the one from the machine
    V> where the core was created?

    Perhaps this will help:

    [url]http://publib16.boulder.ibm.com/doc_link/en_US/a_doc_lib/cmds/aixcmds2/dbx.htm#a3009c0b[/url]

    V> SA_FULLDUMP is already set to include the data segment in the core
    V> dump. Is it possible to create core file with the text segment in,
    V> too?

    What about doing chdev -l sys0 -a fullcore=true? This might
    not dump the text segments as you desire, but I don't know
    as much about the new core dump behavior as you do. (Does
    AIX dump any text segments of a process that are paged out?)

    Regards,

    Nicholas

    --
    "Why shouldn't I top-post?" [url]http://www.aglami.com/tpfaq.html[/url]