Professional Web Applications Themes

corrupted directory on X-drive II - Photography

I have a corrupted directory (CF0007) on my x-drive. I can't delete this directory. I have tried deleting it from Windows and from DOS. When I try to delete it from DOS, it says the file or directory is corrupt or unreadable and to run chkdsk. When I try that, I get: E:\>chkdsk /f The type of the file system is FAT32. Cannot lock current drive. Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Chkdsk may run if this volume is dismounted first. ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID. Would you like ...

  1. #1

    Default corrupted directory on X-drive II

    I have a corrupted directory (CF0007) on my x-drive. I can't delete
    this directory. I have tried deleting it from Windows and from DOS.
    When I try to delete it from DOS, it says the file or directory is
    corrupt or unreadable and to run chkdsk. When I try that, I get:

    E:\>chkdsk /f
    The type of the file system is FAT32.
    Cannot lock current drive.

    Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
    process. Chkdsk may run if this volume is dismounted first.
    ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID.
    Would you like to force a dismount on this volume? (Y/N) y
    Volume dismounted. All opened handles to this volume are now invalid.

    Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
    process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be
    checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N) n

    Is this because the drive is mounted via USB? I haven't tried to
    restart my computer, but I've stopped and removed the x-drive and then
    remounted it, I still get the same error.

    Is there any way to get rid of this corrupted directory without
    pulling the disk from the x-drive and mounting it directly, or
    reformatting? (Both are problematic since I'm using an XP laptop with
    no way to mount a hard drive "directly" and with XPs format
    limitations, this is a 40 GB hard drive.) Is there a better newsgroup
    to discuss this problem with my x-drive?

    jc
    JC Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: corrupted directory on X-drive II

    When you ran CHKDSK /F and CHKDSK indicated -
    "Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts?
    (Y/N)"

    You need to provide Y for "yes" then reboot the PC. That is all that is needed.

    --
    Dave

    "JC Dill" <net> wrote in message
    | I have a corrupted directory (CF0007) on my x-drive. I can't delete
    | this directory. I have tried deleting it from Windows and from DOS.
    | When I try to delete it from DOS, it says the file or directory is
    | corrupt or unreadable and to run chkdsk. When I try that, I get:
    |
    | E:\>chkdsk /f
    | The type of the file system is FAT32.
    | Cannot lock current drive.
    |
    | Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
    | process. Chkdsk may run if this volume is dismounted first.
    | ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID.
    | Would you like to force a dismount on this volume? (Y/N) y
    | Volume dismounted. All opened handles to this volume are now invalid.
    |
    | Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
    | process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be
    | checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N) n
    |
    | Is this because the drive is mounted via USB? I haven't tried to
    | restart my computer, but I've stopped and removed the x-drive and then
    | remounted it, I still get the same error.
    |
    | Is there any way to get rid of this corrupted directory without
    | pulling the disk from the x-drive and mounting it directly, or
    | reformatting? (Both are problematic since I'm using an XP laptop with
    | no way to mount a hard drive "directly" and with XPs format
    | limitations, this is a 40 GB hard drive.) Is there a better newsgroup
    | to discuss this problem with my x-drive?
    |
    | jc

    David Guest

  3. #3

    I haven't tried that myself but it would seem to me that unless he has a DOS
    based USB driver for that drive, Chkdsk will never get to it since the USB
    ports won't be seen until the Operating System initializes them.

    Would he not need something like Knoppix (Linux) that runs from a CD so he
    can get to it?

    Bob S.

    "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~Verizon.Net> wrote in message
    system restarts?
    needed.

    BobS Guest

  4. #4

    NO.

    The Win2K or WinXP OS would load the drivers needed to create a drive letter and it will run
    a character based view of the Check Disk process prior to running the Win32 GUI.

    --
    Dave

    "BobS" <com> wrote in message
    | I haven't tried that myself but it would seem to me that unless he has a DOS
    | based USB driver for that drive, Chkdsk will never get to it since the USB
    | ports won't be seen until the Operating System initializes them.
    |
    | Would he not need something like Knoppix (Linux) that runs from a CD so he
    | can get to it?
    |
    | Bob S.
    |

    | "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~Verizon.Net> wrote in message
    | > When you ran CHKDSK /F and CHKDSK indicated -
    | > "Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the
    | system restarts?
    | > (Y/N)"
    | >
    | > You need to provide Y for "yes" then reboot the PC. That is all that is
    | needed.
    | >
    | > --
    | > Dave
    | >

    | > "JC Dill" <net> wrote in message
    | > | I have a corrupted directory (CF0007) on my x-drive. I can't delete
    | > | this directory. I have tried deleting it from Windows and from DOS.
    | > | When I try to delete it from DOS, it says the file or directory is
    | > | corrupt or unreadable and to run chkdsk. When I try that, I get:
    | > |
    | > | E:\>chkdsk /f
    | > | The type of the file system is FAT32.
    | > | Cannot lock current drive.
    | > |
    | > | Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
    | > | process. Chkdsk may run if this volume is dismounted first.
    | > | ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID.
    | > | Would you like to force a dismount on this volume? (Y/N) y
    | > | Volume dismounted. All opened handles to this volume are now invalid.
    | > |
    | > | Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
    | > | process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be
    | > | checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N) n
    | > |
    | > | Is this because the drive is mounted via USB? I haven't tried to
    | > | restart my computer, but I've stopped and removed the x-drive and then
    | > | remounted it, I still get the same error.
    | > |
    | > | Is there any way to get rid of this corrupted directory without
    | > | pulling the disk from the x-drive and mounting it directly, or
    | > | reformatting? (Both are problematic since I'm using an XP laptop with
    | > | no way to mount a hard drive "directly" and with XPs format
    | > | limitations, this is a 40 GB hard drive.) Is there a better newsgroup
    | > | to discuss this problem with my x-drive?
    | > |
    | > | jc

    David Guest

  5. #5

    Dave,

    Thanks and I'll give that a try on a spare USB drive I have where I store
    photo's. Good to know that.

    Bob S.

    "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~Verizon.Net> wrote in message
    letter and it will run
    Win32 GUI.
    DOS
    USB