Professional Web Applications Themes

Cost effective backup device..? - Mac Portable

What's the most cost effective backup device for 6-GB G3 Powerbook which has SCSI, USB, and PCMCIA, (i.e. no Firewire). It would be handy if there's a PCMCIA Flash-card which holds a decent amount of data... Three years ago I bought a clunky external 18-GB SCSI for it... but it seized fairly quickly, (I guess it was a bad idea to daily transport it on the back of a Ducati..). -- peer [to contact me by email, remove the NO-NO-SPAAM tag from my address]...

  1. #1

    Default Cost effective backup device..?

    What's the most cost effective backup device for 6-GB G3 Powerbook which
    has SCSI, USB, and PCMCIA, (i.e. no Firewire). It would be handy if
    there's a PCMCIA Flash-card which holds a decent amount of data...

    Three years ago I bought a clunky external 18-GB SCSI for it... but it
    seized fairly quickly, (I guess it was a bad idea to daily transport it on
    the back of a Ducati..).

    -- peer

    [to contact me by email, remove the NO-NO-SPAAM tag from my address]

    Peer Landa Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Cost effective backup device..?

    In article <be5bpp$3ip$1news.Stanford.EDU>, Peer Landa
    <NO-NO-SPAAMpeerccrma.stanford.edu> wrote:
    > What's the most cost effective backup device for 6-GB G3 Powerbook which
    > has SCSI, USB, and PCMCIA, (i.e. no Firewire). It would be handy if
    > there's a PCMCIA Flash-card which holds a decent amount of data...
    >
    > Three years ago I bought a clunky external 18-GB SCSI for it... but it
    > seized fairly quickly, (I guess it was a bad idea to daily transport it on
    > the back of a Ducati..).
    >
    > -- peer
    >

    > [to contact me by email, remove the NO-NO-SPAAM tag from my address]

    My Lombard G3 laptop has no firewire either - but as long as you have
    Cardbus/PCMCIA capabilties, then you can add it in for < $30 USD.

    I regularily back up my 18 gig Lombard internal drive to an external
    FirewWire/SB 2.0 120 gig harddrive.

    HTH..

    Milton
    Milton Aupperle Guest

  3. #3

    Peer Landa <NO-NO-SPAAMpeerccrma.stanford.edu> wrote:
    > What's the most cost effective backup device for 6-GB G3 Powerbook which
    > has SCSI, USB, and PCMCIA, (i.e. no Firewire). It would be handy if
    > there's a PCMCIA Flash-card which holds a decent amount of data...
    >
    > Three years ago I bought a clunky external 18-GB SCSI for it... but it
    > seized fairly quickly, (I guess it was a bad idea to daily transport it on
    > the back of a Ducati..).

    It really depends on your cirstances. I connect my iBook to the
    network at work everyday and I each lunch at 11:30. My most effective
    backup device is the network server. I simply backup my doent folder
    every day while at lunch. (talk to your network administrator first to
    make sure this is okay - or not. Sometimes it is better to ask
    forgiveness than permission!) This is very secure since the server is
    backup up to tape each night.

    My wife doesn't have access to a network server but her home desktop
    has more hard drive than she needs. So her routine is to plug into our
    home network and she backs up to her desktop hard drive nightly.

    If this isn't feasible, then the lowest cost solution will be a USB
    external hard drive. You can make your own (very easy to do) or buy one.
    Yes, USB isn't fast like SCSI or FireWire but you can do your backup
    during lunchbreak or in the evening and it should be fine. The initial
    backup will be the longest by far.

    Finally, if speed is important, get a firewire PC card and a firewire
    external drive.
    Strider Guest

  4. #4

    > What's the most cost effective backup device for 6-GB G3 Powerbook which
    > has SCSI, USB, and PCMCIA, (i.e. no Firewire). It would be handy if
    It depends what you factor into the cost-benefit equation, n'est-ce
    pas?

    For my money, given the type of data I have (highly compressible),
    CD-Rs are the best value. One of the advantages is that once a week I
    can do a full backup and keep it forever, rather than using a volatile
    medium (hard drives) and just overwriting old backups with new all the
    time.

    I use an old Sony USB CD-RW burner and it works fine (under OSX anyway
    - I could never get it working under 9.2.2).
    Lewin A.R.W. Edwards Guest

  5. #5

    germ <germinatornospam.fastmail.fm> writes:
    > In article <be5bpp$3ip$1news.Stanford.EDU>, Peer Landa
    > <NO-NO-SPAAMpeerccrma.stanford.edu> wrote:
    >
    > > What's the most cost effective backup device for 6-GB G3
    > > Powerbook which has SCSI, USB, and PCMCIA, (i.e. no Firewire).
    > > It would be handy if there's a PCMCIA Flash-card which holds a
    [...]

    6GB. _Just_ too big for a DVD-R. :>

    --
    David Magda <dmagda at ee.ryerson.ca>, [url]http://www.magda.ca/[/url]